News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Both Eaton's and Simpsons sold goods that were made in Canada and North America. Which meant jobs for Canadians that made those goods. Unfortunately, shoppers wanted "cheap", which meant selling goods made overseas at cheap wages, which led to their downfall and the upswing of the Walmarts of today.
Back then made in Canada products were the affordable option over imported. But look at the price of what’s made in Canada today. Canada Goose coats, Tilley Hats, Anfibio boots, etc.... the types of products Eaton‘s sold back in its heyday to common, working Canadians are now the overpriced apparel of the rich. If we didn’t have cheap stuff from China, Canada’s annual inflation rate would be massive.

Why must you treat discussion as confrontation?

I disagree with your point of view.

That is not to suggest there is not some merit in some portion of it.

But I believe you made up your mind on what has transpired prior to obtaining any facts; and have then sought out facts to buttress your conclusion.

I find that to be unsound logic.

That isn't personal. I don't dislike you, let alone hate you.

The fact you are so passionate in your response is the very thing I distrust.

Reason over passion.

I should add, there is no argument crime exists, or could or should be lower, in contemporary times.

Rather the argument is that as someone who was alive and grew up in the 1980s, it was not some time of halcyon sweetness and light where crime was less than is now the case.

Your response (since removed) did not address anything in my post.

My post was not at all emotional or confrontational, it simply pointed out the illogic of the person I was responding to.

I provided a link to a CBC piece which backed up the point I was making. There are many U.S. examples but I chose to go Canadian.

You, on the other hand, have provided nothing but airy-fairy, head in the sand, obfuscations and denials.

I grew up in the '70s so I'm well acquainted with the '80s.

Shootings with injuries are up 34% over last year and almost 300% over 2014.

You can pretend all you want but that won't make the problem disappear.

There has been another shooting tonight, and the night is young.

Back then made in Canada products were the affordable option over imported. But look at the price of what’s made in Canada today. Canada Goose coats, Tilley Hats, Anfibio boots, etc.... the types of products Eaton‘s sold back in its heyday to common, working Canadians are now the overpriced apparel of the rich. If we didn’t have cheap stuff from China, Canada’s annual inflation rate would be massive.
It doesn't help that everyone feels the need to own 50 of everything today (shoes, pants, shirts..), toss everything after a few wears and temporarily avoid the consequences of our conspicuous greed and waste by offshoring the slave labour and environmental disasters to developing nations. That ship is beginning to sail, they won't even take our garbage any more. The nerve!

Maybe if we took responsibility for our actions (by not externalizing the negative costs), paid a fair market price for fewer, better made products, we could reach some sort of market equilibrium that is fair to everyone along the supply chain. Maybe even revive the garment industry in Canada

Yeah, right.. lineup for slave labour made, overpriced crap at OVO! Gotta get my 12th limited edition Raptor tee!!

It doesn't help that everyone feels the need to own 50 of everything today (shoes, pants, shirts..), toss everything after a few wears and temporarily avoid the consequences of our conspicuous greed and waste
Very true. I’m old school in this regard. When the zipper failed on my five year old London Fog winter coat, I took it to the local tailor to be fixed, instead of throwing it out. But I’m an odd duck I think, in that I hate acquiring things and especially hate clutter and useless objects in my home. So, I have four pairs of shoes, black leather, brown leather, runners, and dress black leather. Three pairs of boots, Sorels (made in Canada) for the muck, Blunstones (no longer made in Australia) for dress, and my favourite, made in Canada motorcycle boots by Boulet. When my soles wear out, it’s often off to Jose’s Shoe Repair on Carlton St. rather than the trash. I have two Tilley hats, made in Canada. I try to buy local and the very best quality so I can keep things for years. I hang dry most of my clothes to keep them looking good for years. I just hate spending money on most things, ba humbug.

Your response (since removed) did not address anything in my post.

My post was not at all emotional or confrontational, it simply pointed out the illogic of the person I was responding to.

I provided a link to a CBC piece which backed up the point I was making. There are many U.S. examples but I chose to go Canadian.

You, on the other hand, have provided nothing but airy-fairy, head in the sand, obfuscations and denials.

I grew up in the '70s so I'm well acquainted with the '80s.

Shootings with injuries are up 34% over last year and almost 300% over 2014.

You can pretend all you want but that won't make the problem disappear.

There has been another shooting tonight, and the night is young.

I post nothing pretend or 'airy-fairy' and post more evidence to support my positions on this forum than the majority of posters.

You are exceedingly rude as this post again demonstrates.

I have no further time to waste discussing things w/you if you can't refrain from childish insults in every single post.

Very true. I’m old school in this regard. When the zipper failed on my five year old London Fog winter coat, I took it to the local tailor to be fixed, instead of throwing it out. But I’m an odd duck I think, in that I hate acquiring things and especially hate clutter and useless objects in my home. So, I have four pairs of shoes, black leather, brown leather, runners, and dress black leather. Three pairs of boots, Sorels (made in Canada) for the muck, Blunstones (no longer made in Australia) for dress, and my favourite, made in Canada motorcycle boots by Boulet. When my soles wear out, it’s often off to Jose’s Shoe Repair on Carlton St. rather than the trash. I have two Tilley hats, made in Canada. I try to buy local and the very best quality so I can keep things for years. I hang dry most of my clothes to keep them looking good for years. I just hate spending money on most things, ba humbug.

We apparently share much in the sartorial department. I buy little but like to buy quality and keep it. The exception is running shoes (or whatever they're called now). I pretty much live in them since I've retired except m/c riding, but refuse to buy expensive ones since I beat them up pretty badly. I'm happy to buy cheap and get one season out of them.

It's too bad if you ask me. These days, ''Made Locally' is making a comeback among the hipsters, but sadly, it's still overpriced, and stuff from China that's crap is still cheaper...

It's not "overpriced" if it's quality. You get what you pay for most of the time. Buying toxic Chinese rubbish isn't a good deal, regardless of cost.

It's not "overpriced" if it's quality. You get what you pay for most of the time.
It can, and often is both overpriced and Canadian-made. A Canada Goose coat needn’t cost a grand. Materials cost the same, so it’s labour, energy and high profit margins that drive this pricing.

It can, and often is both overpriced and Canadian-made. A Canada Goose coat needn’t cost a grand. Materials cost the same, so it’s labour, energy and high profit margins that drive this pricing.

...and shipping costs.

How is it overpriced if the labour costs are such because of payment of a decent wage?

Some people are just cheap and don't like nice things.

I'm looking at you, Dollarama crew. By all means though, save money and buy things seven times instead of once....oh wait...

How is it overpriced if the labour costs are such because of payment of a decent wage?

Some people are just cheap and don't like nice things.

I'm looking at you, Dollarama crew. By all means though, save money and buy things seven times instead of once....oh wait...
I don't think I ever bought a winter coat from Dollarama. By-Way maybe though.

Canada Goose is one of few brands that makes quality clothing. I got my Canada Goose coat about 8 years ago, it's still in great shape. I had the zipper fixed last year. I plan on wearing it till it falls apart. I'm not the type that will wear something for a season or two then depose it. I got my grandpa's Burberry trench coat bought in 1980s ( made in England) Still looks great after 30+ years of wear!

A lot of today's clothes are made out of acrylics or polyesters (plastic) Good for the clothing companies, saves money and its cheap to make and sell, but absolutely horrible for the environment.

Back during the 1970s and 1980s, Converse shoes were considered affordable and they were actually American-made. Neither is true nowadays (though hipsters and celebrities made Converse shoes popular again).

Back