News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

When Line 2 opened, merchants on Bloor and Danforth complained that they lost signficant business, because there were no more streetcars full of passengers going by their store
So that's why Bloor and Danforth are such dead streets! The anti-business crowd ruined it all with their ideas of efficiency in transportation.

So that's why Bloor and Danforth are such dead streets! The anti-business crowd ruined it all with their ideas of efficiency in transportation.

Wonder if there could be some festival on the Danforth to allow patrons, residents, and tourists a way to Taste Of The Danforth to get folks there.

Maybe if there was some Festival to honour International Film in Toronto of some sort to bring people down to King Street. But there would mean closing off the street completely to all car and taxi usage, and we can't have that. Nobody would come without access to their precious cars.

**Sarcastic**

Yeah, I see the "$1.5M" figure is being highlighted by a number of commentators, Gee just a few days back. Steve Munro was the first to flag it even before the pilot started. And it appears to still be the figure. What in hell is Council thinking? No need to answer, very few of them can actually think.

At least the TTC is implementing as much change as they can marshal at this time. The rest is up to the City. And it ain't by offering cheap or free parking. Even if motorists insist on driving downtown, the 'last mile' has to be on transit. Any effort or expense must be in covering and *enticing* that.

I'm now gaining more confidence that this will be a *political* success as so many rational and noted journos are backing it. That inertia has mass and impetus. Make no mistake though, this can still fail politically. Never underestimate the power of Council to do ridiculous things...

Instead of claiming it's not true, how about going for a drink or dinner and checking it out?
Because the King Street Pilot won’t babysit my six year old? Also: I’m not claiming its untrue, just challenging his “fake news” implication in the leading tweet and his throwing around Moneris down thread when he doesn’t have Moneris data.

Or the City just obtain Moneris results for the last two months instead of waiting until the wound further festers?

I'm getting more than a little ticked not at the kneejerks in the restaurants, but at City Hall for not getting in front of this. Find the figure, analyze and publish it, and react accordingly.

Addendum:
Trying to discern what reports Moneris supplies. Accounting makes Economics seem exciting!
I'm still trying to understand why the City doesn't release a Moneris report now. Two months not enough to indicate a trend? Indeed, so also publish the month *prior* to starting the pilot. That's essential for context of the following two anyway.

So I challenge City Hall to put an end to all the present supposition and conjecture on 'Starving Kids on King Street'.

Here's what Moneris publish. Further attempts at getting finer details are prevented by a security wall:

What kind of reports are available?

Moneris® offers a number of different reports.

Application-based and Moneris PAYDTM Administration reports:

• Real time transaction reports
  • Reports of daily batch totals.
Merchant Direct® offers a number of reports including, but not limited to:

• Monthly transaction reports
  • Daily transaction reports
  • Batch reports
  • Chargeback reports
  • Fees and deposits
For a complete list of Merchant Direct reports please log into Merchant Direct.

https://www1.moneris.com/cgi-bin/rb...&F22=L8&REQUEST=ClientSignin&LANGUAGE=ENGLISH

Anyone privy to further info on this please respond.

Last edited:

Instead of claiming it's not true, how about going for a drink or dinner and checking it out?

Same guy here claiming that King Street merchants have lost, on average, 41% of their business. When asked for sources, he has none:

https://twitter.com/chefrobgentile/status/952206044385685504

Take everything these people say with an enormous grain of salt.

I keep hearing about improved travel times. Yes, when you actually get onto a streetcar the travel times are quicker, however still issues with finding one that isn't packed to the brim. On average I'm letting 2-3 go before finding one. I count waiting for a streetcar as travel time. So my travel time has not changed.

I also wonder how much of that new ridership is from the Queen line. 3 days out of 5 I gave up waiting and just walked too the subway station as did many others.

"phenomenal success" though? That's a little much.

Reactions: BMO
I keep hearing about improved travel times. Yes, when you actually get onto a streetcar the travel times are quicker, however still issues with finding one that isn't packed to the brim. On average I'm letting 2-3 go before finding one. I count waiting for a streetcar as travel time. So my travel time has not changed.

I also wonder how much of that new ridership is from the Queen line. 3 days out of 5 I gave up waiting and just walked too the subway station as did many others.

"phenomenal success" though? That's a little much.
Well, you first got to blame the city for not funding 252 in place of the current 204 on order due to bean counter; then you got to blame BBD since they only have 62 here, not the 154 that are supposed to be here; then there TTC for not improving the headway, but then what good is that when they don't have the cars in the first place?

Since there is no current stats for Queen, its a question you need to ask from TTC and you can start asking Brad Ross on twitter and send an email into TTC as well.

Both 501 & 504 has always been wait a car or 5 before getting on, as well that long gap between cars due to traffic.

I have only done one trip through the whole area and a lot faster than before, even waiting a delay 504 car.

Well, you first got to blame the city for not funding 252 in place of the current 204 on order due to bean counter; then you got to blame BBD since they only have 62 here, not the 154 that are supposed to be here.
No - that won't wash. It assumes the province will commit to pay their third for the additional 48 *at the same time* that they committed to Transit City. You also want the TTC and Council to have looked into the future and anticipate that Bombardier would deliver at a catastrophically poor rate compared to past contracts. Come on now. There's fair criticism and then there is this.

Last edited:
This person seems very upset by #KingStreetPilot. Maybe some of the criticisms are well founded but then when this gets thrown in there: https://twitter.com/digitaltincan/status/952241589526646785

Fact - if you can't get business even though area density has risen umpteen percent since 1990s. it's your problem. Deal with it. The funniest is the tweet by said invididual about how no one in NYC or London expect 15 minute transit commutes - yeah, as opposed to them expecting cheap, plentiful parking, right?

AoD

Fact - if you can't get business even though area density has risen umpteen percent since 1990s. it's your problem. Deal with it. The funniest is the tweet by said invididual about how no one in NYC or London expect 15 minute transit commutes - yeah, as opposed to them expecting cheap, plentiful parking, right?

AoD
I wouldn't tweet that. You'll get blocked as I just was.

Back