News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

The WLRT construction along 104 Ave happening at the same time as Jasper Ave construction will tie up commuters between the west-end and downtown. That's not just craziness but bordering on incompetency. I don't see the mad rush in the Jasper Ave construction when that can wait until after 2027 (i.e. after 5 years).

We don't have the same volume of traffic coming into downtown from the Westend that we had pre-pandemic. Jasper Ave traffic volumes west of 109 street were definitely not high this week (even though many provincial employees returned to the office this week) and that's with 104 Ave down to some single lane traffic right now.

I think basing a decision on traffic volumes two years ago before remote/mobile work became a big thing is off the mark. My company where I work has 1,300 employees, half are now permanent wfh and 100 are permanent in the office and the rest are mobile coming in about half time. That right there has an impact on traffic volumes daily. Our company is not alone. Traffic volumes are less.

On a personal note, as an Oliver resident, not sure I'm up for another10 years of construction two blocks away from me on either side. Westend commuters shouldn't be the only stakeholder in this decision.

City admin recommended that Jasper Ave from 109-124st be completed faster (by 2023) when council was deciding on this work (2019 budget). As we know, they unfortunately opted for a longer timeline while knowing the west valley lrt line was coming, too.

how many multi-millions of dollars can you spend on how many phases for how many years on a street and not even have the lanes line up from one side of its intersections to the other before you consider your efforts a swing and a miss?

Will the Chinese gate be installed on 97 St sometime this year?
I understand that the COE is collaborating with Harbin again (as with the old one) so not sure how long it will take to get materials for that from China and manufactured in time to install this year (I think next year is more likely, especially with ongoing supply chain issues).

Now that work has restarted I see why the 99st section was not done last year. It appears that a parkade or some type of structure is built below the street.
PXL_20220504_151457162.jpg

No, I don't think so, @The_Cat . The bridge over Groat Road will be closed during the Valley Line LRT construction, therefore a good chunk of that traffic will be rerouted to 102 Ave/Jasper Ave. To continue any of the Jasper Ave construction during that time instead of waiting until 2027 or later would be unwise if you ask me.

But oh no, everything has to be done now. :rolleyes:

No, I don't think so, @The_Cat . The bridge over Groat Road will be closed during the Valley Line LRT construction, therefore a good chunk of that traffic will be rerouted to 102 Ave/Jasper Ave. To continue any of the Jasper Ave construction during that time instead of waiting until 2027 or later would be unwise if you ask me.

But oh no, everything has to be done now. :rolleyes:

I get your point, but one the other hand, considering the pace things have been done on Jasper Ave so far, if we wait until 2027, It'll be done by 2031, at least, which would be a decade later than the most recent improvements. By that time, we'll likely need to facelift the stretches we've just done in the past couple of years.

Back