News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
All I have heard is there is no need for a transit system. TTC will still control Scarborough Transit. Scarborough Subways. Extensions for BD Line! I'm ssrly gonna lose my mind for people who really aren't creative.

I’m not sure what you’re looking for. If Scarborough de-amalgamated its mostly low density and car-centric mindset would still be there.

But if by creative you mean irrational, that is, totally ignore all the fundamentals of sound transit planning like appropriateness to density, then I refer you to the SSE debate thread where Coffey/OneCity presides and he will impress upon you the Trumpian logic that justifies a subway to virtually every corner of Scarborough. Just because they deserve it.

Last edited:
I'm not really sure what you wanted from this thread. We can change Scarborough's political system all we want, but short of building a border wall, Scarborough will remain part of the same municipal region as Toronto. Trip demands and travel profiles wouldn't change, and the system would look very similar to what it is today. Ultimately all rapid transit lines in Scarborough would be oriented towards Toronto.

But since you want to be imaginative, I'll give it a shot:
  • The (hypothetical) City of Scarborough likely would not have been able to extend subways into its borders. But it is conceivable that they'd invest in a surface/elevated light metro system, similar to the Vancouver SkyTrain the existing Scarborough RT, or Eglinton LRT. This system would connect to TTC Line 2 near the eastern border of Scarborough, likely at Kennedy/Eglinton, or Danforth/Victoria Park. Unlike the existing SRT, I'd expect that this system would've been more aggressively expanded. We'd likely see an alignment running northwest from TTC Line 2, up to Scarborough Centre, through Sheppard/Malvern and up to Finch near the eastern border of Scarborough. It's also likely that we would've seen a similar light metro system, or an LRT line, on Eglinton East, running north along Kingston road.
  • Its also probable that the Scarborough RT would terminate at Kennedy, connecting to the GO transit station, and never physically connect to TTC Line 2 at Victoria Park/Danforth. This is similar to how the Hurontaio LRT connects to GO Transit, and not any TTC services
  • The existing Sheppard Subway likely would not have been built, so I'd expect no rapid transit to be along that corridor in Scarborough.
  • Like York Region, we might have seen Scarborough aggressively expand a BRT system. It's also possible that, due to the suburban nature of Scarborough, that there'd be a lot of resistance to using road space for BRT. I'd expect that these BRTs would operate on east-west streets, connecting to TTC's Yonge Line. These BRTs would likely be extensions of TTC bus services, because doing otherwise really doesn't make sense with Scarborough's trip profiles.
  • Scarborough's own municipal bus services likely would be more oriented towards connecting to GO Stations, like we see in GTA municipalities outside of Toronto.

Crudely drawn map below. BRT in Brown, SRT/LRT in blue:
J1SSRRi.jpg

This system clearly looks very similar to what is existing or proposed in Scarborough. SRT replaces Line 2 and is extended northeast as envisioned in Transit City, the Scarborough-Malvenrn LRT becomes a branch of the SRT and BRT replaces LRT on Sheppard, with potential for BRT on Lawrence and Finch.

Last edited:

I feel like the proposal for the SRT/LRT in this map is a lot more useful than what exists in Scarborough today, or what is currently proposed. Travellers would transfer from TTC Line 2 to the SRT, where they could get a one-seat ride either to Scarborough Centre/Malvern OR along the Eglinton East corridor (the densest part of Scarborough). If this had been built back in the 1980s (back when transit was cheap to build), rather than extending Line 2 to Kennedy and terminating the SRT at McCowan, I suspect a lot of the complaints regarding Scarborough transit would evaporate.

It's unfortunate that we're stuck with the current Scarborough Subway "compromise". I feel like an RT extension to Malvern + elevated Eglinton east would provide better value, potentially within the same cost envelope as the one-stop extension. Nevertheless, the proposed Eglinton East LRT can be optimized to improve speed (similar to the Eglinton West LRT).

Last edited:
This thread is dumb for no other reason than it belongs in the Fantasy Maps thread (which is fine to post non map-related concepts). Plus there's already a few OT Scarb transit threads.

But even if Scarboro was 100% separate from the City of Toronto it'd still be quite far ahead than virtually every other non-Toronto city in Ontario and Canada. Quite far indeed. Reason: Line 3. Yes it requires immediate upgrading, but it's still a subway by most metrics (albeit one of the 'light' varieties). Even at 6.5km, that would put this hypothetical "City of Scarborough" in a very tiny league of Candian cities with a subway system: Vancouver, Monteal, Toronto. That's pretty sweet. And if Scarborough was its own city they would've upgraded the line two decades ago, lengthened it, and by now would've likely convinced the TTC to convert Line 4 to similar sized trains to create a solid subway network. Again, in your scenario Scarboro would by default become the fourth Canadian city with a subway system. Pretty good for a city of 700k.

This thread is dumb for no other reason than it belongs in the Fantasy Maps thread (which is fine to post non map-related concepts). Plus there's already a few OT Scarb transit threads.

But even if Scarboro was 100% separate from the City of Toronto it'd still be quite far ahead than virtually every other non-Toronto city in Ontario and Canada. Quite far indeed. Reason: Line 3. Yes it requires immediate upgrading, but it's still a subway by most metrics (albeit one of the 'light' varieties). Even at 6.5km, that would put this hypothetical "City of Scarborough" in a very tiny league of Candian cities with a subway system: Vancouver, Monteal, Toronto. That's pretty sweet. And if Scarborough was its own city they would've upgraded the line two decades ago, lengthened it, and by now would've likely convinced the TTC to convert Line 4 to similar sized trains to create a solid subway network. Again, in your scenario Scarboro would by default become the fourth Canadian city with a subway system. Pretty good for a city of 700k.

I firmly believe Scarborough's plan would be express & local bus routes combined with the BDL subway extensions thru Scarborough Centre to Malvern town Centre :eek: and Sheppard subway to SCC. This LRT is cool, but was being integrated poorly into the current network and aside from aesthetics its benefits over express bus, separate bus lanes where deemed necessary is also debatable.

Personally though I like the direction of the full Eglinton East LRT and SSE subway extension as Phase 1 to build from in the future if this direction happens to move forward. Phase 2 could be a Malvern hook off of the Eglinton East and Sheppard subway or full Sheppard LRT to Eglinton East should Politicians feel the need to test the waters again with this plan. But without the BDL going to atleast McCowan and Sheppard I don't see it having a remote chance.

Last edited:
I'm not closing the thread before I get my proposal in.

The STC would be (and this is fantasy, remember) a series of pneumatic tubes that would whisk Scarberians via the power of their own hot air to the borders with Canada. At Canadian entry points, Scarberians would be able to able to apply for day-pass visas to enter Canada to work or shop. While they wait for their visas to be processed, they would be de-loused, irradiated, and offered fluoridated water. Wait, I'm getting off track; transit, right. When arriving back at the border at the end of the day, the few Scarberians that cross would find that the STC tubes, due to demand, only go towards the Canadian border, owing to a lack of demand in the return direction.

I know it doesn't make a lot of sense, but it is a nightmare scenario… and how often do nightmares follow logic?

Dont forget hyperloops at stc to Union

In all seriousness though it's time to close this thread or move this all to the fantasy map thread

A nice fantasy would be finding some type of compromise and moving on. I know back to reality but it is a fantasy thread.

BTW, I forgot some mindless people who roam for a Scarborough Subway. (sorry Xiaohaha, I truly feel pity for you. Something just makes me feel me sad. It's either how politely you spoke or something)

I don't understand why you got so severely triggered by the mere suggestion that the B-D subway be extended deeper into Scarborough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back