News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

^ Gotta think that's meth. Not sure what else makes you want to unbolt metal bollards from the ground, Looks like the tamper proof nut saved that one in the foreground, at least.

I’ve noticed that they have dispatch exactly ZERO garbage picking crews….so hopefully they do sooner than later.

This one block section of Jasper Ave (113-114) where Circle K is located is a problem area. Ongoing garbage, broken glass, left behind belongings and various people in need.

With Basilica across the street, there are often 1 or more people looking for donations outside the church.

Does the city take care of this, or is it up to property owners?
Depends on the location. Private property is obviously private ownership responsibility to clean up. In @TAS photos, I believe those are City maintained shrub beds, so the City would be responsible for cleaning up litter within.

However, it's certainly appreciated when private property owners help out picking up litter rather than waiting for the City to do it.

Depends on the location. Private property is obviously private ownership responsibility to clean up. In @TAS photos, I believe those are City maintained shrub beds, so the City would be responsible for cleaning up litter within.

However, it's certainly appreciated when private property owners help out picking up litter rather than waiting for the City to do it.
A lot of the garbage in and around the area seems related to the convenience store and certainly in behind their building where the larger dumpsters are - lots of garbage builds up along the metal fencing and that is often area people tend to rest.

I've picked garbage in some of these shrub beds, this one is very littered and just continues to build up again.

Thankfully the city clean up crew handled this mess from Sunday at Capilano area park on Monday
crack.jpg

In a better world, we could have nicer spaces, but until some of the more fundamental issues related to downtown are better dealt with this will remain difficult.

City doesn't usually have temp summer crews staffed until mid June. Most of that is outside the Downtown BIA so it won't get the 'enhanced cleaning' treatment. Really need community groups to step up where the City doesn't or can't. I realize this is Jasper Avenue however all the City is treated the same, the core rarely gets prioritized by Operations over other parts of the City.

People living in the area could help pick up litter for like 10 mins a day and we'd see big improvements I think. There is a vacant lot near my new place that has tall grass and just attracts garbage and I went with one of those garabge picker claw things and an empty garbage can and picked it all within 10 mins or so. Private property I know but the owner doesn't care based on the condition of the vacant property.

People living in the area could help pick up litter for like 10 mins a day and we'd see big improvements I think. There is a vacant lot near my new place that has tall grass and just attracts garbage and I went with one of those garabge picker claw things and an empty garbage can and picked it all within 10 mins or so. Private property I know but the owner doesn't care based on the condition of the vacant property.
Businesses, too! It would be nice if maybe Circle K or the liquor store came out and cleaned the broken glass on the sidewalk nearby.
But in terms of the bollards that have been tampered with and the one removed and thrown in the shrub bed, hopefully it's not too many more days before the city gets to it since it was reported 3 days ago now.

Time to reconstitute the Guardian Angels?
Would rather not thanks.. In this current political environment the ideologies and people an organization like this would attract would be more akin to the proud boys.

Various chapters have had issues with harassing people without homes and biased targeting of various ethnic or marginalized people.

Lastly there is no evidence the group actually had any effect on crime in New York in the 70’s/80’s

The head of the group has been married 4 times and his life largely reads of one who has grifted his way into his upper east end apartment where he is now effectively a cat lady.

Back