News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

I'm way ahead of the times. I've been grumpy and young for over 20 years!

Not against such clinics but the police should patrol such areas more.

I feel dangerously unsafe going to ryerson at night at that Victoria street corner.

Idk I visit nyc I see why more cops on patrol then Toronto.
not just at night...even in broad daylight street harassment has become a daily occurrence....it was not like that even a few years ago...and seems to be just getting worse and worse...

not just at night...even in broad daylight street harassment has become a daily occurrence....it was not like that even a few years ago...and seems to be just getting worse and worse...
It would help if we have beat cops walking the streets. You could walk from my house near Sumach and Carlton to Ryerson, then to the Eaton Centre, then up Yonge and then back home along Wellesley to Sumach and you won’t see a single police constable on their feet. Beat cops interact with their community, are in an area for longer periods (vs. people with bad intent can just wait a second for the police car or bicycle to move along), and petty crimes like vandalism, litter, public drunkenness, public drug use and urination, illegal parking and sidewalk obstruction can be at least recorded.

Honestly, I don‘t know why we issue TPS officers with boots or shoes. Just send them out in driving slippers, put a little TPS patch on the side so they look dandy.

Last edited:
It would help if we have beat cops walking the streets. You could walk from my house near Sumach and Carlton to Ryerson, then to the Eaton Centre, then up Yonge and then back home along Wellesley to Sumach and you won’t see a single police constable on their feet. Beat cops interact with their community, are in an area for longer periods (vs. people with bad intent can just wait a second for the police car or bicycle to move along), and petty crimes like vandalism, litter, public drunkenness, public drug use and urination, illegal parking and sidewalk obstruction can be at least recorded.

Honestly, I don‘t know why we issue TPS officers with boots or shoes. Just send them out in driving slippers, put a little TPS patch on the side so they look dandy.
The question is how do we get the attention of the city with regards to this? What is the best forum? Last year I sent a complaint to the police and what I was told was to report incidents individually...once they find there are a lot of incidents in an area, they would deploy police to monitor it....but I have experienced this harassment everywhere...king west, Queen west, yonge and Dundas, Saint Lawrence market, bloor and Jarvis, yorkville, Berczy park....things were not like this in the past...not sure what’s happening to Toronto...

Que the inevitable complaints of "militarizing" and marginalizing complaints if you see cops regularly patrolling the streets on foot.

I'm going to have to install security cameras on my property. I have had people snooping around my house all summer long.I got a locked fence and motion lights, but that doesn't stop the prowlers from getting in and nosing around. I see foot prints and damaged flowers in my back garden, and i spotted a guy checking car doors on my street a few weeks ago around 5 am. So far only a few dollar store solar lights have been stolen. :rolleyes: Back in the spring someone tried to pry open the side door on my garage. I got a big dent mark in my door now. It never used to be this bad.

I'm going to have to install security cameras on my property. I have had people snooping around my house all summer long.I got a locked fence and motion lights, but that doesn't stop the prowlers from getting in and nosing around.
Security cameras are useless. I think half the houses in my neighbourhood have cameras. On the Cabbagetown blog we post photos and videos of porch pirates, bicycles thieves, drug dealers, all with faces clearly visible. Do you think the police are coming over, setting up forensics to catch these guys? No sir, if it’s just property crime without forcible entry the Police don’t even want to see the video, they just give you a report to submit to your insurance. That’s if the police come at all, it might be days later before they arrive.

I'm going to have to install security cameras on my property. I have had people snooping around my house all summer long.I got a locked fence and motion lights, but that doesn't stop the prowlers from getting in and nosing around. I see foot prints and damaged flowers in my back garden, and i spotted a guy checking car doors on my street a few weeks ago around 5 am. So far only a few dollar store solar lights have been stolen. :rolleyes: Back in the spring someone tried to pry open the side door on my garage. I got a big dent mark in my door now. It never used to be this bad.
Yikes. Which neighbourhood is this?

Related, got this from Matlow's newsletter:

I'll be honest, Midtown was largely devoid of some of the issues downtown until these shelters opened up. I feel obligated to defend them from NIMBYs because I am aware of the science and best practices, and that it helps the city overall to spread some of the burden (and these vacant properties are ideal), but I can't deny the various anecdotes I've heard from neighbours and experienced myself.

Back