News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

What's the story with the brownfield in the foreground? I seem to recall a strip plaza being there way back when. How has nothing been proposed for it during 15 years of a crazy condo boom??

My understanding is that it's mostly related to underground / soil cleanup - gas tanks. I'm also surprised......

Yeah, that lot has been left vacant for what seems like 2 decades or more now. Don't think I've ever seen a for sale sign or soiling testing done. Just the occasional garage sale set up along the sidewalk.

The properties at 1610-1612 Dupont Street are being listed for sale. It's about 2 and a half blocks east of the West Toronto railpath and bridge.

Currently on site is a beat-up older building and yard/outdoor parking space beside it. Could be an opportunity to better utilize the building and perhaps build over the vacant space.

dupont.JPG

The Love Chix restaurant at Dupont & Franklin has closed and moved full operations to their new Century Park Tavern location at 33 Powerhouse Street (Davenport & Lansdowne area):

Heritage Toronto posted this online tour of the Junction Triangle.
Good stuff! I learned about the half-mile gap on Bloor between Lansdowne and Dundas: https://www.heritagetoronto.org/exp...to-history/junction-triangle-transit-history/

TIL - There was no streetcar service on this part of Bloor until 1924 because the train tracks crossed Bloor at grade and it was considered too dangerous to have streetcars cross the railway tracks at grade. That explains the lack of street-oriented retail between Lansdowne and Dundas.

The Drake Commissary on Sterling Road has closed to the public. From my understanding, they'll remain in that building and continue operating to produce baked goods for the company’s restaurants and hotels.

Application for 1611 Dupont Street, the middle unit among the 5 properties in the image below:

1611 DUPONT ST
Ward 9: Davenport

To convert the existing two-storey mixed use building into an eating establishment with a service bar on in the basement level and an office space on the second storey. Furthermore, a rear ground floor outdoor patio and a rear roof top deck on the second storey will be constructed. The existing building contains a commercial unit on the ground floor and a residential unit on the second floor which will be removed.

1611dup.JPG

How common is it to convert a residential space into office these days? Seems unusual.

Not always common. But in this case, it's only one residential unit that's being converted. So it seems more like an individual instance just based on perhaps the needs of the property owner.

278 Campbell Ave. by Vic, on Flickr

278 Campbell Ave. by Vic, on Flickr

Is it just me, or does this place just look terrible? Ugly, and doesn't look like it's going to age well at all. I mean, even that awful staircase it already rusting to hell.

The original house wasn't exactly a stunner either, and it's bones are still buried in there, but damn this is turning out yucky.

Is it just me, or does this place just look terrible? Ugly, and doesn't look like it's going to age well at all. I mean, even that awful staircase it already rusting to hell.

The original house wasn't exactly a stunner either, and it's bones are still buried in there, but damn this is turning out yucky.

Nope, not just you; that's seriously awful.

Looks like better results on this new house along Symington just south of Dupont:

20220102_121100.jpg
20220102_121115.jpg

Gus Tacos signage is now up at Dupont & Perth:

20220102_121340.jpg

New Souvlaki Emporium place recently opened at the retail plaza across the street:

20220102_121403.jpg

I believe this is a recently opened tattoo place:

20220102_121509.jpg

As far as dental offices go, the front entrance here is pretty decent looking IMO:

20220102_121517.jpg

View of the middle unit that has an application for renovations:

20220102_121653.jpg

Back