News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.7K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

TKTKTK is to public aesthetics what Ron Paul is to presidential politics?

There's only one place on the TTC where graffiti is a welcome change of scenery, just beyond Lawrence East Stn :cool:.

graffiti_s.jpg

That piece on the RT could very well be commissioned - the amount of work that went into it tells me that it is likely so. It's quite good - I'd even say it has merit.

There was one behind the Midas shop near Keele Station that wasn't half-bad either.

You've mentioned your car, and wanting to keep it in pristine condition. How would you feel if you woke up one morning and came out to find that someone had scratchitied an intricate tag on the hood of your car? Hell, how would you feel about a near perfect recreation of The Kramer?

I'd be pissed (isn't that already clear? or are you not actually reading what I'm writing, prefering to think I'm some anarchist?) but that doesn't mean I don't also stop and wonder if I should be pissed. What does it matter if my car has scratches on it? Really? It still works. Its still a car.

If you can't get your head around it a little, even a little, to see where else the debate might go - then just walk away. I'm not here to defend every imaginable instance of graffiti, nor does it need my defense to exist.

I'm a graphic designer - my entire career is visual. But at a certain level I wonder if our obsession with maintaining the perfect image (whatever it is in our heads) is a hollow pursuit. I can't help but be inspired by people who are able to let go of that control and appreciate something as a perfect moment, rather than a perfect...err...forever? Think of sand mandalas, where monks painstakingly design (for three weeks!) intricate patterns - all with the expectation that it will be shortly destroyed. Their joy is in the creation, not the smug enjoyment of that hard work after the fact. I really don't know how they do it.

TKTKTK:

What does it matter if my car has scratches on it? Really? It still works. Its still a car.

Good, care to let us know where you park it, so that we can have some outlet...a canvas for our creative side? We'll promise to leave it functional.

AoD

one time, long ago, in school, someone drew an "artistic expression" on the bathroom wall with shit. i'm sure the janitor was moved by the creation and thought "why, not only could you see this art, but you could also smell it" :eek:

Like TKTKTK, I'm a graphic designer and my entire career is visual. I've seen how graffiti was optimistically brought into professional art galleries in the '80s and then quickly dropped. I've seen how mannered, derivative and technique-based it remains in the hands of the mostly none-too-bright art school wannabees who produce it. Just look at the poverty of imagination in that last example - the word "art" will never be added to the word "graffiti" to describe it. At least "tagging" is more honest, less pretentious.

Instead of being art that delivers a message, such examples are macrame for the 21st century.

But David Hockney can come over and spraypaint the outside of my house any day!

There are plenty of bad painters and bad graphic designers yet we don't insist that either field is judged solely by its worst.

In a world that celebrates excellence, art and design are judged by the best that is produced.

As long as those who produce this stuff insist that the word "art" must automatically follow the word "graffiti" in describing it, in order to elevate what they do, they will remain shut out from positive critical opinion. They've tried to append the word "art" to what they do in order to distance themselves from "taggers" but it'll get them nowhere.

Back