News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Adma, good questions, but unfortunately I'm really not sure. Someone here must know!

September 8th: Two photos today, looking both directions from the already vine covered gates out front of Baby Point at Jane Street, in 1925, 85 years ago today:

s0372_ss0058_it1097.jpg

s0372_ss0058_it1096.jpg

As an added bonus, here's the oldest photo I could find in the archives of the gate, back in 1912:

f1231_it0168.jpg

Here's a link to more details, including a map and the links to the City of Toronto Archive entries.

What I great set of photos. I wonder if these pictures come from private collection or do they come from Libraries?

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers.

What I great set of photos. I wonder if these pictures come from private collection or do they come from Libraries?.

A good question, Sam. I'll write up a complete response and link to it here, as you're not the first one to ask. Most of the photos I've posted are part of the City of Toronto Archives, which is made up of a number of sources - all those street car and asphalt photos, say, are part of the Dept. of Public Works photographs. I try and provide a link to each photo, summarized on my Historic photos from around Toronto, under the 'link to archive record' link. That link should then open a City of Toronto page, where they list the 'Forms part of' values for each photo.

September 9th: A photo from the east side of Dufferin Grove park 97 years ago today in 1913, including the houses over the fence along Havelock Street (I think):
s0372_ss0052_it0081.jpg

Then we move to 1921 and the construction of the Coliseum building down at the CNE, not to mention the less historic 'Frolic' ride, andcorn on the cob and ginger ale vendors:
f1231_it0945.jpg

( This last photo is part of the James Salmon collection at the City of Toronto Archives. )

For all details on these two photos, follow the links from this page.

September 10th: We start 85 years ago today, in 1925, looking south on Mount Pleasant from Millwood at the cement being poured over the ties. Davisville park is now on the right of the photo.

s0071_it4032.jpg

Then in 1929 we have an aerial view of Toronto from south of Toronto Harbour Commission building with the wonderful lawn to the south of the building, and the growing city behind, including City Hall, I assume, which doesn't seem far enough away, somehow...

f1231_it0053.jpg

September 11th: Two Toronto pictures from Exhibition Park back in 1914, 96 years ago:

Kids in costumes
s0372_ss0052_it0460.jpg

And then the Model Playground
s0372_ss0052_it0461.jpg

Then one picture from 1951, which just happens to be 26 years later, almost to the day, from yesterday's picture. This time it is Mt. Pleasant Road looking north from Millwood - Bill Jackson Hardware
s0372_ss0058_it2172.jpg

This view hasn't changed much in the last 59 years - there is even still a gas station on the west side. We'll be back in about a month for more pictures in this area.

For details on these photos, and their location, click here.

September 12th: Just one photo from 1919, looking south from Bloor Street just west of Broadview, where the ramp to the DVP is now.
s0372_ss0052_it0783.jpg

If you follow the link to the location on the map, you can see other photos from the area, including a another view of the building on the left, from 1912 that we'll see here in October, as well as the construction of the public lavatory to the right.
Here's the link to the map and Toronto Archives record for this photo.

If you look at the 1857 map of Toronto you can see this street, it was the continuation of WinchesterStreet and the Winchester Bridge was one of the few bridges over the Don. (You can see the remains of part of the old road on the west side of the river running behind the buildings of Riverdale Farm. See: http://www.toronto.ca/archives/images/zoom_s0088_it0013.htm

Ah, that makes sense! You can see Winchester in a number of photos around Riverdale park, like in the background of http://wholemap.com/map/index.php?pin=TORARCHV-53 There is also a wonderful photo from the winter, looking down the hill just south of the Necropolis Cemetery...

I assume this is the bridge you're talking about (from 1900):
s0376_fl0002_it0061.jpg

September 14th: Something totally different today!
00000020.jpg
A 1931 video, from the excellent British Pathe historic film site. I'm not sure how to include flash video's here, but check out http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=6545 for 'Canada. Canadian National Exhibition opened by Lord Jellicoe. and 15,000 war veterans tramp to the old war-time melodies past the Hero of Jutland.'

seemsartless: Thanks for exposing us to those photos of Winchester Drive.
I immediately got the urge to do a "Then & Now"

TNWinchesterDratBroadview1919.jpg

September 17: 98 years ago, back in 1912 there was lots of streetcar construction going on in Toronto, along with lots of horses. Here's the corner of Dundas St. west and Royce Ave (now Dupont) and the Peacock Hotel:

f1231_it1106b.jpg

Then in 1925, we have more construction, this time on Dupont Street, east of Christie, and Lums Chop Suey Cafe:

s0071_it4052.jpg

( Location and details on these two photos, here. )

September 18th: We'll start off in 1915, 95 years ago, for a photo of the roller coaster behind the Annual Ladies Field Day Exhibition Grounds:
s0372_ss0052_it0576.jpg

Then we go to a month or so before the Wall Street Crash of 1929, to the entrance to Ardwold, the Eaton family residence, on the east side of Spadina Road, just north of Casa Loma:

f1231_it2072.jpg

Finally, a collection of 43 photos from 1953 'documenting the condition of the vitrolite glass tiles on the walls of the passenger platform, the south overpass, and the stairs of the Rosedale Station' - follow the link to http://gencat.eloquent-systems.com/torontodetail.html?key=103970 then click on the 'More image' link to see the Rosedale Station under original construction:

s0381_fl0265_id11122-9.jpg

( The details and locations of these photos is available here. )

Back