News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Ever since the city introduced the new H-GO land use designation I've been noticing them popping up like crazy on the Dmap. Pretty stoked to see more midblock missing middle type density!

All four of these are just from Banff trail/Captitol Hill
I think I saw signage for one on 33 Ave SW recently as well.

H-GO applications usually also include basement suites, so 8 units on a 50 foot lot. Some examples of typical H-GO applications can be found on DMap, but granted these ones are two 50' lots each:

I thought we had already had H-GO type developments or am I missing something?

I thought we had already had H-GO type developments or am I missing something?
We've seen lots of small rowhome developments with two strips of rowhomes separated by a garage access area like this one (6 units) for example, but I don't think we've seen any that have like 10 units on a parcel that size. the H-GO is similar to what we've seen but boosts the density even higher.

I like the idea of the H-GO zoning. Not just because it adds extra density, but the basement units for example could be used as a way of getting younger people into an affordable, modern living space in an inner city neighborhood. The larger upper units could also be decently affordable for people with kids who want a larger space but also to live in the inner city.

Last edited:
Would that one on Parkdale Boulevard with the red brick count? I’m pretty sure that’s 10 units, maybe more.

Oh that’s right, it is like a block long. And I have no idea what spot. It’s the really nice rowhouse development on Parkdale Blvd across from the Bow.

Spotted this next door to the Kingsland Assisted Living building site. Decent density for one lot!
F38DFEE8-3294-4418-BF08-3936F68791D0.jpeg

4 units+4 basement suites in the main building and 1 garage suite in the other building. It appears to only have 4 parking spaces though, so the occupants of the basement and garage suites are gonna be SOL.

4 units+4 basement suites in the main building and 1 garage suite in the other building. It appears to only have 4 parking spaces though, so the occupants of the basement and garage suites are gonna be SOL.
Less than 30 minutes to either MRU or downtown by high frequency transit.

I wonder when it was designated m-c1.

1677974536837.png

We've seen lots of small rowhome developments with two strips of rowhomes separated by a garage access area like this one (6 units) for example, but I don't think we've seen any that have like 10 units on a parcel that size. the H-GO is similar to what we've seen but boosts the density even higher.

I like the idea of the H-GO zoning. Not just because it adds extra density, but the basement units for example could be used as a way of getting younger people into an affordable, modern living space in an inner city neighborhood. The larger upper units could also be decently affordable for people with kids who want a larger space but also to live in the inner city.

All of them were done through direct control zoning prior to the bylaw changes in the fall, and those were usually 5 units and 5 suites as well. The new H-GO's are almost always 5 units and 5 suites per 50x120 parcel. It could've been 6 units and 6 suites if council didn't bump up the parking.

Found this interesting example online. It is on 17th Ave SW, at the NE corner of the intersection with 24A Street. So, right along the Main Street, where we just put in a significant streetscape upgrade. It is live-work units, so hopefully some active uses on the main floor. The DP has been approved, based on the IG post it sounds like construction is starting soon:

1679520785476.png

Current location:

Back