News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Think of FM radio stations as the radio equivalent of ABC, NBC and CBS. While the big three have had their audiences erode by specialty channels and the internet, most people still watch these stations relative to the other choices out there. Same goes for radio, per AP's post.

I really have no idea. I stopped listening to the radio years ago when they started playing Eminem on 102.1.

Believe it or not, but it's gone even further downhill from there...think Nickelback.

I can't recall watching ABC, CBS or NBC in the past 10 years except maybe during 9/11 or the World Series.

I chucked my radio years ago for internet radio - Sense Generate - nonstop commercial-free trance and techno 24 hours a day

I can't recall watching ABC, CBS or NBC in the past 10 years except maybe during 9/11 or the World Series.

I chucked my radio years ago for internet radio - Sense Generate - nonstop commercial-free trance and techno 24 hours a day

You've never watched Desperate Housewives?

Having worked at 680News not that long ago, I can tell you that the way they make money is by having very few staff on hand. Jack FM is pretty much totally automated most of the day, and CHFI is pretty much the same thing. Most times I walked by those stations, the lights were off, save for the glow of the automation computer monitor.

On the AM side, 680News is staffed by a bunch of people during the day, but is pretty much a ghost town overnights and on the weekends. Five people keep it on the air most times. Overnights it's down to three.

The FAN uses many, many unpaid interns that monitor game feeds and dump highlights into the audio playback system.

Expenses are low, staffing is lean, and ads pay the bills.

And whatever small profits you earn are multiplied by the number of stations you own. Rogers, for example, owns 51 stations. US firm Clear Channel has 1200 stations.

I still listen to the radio. I'll take this opportunity to add that I can't stand EZ Rock.

When it comes to lean staff and ads paying the bills, think of commercial radio as akin to the Metroland school of newspaper publishing...

I don't find much of American television very interesting - other than baseball - but that's just me and not an indictment of American product. I gave up on it about 15 years ago and I don't seem to be any the worse for it. I did enjoy Dead Like Me and Six Feet Under and other HBO programmes very much.

another EDM-addict. good to know there's at least one on this board. :)

Satellite radio is enticing. 120 channels of commercial free radio that work from coast to coast :cool:

Believe it or not, but it's gone even further downhill from there...think Nickelback.
Oh, I have turned it on from time to time, or listened to it in the car, when I've forgotten my iPod. And I have heard plenty of that crap on 102.1.
I can't speak for him, but I download my TV shows, no commercials that way. I get them within a couple hours of them being on TV, and they download in less than 30 mins.
another EDM-addict. good to know there's at least one on this board. :)
Oh count me in too. I listen to a lot of trance. I even made my own mix recently, and apparently people think it's good haha. I did it on my computer using mp3's in Audacity.

Back