News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

It looks ok in the pictures and maybe it being more basic allows attention to focus more on the legislature itself, the fountain, pool and grounds all of which are all spectacular.

I was never a fan of the pebbled concrete before which seemed to be from a certain era and somehow take some attention away from the rest, but it was fairly durable. Hopefully the new concrete will hold up well.

It looks ok in the pictures and maybe it being more basic allows attention to focus more on the legislature itself, the fountain, pool and grounds all of which are all spectacular.

I was never a fan of the pebbled concrete before which seemed to be from a certain era and somehow take some attention away from the rest, but it was fairly durable. Hopefully the new concrete will hold up well.
Exposed aggregate is the name of the finish. Done on the cheap by Lougheed

Exposed aggregate is the name of the finish. Done on the cheap by Lougheed
Yes, it seemed to be everywhere at that time. Generally Lougheed spent more money on things and better quality, but I seem to recall some controversy about spending so much on the Leg, so maybe some things were cut back.

However, he also did like the style of that era so I suppose it fit in with that in an attempt to make it appear more modern. Although IMO it clashed with the building and grounds. Glad to see it finally gone.

Yes, it seemed to be everywhere at that time. Generally Lougheed spent more money on things and better quality, but I seem to recall some controversy about spending so much on the Leg, so maybe some things were cut back.

However, he also did like the style of that era so I suppose it fit in with that in an attempt to make it appear more modern. Although IMO it clashed with the building and grounds. Glad to see it finally gone.
True! I remember being a kid when this was being built - '79? My mother would always say as we drove through the tunnel during construction or after and her calling it "Lougheed's PALACE." So I am assuming it was quite pricey. Apparently at the time, YEG got this and YYC got a medical facility or hospital at the same time.

Such a great playground for the kids! 🙃

CCE38B50-FE9E-4B52-81C4-EEA7E266D0B3.jpeg
3104D85F-505D-4CC2-96B8-309C124BECCB.jpeg

FFS.
I had a similar experience during my first visit last month. Four homeless glaring at me. One berating me for some reason. I think because I had the nerve to take a picture of the park. And NOT with them in it. Two others passed out on one of the benches. If I had young kids I would have gone right home and brought them there to play. So safe and inviting.

This is brutal and this is why we are a joke. Spend good money on an amenity meant for families, and it’s occupied by druggies and homeless. Kick these mother fuckers off… can we not have any area that is nice and guaranteed to be free of trouble?? Is that asking too much??

This is brutal and this is why we are a joke. Spend good money on an amenity meant for families, and it’s occupied by druggies and homeless. Kick these mother fuckers off… can we not have any area that is nice and guaranteed to be free of trouble?? Is that asking too much??

Don't kid yourself. There is virtually nothing in this Centennial Plaza behind the library that is fun for children/families even if the folks in those pics weren't there. I don't understand the choice of features in this plaza - some of which are targeting kids but lack any kind of engagement.

It has nice landscaping and benches, though.

Last edited:
Don't kid yourself. There is virtually nothing in this plaza that is fun for children/families even if the folks in those pics weren't there. I don't understand the choice of features in this plaza.

It has nice landscaping and benches, though.
As has already been pointed out the pictures are not at or near the Legislature Grounds, which I also suspect has fairly active security patrols.

The sad thing about nice landscaping and benches in certain areas is it can end up turning into homeless hangouts. This is sometimes what happens when idealistic planning meets reality.

Oh, my bad. Wrong thread. Just searched centennial plaza cause that’s what this is. But I guess this is the legislature centennial thread. Not the Milner library centennial thread.

Admins can please move to correct thread.

Back