News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

I've said it before...I'll say it again. ...The sad thing to me, and I may be sounding horribly sentimentalist...sorry.....I see young people in them and realize they are now probably already gone, based on the years...it feels so weird to me!

I completely agree! Photos of buildings, or the Don River, etc... don't seem all that old, even if they are from the 1910's or 1920's, but when you add in people, especially young people, it is fascinating to think that that snapshot in time is literally a life-time ago.

Take the skating photo... did the winner talk about that race for the rest of his life, with his kids, then even grand-kids, rolling their eyes whenever it came up at family dinners? Then perhaps a few years after his death, they'd remember the story with fondness whenever they see an outside rink...

March 2nd: On that same personal level, there are a large number of photos in the City of Toronto Archives from the "Legal Department", I assume many the result of accidents, like these two photos, from 1934, as listed on the March 2nd Historic Toronto Photos page, looking east along Bloor St, at Sterling Rd, to Symington Ave
s0071_it10161.jpg

And then looking west:
s0071_it10162.jpg

"Does anyone know what the house, behind the fence and old tree, is on Bloor Street west at Symington?" QUOTE seemsartless.

MIGHT'S TORONTO CITY DIRECTORY 1933:

1420 Bloor Street West.

*Beckett Amelia W.
*Beckett Mary J.

MIGHT'S TORONTO CITY DIRECTORY 1942:

Address not listed.
Name(s) not listed.

BELL TELEPHONE DIRECTORY 1944:
Name(s) not listed.

Regards,
J T

MIGHT'S TORONTO CITY DIRECTORY 1910:

1412 BLOOR STREET WEST.

Beckett Mrs Mary J. (Widow of Henry)
Beckett Miss Catherine, drsmkr.

SYMINGTON CROSSES.

1420 BLOOR STREET WEST.

Hartmen Frederick. (sp mistake of last name)
Piano maker, Heintzman & Co.

MIGHT'S TORONTO CITY DIRECTORY 1909:

1412 BLOOR STREET WEST.

Mrs Mary J. (Widow of Henry)
Beckett Miss Catherine, drsmkr
Beckett Miss Amelia W

Regards,
J T

THERE APPEARS TO BE A "PROBLEM", WITH THE ABOVE ADDRESSES; THE NUMBERS SEEM TO

MOVE FROM THE EAST SIDE OF SYMINGTON TO THE WEST! THE BECKETT'S ALTHOUGH ALWAYS

LIVED IN THE SAME HOUSE ON THE N/E.

Last edited:
Interesting, J T, and no doubt just one of many such numbering oddities as the city took shape.

March 3rd: It isn't always traffic accidents that warrant City of Toronto Archive photos, sometimes it is traffic. The Historic Toronto Photos from March 3rd page has the details on these three photos taken over a couple of hours 83 years ago, in 1928, at Simcoe and Front Street. Imagine what any of the people in the photo would think if you dropped them off at a busy intersection in Toronto today...

11:50am Looking east, from north side of Front Street, west of Simcoe:
s0071_it5687.jpg

12:05am Exact same view, 15 minutes later:
s0071_it5690.jpg

1:33 p.m Now looking south, from north side of Simcoe, north of Front
s0071_it5693.jpg

March 4th: A collection of photos today from the Historic Toronto Photos from March 4th page not far from Bloor and Bay, starting with a car crash in 1918. The looks on the people's faces parallel what I imagine would hae happened to the driver of the car. Looking at the location on Bloor Street, I wonder if that is the William J. Gage house in the background.
f1231_it0258.jpg

Then south east a bit, to Yorkville and a distinctive, and lost, building on Bay Street - the Margaret Eaton School in 1921:
s0372_ss0003_it0285.jpg

and the building to the north:
s0372_ss0003_it0286.jpg

Finally, in 1924, we have No. 83-85 Bloor Street West where Tiffany's stands now. The sign on the side of the building is covered by the pole; I wonder if it was a tea-room in the front?
f1231_it0624.jpg

March 5th: Just one photo today, of 268 and 270 Simcoe Street when they were widening Anderson Street (now Dundas St. west) in 1912:
s0372_ss0003_it0078.jpg

(As always, details, a map location, and link to the original source is available on the March 5th Historic Toronto Photos page. You're probably as tired reading that as I am typing it, but I want to make sure you can find the original source, etc... for these photos.)

