News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Agreed, but IKEA were asleep at the switch.

The base of Panda on Edward—retail concourse, ground level, mezzanine, and second floor—will have over 8,600 sq m of retail space to lease out, so they'll be begging for IKEA to set up shop there. (That's over 92,000 sq ft of retail space.)

Not sure if that is the greatest spot - or Y+D in general (though the thought of them taking a chunk of Atrium is delicious).

AoD

The building is set up to get a PATH extension from the Atrium, whenever they want to spend the money on that, and provides for a spot to extend PATH north at some point too. And what's not to like about a spot a short block from the busiest mall on the continent?!

It's not downtown but there's vast amount of always-unused parking space in Dufferin Mall that they can build in/retrofit

I'd like something large enough to fit a mini-showroom, the marketplace, maybe a place for order pick-ups. Obviously not the full showroom, cafeteria, and warehouse. Maybe The Well? I can't see it working in a small area like Panda if it's going to be of any use.

I'd like something large enough to fit a mini-showroom, the marketplace, maybe a place for order pick-ups. Obviously not the full showroom, cafeteria, and warehouse. Maybe The Well? I can't see it working in a small area like Panda if it's going to be of any use.
90,000 square feet is small?!

I can't see Panda working at all. I doubt Ikea would desire to be relegated like a footnote to an insignificant, narrow side street facing the Atrium's landing docks for their first big splash into the lucrative downtown market. They'll want a site with high visibility.

90,000 square feet is small?!

Def. not small.

However, a typical IKEA these days is in the range of 370,000sq ft or about 4x as a large.

I expect your idea is actually about right for downtown concept.

Most of the showroom and a mini-cafeteria could easily be crammed into that; with about 20% of warehouse items on site routinely and a pick-up centre for other items ordered in.

PS, I do not see 'The Well as a logical spot for anything other than their planning studio; it's just not set up for that..........or so I think.

Is there a big enough space in Atrium-on-Bay for IKEA? Can spaces be combined? I think IKEA would compliment Muji well. Atrium needs a renaissance. It has a ton of potential. A home/housewares-focused mall downtown would be cool.

People tired of their flat pack IKEA dressers, drawers, cabinets and tables will now be able to sell them back to the furniture retailer for resale in its stores as secondhand.

The world's biggest furniture group, said on Tuesday the "Buy Back" initiative was part of its aim to become "a fully circular and climate positive business by 2030."

Under the scheme customers will get vouchers to spend at IKEA stores, the value of which depends on the condition of the furniture they are selling back.

The initiative will be promoted in a campaign running from Nov. 24 through to Dec. 3, though the offer will continue after that date.

Customers with "as new" items, with no scratches, will get 50% of the original price, "very good" items, with minor scratches, will get 40% and "well used", with several scratches, will get 30%.

One possible catch for customers from the scheme is that products must be returned "fully assembled."

IKEA said vouchers will have no expiry date to encourage customers to purchase items only when they are needed.

"By making sustainable living more simple and accessible, IKEA hopes that the initiative will help its customers take a stand against excessive consumption this Black Friday and in the years to come," it said in reference to Nov. 27, when lots of retailers offer big discounts on their products.

IKEA said that anything that cannot be resold will be recycled or donated to charity.

By 2021, IKEA plans to have dedicated areas in every store where people can sell back their old furniture and find repaired or refurbished furniture.

Last week, IKEA said it sees sales returning to growth this year after the coronavirus crisis boosted shoppers' interest in spending more on their homes, a trend it believes is here to stay.

IKEA Launches 1st Small-Format Design Studio for Canadian Market

Sept 12, 2021
Advertisement

IKEA in Canada has just launched a new standalone concept offering a dedicated space for personalized design services with IKEA experts and one-on-one planning.

The IKEA Design Studio’s first location is in Oshawa, Ontario and it’s just one of several in development. The Oshawa location is designed to reach out to the retail giant’s customers in the Greater Toronto Area.

Toronto Area Manager Niclas Karlsson-Järnkrok said the new concept for the Canadian market allows customers to design and order complex home furnishing systems for the kitchen, bath, bedroom and living room by scheduling one-on-one planning sessions with a trained IKEA design expert or via a self-service planning station in a dedicated studio space.

“Our ambition is to become more accessible to GTA residents by bringing IKEA closer to them and offering new, convenient services that meet their growing needs,” he said. “The IKEA Design Studio is one of the many ways we’re enabling our customers to interact seamlessly with IKEA, especially as we continue to evolve the spaces in our homes to meet the changing demands of our lives at home.

Any updates on the new Ikea on Yonge in the Aura building at Gerrard? Was supposed to open early 2022.

I saw a note somewhere (Ikea website) about them hiring - but can't see it now; so perhaps they are close to opening.

Any updates on the new Ikea on Yonge in the Aura building at Gerrard? Was supposed to open early 2022.

I saw a note somewhere (Ikea website) about them hiring - but can't see it now; so perhaps they are close to opening.

FWIW, I poked around after you inquired.............

Usually, I can get a straight answer, which, I may or may not able to share.........

In this case, even I got fuzzy........

Soon, I was told........but no specifics.

Passed by the other day and the fitout looks complete. Looking into the second floor, shelves and walls are stocked.

Google maps says opening May, which I'd believe.

Back