News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

January 24th: One photo today, from war-time Liberty Village in 1944 - of Lord Halifax watching female war workers at John Inglis Co., Ltd.
f1257_s1057_it2187.jpg

Don't know the date of this one, but it's my most favourite Inglis photo.

e000760403-1.jpg

Nice photo of the firehall construction. My dad grew up on St Clements Ave just north of this location. He remembers the building of the firehall and the old no 12 police station a few feet east.

I live in the neighbourhood and am amazed at how little those two buidlings have changed in 80 years or so. The City of Toronto archives has a LOT of photos of the police station being built in 1933 - step by step by step...

Don't know the date of this one, but it's my most favourite Inglis photo.

From the Library and Archives Canada page for the photo:

Veronica Foster, an employee of John Inglis Co. Ltd. and known as "The Bren Gun Girl" posing with a finished Bren gun in the John Inglis Co. Ltd. Bren gun plant. (10 May 1941)

She could do it all! Work the lathe:
e000760409.jpg

Eat in the cafeteria like everyone else:
e000760414.jpg

But then she could also get dressed up an enjoy a night at the country club:
e000760432.jpg

Ooops, how did THAT photo get in here?
e000760441.jpg

The NFB has a film Rosies of the North on women in the industrial war effort in Canadia.

January 28th: Two photos from 1913 just outside the Protestant Orphans Home in Dufferin Grove on Coolmine Road:
s0372_ss0058_it0153.jpg

And a sidewalk crossing on east side opposite north gate:
s0372_ss0058_it0152.jpg

Then in 1931 we have a photo of 130 Wellington Street West demolished as part of the University Avenue Extension, I assume:
s0372_ss0003_it1131.jpg

Details on these photos available on the Jan 28th Historic Toronto photos page.

February 1st: We start a new month in South Riverdale back in 1928 at the looking at the 'subway' on Queen Street East at De Grassi Street. The building on the left (north) side of the street is still there, but on the south side is a parking lot. If you take a look at the photos around this area, here you'll find a photo from two years earlier of them placing the steel beams, a few photos from a bit father north of the tracks, etc...

f1231_it1385.jpg

Then in 1974 we jump to Yonge and Dundas for a photo of Burtons Mens Clothing and Coles bookstore, 301 Yonge Street, east side, at Dundas Street East, southeast corner:
f1257_s1057_it8224a.jpg

and the same corner from the other side:
f1257_s1057_it8208.jpg

Details on all these photos available on the February 1st Historic Toronto photos page.

February 1st: We start a new month in South Riverdale back in 1928 at the looking at the 'subway' on Queen Street East at De Grassi Street. The building on the left (north) side of the street is still there, but on the south side is a parking lot. If you take a look at the photos around this area, here you'll find a photo from two years earlier of them placing the steel beams, a few photos from a bit father north of the tracks, etc...

f1231_it1385.jpg

Then in 1974 we jump to Yonge and Dundas for a photo of Burtons Mens Clothing and Coles bookstore, 301 Yonge Street, east side, at Dundas Street East, southeast corner:
f1257_s1057_it8224a.jpg

and the same corner from the other side:
f1257_s1057_it8208.jpg

Details on all these photos available on the February 1st Historic Toronto photos page.

I am not a fan and will never be a fan of Dundas Sq (sorry, but it's a waste of space most of the year; it's not even aesthetically pleasing) But, the shops that were there before needed to go. I would've preferred a condo/business highrise with shops at street-level.

I am not a fan and will never be a fan of Dundas Sq (sorry, but it's a waste of space most of the year; it's not even aesthetically pleasing) But, the shops that were there before needed to go. I would've preferred a condo/business highrise with shops at street-level.

Total agreement.

Regards,
J T

Total agreement.

I agree, it is also amazing that Toronto has no real 'heart' where people go - City Hall, perhaps? Or maybe it IS great that different neighbourhoods have their own meeting places (think world cup soccer).

February 3rd: Two old wooden houses today from a snowy 1912 - 99 years ago. The first is kids and a dog outside an old house on the northwest corner of Trinity and Fronts Streets (watching the new Infiniti cars being unloaded across the street, perhaps?) in the Distillery District. This photo seems to have a wonderful light to it, or just the right level of softness...
s0372_ss0032_it0017.jpg

Then in Regent Park we have a couple of old wooden houses:
s0372_ss0032_it0021.jpg

Details on these photos on the February 3rd historic Toronto Photos page.

From the Library and Archives Canada page for the photo:

Veronica Foster, an employee of John Inglis Co. Ltd. and known as "The Bren Gun Girl" posing with a finished Bren gun in the John Inglis Co. Ltd. Bren gun plant. (10 May 1941)

She could do it all! Work the lathe:
e000760409.jpg

Eat in the cafeteria like everyone else:
e000760414.jpg

But then she could also get dressed up an enjoy a night at the country club:
e000760432.jpg

Ooops, how did THAT photo get in here?
e000760441.jpg

The NFB has a film Rosies of the North on women in the industrial war effort in Canadia.

Call me jaded, but I think there's something subliminal going on here to help the war effort:

VeronicaFoster-RonnieBrenGunGirl-smoke.jpg

Mmmm.

Is that DND signage at the butt end of the gun? - NO SMOKING.

Regards,
J T

I agree, it is also amazing that Toronto has no real 'heart' where people go - City Hall, perhaps? Or maybe it IS great that different neighbourhoods have their own meeting places (think world cup soccer).

No, people do in fact go to Nathan Phillips Square and Dundas Square for various events and to stop and relax and/or socialize. There are many other such places, but those are two prominent places.

February 6th: I've finally figured out how to link directly to the Archives of Ontario entries, and while the photos don't tend to be as large as the City of Toronto Archives, they have a lot of great content. Here's an 86 year old photo of snowy Knox College, University of Toronto back in 1925:
I0001357.jpg

( Details on this photo available on the Historic Toronto photos from Feb 6th page. )

Back