News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Thanks for the link.
Two important things I noticed that are both positive. He stated that Toronto needs both subways and LRT finally someone stating the truth where one technology does NOT fit all unlike Miller that LRT was the only option for Toronto. He also stated clearly that Toronto desperately needs a DRL, again something that wasn't even on Miller's agenda.

The Downtown Rapid Transit Expansion Study has been on the TTC's website (link) for a couple years before Rob Ford became Mayor. So is was on his agenda, but should be moved up in priority to before the Yonge extension.

So is was on his agenda, but should be moved up in priority to before the Yonge extension.
Miller council did put Downtown Relief Line ahead of Yonge Extension.

See the January 27, 2009 Council vote on the Yonge Subway Extension – Environmental Assessment Submission - http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2009.EX28.1 It clearly says that "Metrolinx be requested to prioritize the Downtown Relief Line in advance of the Yonge North Extension in order to accommodate capacity issues resulting from the extension of the Yonge Subway." Oddly, Miller himself voted to move it from the 25-year plan to the 15-year plan, but initially against the motion putting it ahead of Yonge - but then voted in favour of the entire item that did put it ahead of Yonge. Either way, it was clearly on his agenda, in a similar timeframe to the Yonge extension.

Last edited:
I'm normally a lurker, but I felt compelled to weigh in on the whole TTC vs Metrolinx debate that seemed to be going on here. As a someone who has formerly worked at both organizations, I would have to say that I found the TTC to be overall a better and more professionally run place. That isn't to say there aren't any problems, I would say the top one would be extremely inflexible regulations on how different things had to be done (This problem also exists at Metrolinx). The difference between the types of service offered by each agency is quite immense though so if you must make comparisons on their actual performance, it would be best to compare each with an equivalent system in another city/region.

Out of NY MTO

Maybe he'll come back to Toronto. But fighting with DoFo won't be any easier than Byford's fights with Cuomo.

Metrolinx's botched takeover of the TTC subway network would've put Toronto in more or less the same political situation as New York City. The State government effectively runs the system, but they also refuse to take on financial responsibility for the system, hence the toxic relationship between NYC and the state government. New Yorkers will never see any meaningful improvements until the city fully controls the system. The state government clearly does not give a damn about the state of the system.

It would be great if he could come back. He was by far the best CEO the TTC had in my lifetime. You could actually sense that he was making a difference. The current guy is an absolute useless joke in comparison.

You're young enough not to know Gunn in the mid-late 90s? I wouldn't say Byford is better - different times with different challenges - but Gunn is certainly influential (SOGR is his thing, and he cleaned up the TTC as an org)

AoD

Please Andy,...

YourMyOnlyHope-vblog.png

You're young enough not to know Gunn in the mid-late 90s? I wouldn't say Byford is better - different times with different challenges - but Gunn is certainly influential (SOGR is his thing, and he cleaned up the TTC as an org)

AoD

I vaguely recall David Gunn having a very prickly persona who was constantly warring with politicians, and was not an advocate for system expansion, which would make him a poor CEO in my opinion. Or am I thinking of someone else?

I vaguely recall David Gunn having a very prickly persona who was constantly warring with politicians, and was not an advocate for system expansion, which would make him a poor CEO in my opinion. Or am I thinking of someone else?

Basically correct. I vaguely recall he refused to show up at the Downsview (now Sheppard West) station opening because it was an umpteen million dollar expansion for which the money could be better spent on SOGR. He wasn’t wrong then - the subway system.was dilapidated and unsafe due to neglected maintenances (Russell Hill happened at the beginning of his tenure). His focus on rectifying these issues over expansion is the correct one.

AoD

Back