News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Is this 2009 photo in the same location? I'm not certain.

A quick trip to that intersection, via Google Street views, shows it is the same:
Goldie-Queen-and-simcoe-south.jpg

Although I think the nearest 2 buildings in 1931 are now gone, making a larger parking lot, so the mural isn't on the 'Coleman ad' building, but on a wall we can't see in 1931.

Thanks for the photo!

Aug 24th: Two CNE photos from today, the first from 1920, 90 years ago, of the Percival Gardens:

s0372_ss0052_it0844.jpg

Then to 1946 and the Press Building - originally the Administration Building, built in 1905:
s0372_ss0001_it1745.jpg

There are a couple of other photos in the City of Toronto Archives, showing the paint flaking off in places.

(Details on these two photos are available at http://wholemap.com/historic/toronto.php?month=August&day=24 )

South side Queen Street from Simcoe Street west to 233 - the bank is still there, but some of the smaller buildings along Queen are long gone.

Actually, I think some of those buildings next to the parking (behind the Coleman billboard) *aren't* so long gone--80s, 90s, perhaps? (I might be mistaken.)

August 25th: I'm sure some of you have been thinking: "You know what this thread lacks? A good car crash!" Well you're in luck today, or technically 83 years ago today. Here's a photo of a crash during an auto polo match at the CNE in 1923:
f1266_it1352.jpg

If you'd like more auto polo photos, load up the City of Toronto Archives search page, from http://www.toronto.ca/archives/photographs/index.htm and search on the word polo to find a couple more, along with the more traditional horse variety. You can see the details of this photo, here.

August 28: A selection of photos spanning 60 years today, mostly fun, too... Starting back in 1915 at the Leslie Grove playground festival. Is that Nanny McPhee staring at the camera?

s0372_ss0052_it0538.jpg

Then to 1919 and two shots from the 'Cascades' ride at the Scarborough Beach Park:

f1231_it0574.jpg

f1231_it0575.jpg

Then to 1975 and an amazing car exiting on the left as the photographer takes a picture of the Mr. Submarine at 2433 Eglinton Avenue East at Kennedy Rd.
f1257_s1057_it8596b.jpg

You can see the City of Toronto Archive details, as well as the map locations of these photos, here.

Last edited:
August 31st: Many of the photos in the City of Toronto Archives were taken by Earlscourt Photo Studio, so it is only fair that they have a photo of their building, from 99 years ago today, at No. 1348 St. Clair Avenue West in 1911:

f1231_it0773.jpg

Unfortunately no one told the staff and/or local kids to stand in the sun rather than in the shadows.

September 2nd: Not surprisingly, here are some more photos from the CNE - this time a bike race in 1926, won by Bill Elder.

f1244_it2006.jpg

f1244_it2007.jpg

Interesting how the basic design of bikes hasn't changed much since this photo was taken 84 years ago (obviously the materials have changed a lot). As always, details on these two photos are available on the Historic Toronto Photos webpage for Sept 2nd

September 3rd: One photo today, of the steam baths at 216 Bathurst Street back in 1941. The building is still there today, now the Oak Leaf Steam Bath, with many aspects of the building still visible, like the shape of the windows, and the two brick columns.

s0372_ss0033_it0795.jpg

September 3rd: One photo today, of the steam baths at 216 Bathurst Street back in 1941. The building is still there today, now the Oak Leaf Steam Bath, with many aspects of the building still visible, like the shape of the windows, and the two brick columns.

I started re-reading Michael Ondaatje's In the Skin of a Lion a few weeks ago, and just yesterday got to the part where this very building appears in the story:

"On Saturday afternoon [all the men from the abbatoir] on Cypress Street were free...they walked up Bathurst Street to Queen...After a beer they would continue up Bathurst to the Oak Leaf Steam Baths. Paying their quarters they were each handed a towel, sheet, a padlock, and a canvas bag... There was a sense of relaxation among all of them. It was Saturday... "

The weirdly highlighted brick building in the foreground was being demolished, I presume? And are those trussed boxes piers for the Bush sheds?

Oh, and interesting to note the Dominion Building under construction, and that the Romanesque north building of Old Union Station survived the older main building (though by how long, I don't know)

Back