News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

It's a ridiculous blanket opinion that only serves to make people rant about how wrong you were. You might not be intending to be a troll but, come on. Some are already listed in the thread but, off the top of my head, here are some bands who have released good music -if not great- in the past decade who would be perfect for such a festival:
Arcade Fire
Wilco
Radiohead
U2
REM
Hey, Rosetta
Joel Plaskett
Broken Social Scene and/or Feist
Sam Roberts & Kathleen Edwards (both of whom played at SARSstock)
My Morning Jacket

...for starters. And you couldn't go wrong with the Hip and a few "classic rock" acts either. I'm sure others here could list 20 more.

"Nothing has been released in the last decade that is worth praise"???
That's not even true if you only listen to CLASSICAL music.

:rolleyes: um, hello? ever heard of Justin Timberlake?

The fact that you still think Justin Timberlake is a punchline shows how out of touch you are. He has released some of the most brilliant recordings of the past decade (and I don't mean that in a sneeringly ironic way), and we can only wish that he appears at SARStock II.

It's a ridiculous blanket opinion that only serves to make people rant about how wrong you were. You might not be intending to be a troll but, come on. Some are already listed in the thread but, off the top of my head, here are some bands who have released good music -if not great- in the past decade who would be perfect for such a festival:
Arcade Fire
Wilco
Radiohead
U2
REM
Hey, Rosetta
Joel Plaskett
Broken Social Scene and/or Feist
Sam Roberts & Kathleen Edwards (both of whom played at SARSstock)
My Morning Jacket

...for starters. And you couldn't go wrong with the Hip and a few "classic rock" acts either. I'm sure others here could list 20 more.

"Nothing has been released in the last decade that is worth praise"???
That's not even true if you only listen to CLASSICAL music.

And none of those bands appeal to me. U2 has released good music in the last decade? Their last solid album was Achtung Baby.

Musical preference aside it's hard to ignore the number of successful acts coming out of the Toronto.

OT but was I the only one who thought that dragonette's song "pick up the phone" was done by Shakira?

Musical preference aside it's hard to ignore the number of successful acts coming out of the Toronto.

OT but was I the only one who thought that dragonette's song "pick up the phone" was done by Shakira?

Success doesn't necessarily mean good quality. Miley Cyrus is successful. Buckethead is the only musician I can think of these days that consistently puts out great, unique music.

Dugmor is obviously trolling. To discredit the past decade of music suggests that he is ignorant of the world of music beyond what's popular on a few radio stations.

Judging by the names dropped in the Torontoist article however, I am already writing this festival off. What Toronto really needs is a festival like Coachella. While it is nice to see such a large event in the works, it's unfortunate that the music will likely appeal to the lowest common denominator. The Toronto Island Concert coming up this summer looks promising, but I'd like to see something like that expanded into a three day event with artists from many genres and countries.

Dugmor is obviously trolling. To discredit the past decade of music suggests that he is ignorant of the world of music beyond what's popular on a few radio stations.

Judging by the names dropped in the Torontoist article however, I am already writing this festival off. What Toronto really needs is a festival like Coachella. While it is nice to see such a large event in the works, it's unfortunate that the music will likely appeal to the lowest common denominator. The Toronto Island Concert coming up this summer looks promising, but I'd like to see something like that expanded into a three day event with artists from many genres and countries.

I never listen to the radio. Underground music is just as lame these days for the most part.

Well Hillside Festival usually has a good lineup, though obviously nothing like Coachella. This summer's Olympic Island concert could be very good. Broken Social Scene is curating it and them, Pavement and Band of Horses are already confirmed. Considering the bands associated with BSS, it'd be fair to say there's some good potential there.

I'm not sure why a huge festival hasn't taken off here. You'd think that with the population base and the huge music community that has developed there would be some interest.

Well since this thread has veered off into a debate about the value of popular music, I present to you my dream list of Canadian talent that should play this show (I'm listing a lot of artists but this is a two day festival that will likely have multiple stages):

Sam Roberts, Holy Fuck, Feist, Sloan, Great Lake Swimmers, Rufus Wainwright, Ohbijou, K'naan, Arcade Fire, k-os, Meaghan Smith, Ron Sexsmith, Kardinall Offishall, The Rascalz, Broken Social Scene, Metric, The Tragically Hip, Coeur de Pirate, Elliott Brood.

It's a pretty diverse list. Admittedly, a lineup like that will probably not draw 600,000 people. Check out the ones you have not heard of. I love Canadian Music pre-1990s but i think this show should be showcase new talent and play for the young crowd.

Nothing has been released in the last decade that is worth praise.

oh wow--that is just so impoverished. anyone that says stuff like that doesn't even like music.

there is always amazing music around. always. more than any one person can even keep up with. just like there are always great books, great movies, great buildings. but maybe you don't like books, movies or buildings either.

here's a random example of 'some good music' from about a month ago*:

[video=youtube;Ds3yl7YjVyM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ds3yl7YjVyM[/video]

*i know you'll come back with some grouchy riposte like "i didn't think that was so great"; in which case i will say "whatever man, just go back to your lonely little music bereft troll hole"--lets skip that part.

I do think that Canadian music seems to have declined a lot, especially if you at mainstream rock music. The new music on the radio today is definitely much worse than it was 10-15 years ago. It seems most of the good music coming out has moved underground, whereas in 15 years ago it would have been mainstream, and so it is harder to find good music that is new.

I actually think it easier to look for old music I had never heard before. I am in my 20's so there is a lot I have not heard, so there is no point in enduring the crap on radio or tv. I just recently discovered the Grapes of Wrath, which are a great Canadian band from the 80's. The bands getting the most airplay today are a far cry from the Grapes of Wrath, imo.

I'm not sure why a huge festival hasn't taken off here. You'd think that with the population base and the huge music community that has developed there would be some interest.

Maybe because a NXNE type of event works more at a "Toronto scale"? "Huge festivals" seem more like a touristy boondoggle by comparison...

Back