"I wonder if it was a tea-room in the front?" QUOTE seemsartless.

MIGHT'S TORONTO CITY DIRECTORY 1925:

83 Bloor Street West.

Parsons Wm, rest.
Parsons Wm. (lives at same)

85 Bloor Street West.

Newport Millinery
Akey Esther, dressmaker. (lives at same)
Davis Charlotte J Mrs. (widow Wm R)

" what I imagine would hae happened to the driver of the car" QUOTE seemsartless.

Just to remind those youngsters on this board, NO SAFETY GLASS!

Regards,
J T

Last edited:
"Here's are two earlier views of 83-85 Bloor, 1900's, when it was still residential:" QUOTE thecharioteer.

Please bear with me.

MIGHT'S DIRECTORY 1903 taken from Internet Archives ('00, 01, & 02 would not load.)

83 Bloor street West,
Ware, Samuel G.

85 Bloor Street West,
Fleury, James R.

HOWEVER:

Ware, Samuel Gerald, barber.
83 Bolton Street.

Fleury, James R, labourer.
85 Bolton Street.

PLUS . . .

Fleury, Alexander, labourer.
85 Bolton Street.

PLUS . . .

Patrick J, driver - Toronto Bakery.
167 Bolton Street.

PLUS . . .

"Bolton Street" & "Boulton Street", are the same street.

EQUALS . . .

? . . . ? . . . ? . . . ? . . . ?

THE QUESTION REMAINS; WHO LIVES WHERE, AND WHY.

Regourds,
J T

Last edited:
Wow, thanks guys, fascinating!

March 7th: Another set of photos today - for details and locations of these photos, see the March 7th Historic Toronto Photos page We start way up in Wanless park in 1935 and a sketch of a proposed fieldhouse:
s1188_fl0001_it0016.jpg

Then in 1938, a photo of 21 Draper Street, in Wellington Place, being demolished. A number of similar looking homes still exist on the street.

s0372_ss0033_it0318.jpg

Funny to consider this now, but back in 1940 there was a garbage dump on the north side of St. Clair just east of Bathurst, where the Loblaws is now. The buildings in the background are still there, on Heath Street.:
s0372_ss0070_it0540.jpg

Finally, a 1998 photo by our resident photographer of Toronto, Collations, of Consumers' Gas Co, Station A. Built in 1898 at 51 Parliament St:
4559138467_ecb1dc1e64_z.jpg

Last edited:
March 8th: We start our set of Historic Toronto Photos from March 8th back in 1928, of Front St, midway between York and Simcoe, 5:30 p.m., showing heavy vehicular traffic:
s0071_it5711.jpg

Then to a sketch from 1935 of the Alexandra Gates "colours for railings and lamps." Here's a link to more details on the Alexandra gates, including photos from 1901 through these sketches in 1935 when they stood just west of the ROM.
s1188_fl0001_it0021.jpg

Finally, in 1951 we have three photos from Lakeshore Boulevard looking southwest from west of Strachan Avenue:
s0372_ss0058_it2106.jpg

s0372_ss0058_it2105.jpg

s0372_ss0058_it2104.jpg

The last picture, of course, of the Princes' Gates - I've started collecting a set of photos of the CNE Gates from the Prince of Wales opening the Gates in 1927, through a 1931 video of Veterans on parade through the gates, to close-ups of the Goddess of Winged Victory.

March 9th: Just one photo today, from 1923, of Howard Park & Keele (I assume which is now called Parkside Drive) on the east side of High Park.
s0071_it1925.jpg

I can't quite place this... I assume we're looking south, with the park to our right, but then what is the large building in the distance, not to mention the houses there. Thoughts?

Back