News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Wal-Mart is opening this Thursday - and it looks like they are not isolating themselves from the rest of the mall

20221016_150711.jpg

20221016_152349.jpg

coming soon to what used to be Second Cup and Woodrack Cafe

20221016_150907.jpg

Another addition to the food court - can't remember what was there before

20221016_151044.jpg

former Disney space

20221016_151518.jpg

Well, I stopped in the other day to Walmart and it is basically as expected. I do like that the ground floor is mainly grocery and kitchen ware, while the second level is pharmacy, clothing, house ware, toys and electronics. The electronics is also as far possible from store entrances to as best minimize theft.

Most of every dollar you spend here goes south of the border.
Well beside the wages paid to local employees, income taxes on those wages, corporate income taxes paid in Canada, GST/HST collected on sales, and of course profits earned by wal mart that can be attributed to Canadian investors 😃

Yes, we get it, you don't like Walmart's business practices, I don't either. But the comments are about the location not the Walmart business model.
Personally I don't mind that Walmart has filled this space rather than the mall leaving it empty for who knows how much longer. It would have been nice for a different retailer to move in, but as far as I know there aren't many retailers interested and capable of filling that kind of square footage.

If we keep making excuses for bad actors in retail or, for that matter, poor efforts in terms of aesthetic standards for buildings, then we kind of get what we deserve. Walmart from its very inception was an institution that wanted to "maximize profits by any means" -- a kind of Trump of the Retail World. When is enough enough?

You would "imagine" wrong!... most of my investment income goes north of the border. Small potatoes, however, compared to the flow the other way via internationals based in the U.S. who are "seeding" Canada.

Well beside the wages paid to local employees, income taxes on those wages, corporate income taxes paid in Canada, GST/HST collected on sales, and of course profits earned by wal mart that can be attributed to Canadian investors 😃
@archited Not to mention the revenue generated to Canadian producers who sell their products to Walmart, the money they spend on utilities, transportation, storage. They might not be good, but I doubt a Canadian-based big box retailer would be any better. Real Canadian Superstore's owner, Loblaw Co., also explores their employees, kills smaller competitors and ships a lot of it's profit abroad (might I remind you that the Weston family is mostly UK-based).

The money these things make circulate locally is still a net positive, especially when you consider how long a space such as that one was empty, generating nothing but costs.

And then there's the likely additional foot traffic at the mall itself, which could very well help sustain the current businesses there, if not stimulate the opening of new ones. The concept of anchor stores is not completely outdated and, if there's a good synergy between the mall and the anchor store, it can be very beneficial.

Not no mention that this is now another grocery store that can be reached by LRT, which might prove itself very useful and beneficial to a lot of people, especially students and people who chose not to have a private vehicle, considering our climate, after all, how many of these do we have? If we're being realistic, we have Safeway at Southgate and Save On Foods on Jasper/109. If we're being generous, we have Save On Foods on 112 ave/82 st, Safeway in Century Park and Superstore in Clareview, and even these are a bit of a walk in the winter. We'll have the Ice District City Market, but it caters to a higher income public.

Back