News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Feeling controversial tonight. What is so terrible about the very rough sketch provided?

Clunky.
Not Euro-Esque.
Design Failure.

Frankly. The sketches are nicer than the GO monstrosity across the 401 in Pickering. Someone was trying too hard there. And there is a freakin’ yellow footbridge down somewhere over the rail corridor. Both of those are eyesores in comparison to the sketches of this. And at the end of the day, not everything can be a landmark.

I'm not super fussed about the design -- what I hate is how impractical it is. They should've found a way to acquire enough land or situate it such that it could be a ramp rather than stairs. It's pretty close to useless for cyclists and, as a pedestrian, I'd prefer a ramp as well.

the crazy thing is that this is listed in the 10 year cycling master plan. It is essentially unusable by a cyclist, it will serve almost no cycling trips.
To clamber over that, or even use the elevator is a complete disincentive to me and other cyclists. It's just somehow 'wrong' in every respect, save for people with mobility issues.

From Mike Layton:
Happy to announce the construction tender for the King Liberty Pedestrian Cycling Bridge was awarded earlier this week. The rendering process took longer than expected because the companies that bid on the contract requested more time to get their bids submitted. But now that it has been awarded, expect a construction notice to circulate shortly as work could start quickly.

It is probably in here somewhere but I am feeling lazy.....can someone remind me how proximate this bridge will be to the proposed/planned GO station for LV on the Kitchener line?

In what way can these two projects be integrated, other than being linked up by the Railpath?
again, I obviously don't know their proximity to each other (or I would not have asked) but if they are only 500 m apart it would seem they have a relationship to fill.....so, for example, is it possible for someone crossing from the north side via the bridge to get down from the bridge onto the eb track level platform on the south side to catch a train or will they have to complete their crossing to street level...walk 500m down the street then go up another set of stairs to get to the platform....things like that.

The topography and existing built form may limit how much can be done but all I wished for was "the people planning these two projects can, at least, talk "

again, I obviously don't know their proximity to each other (or I would not have asked) but if they are only 500 m apart it would seem they have a relationship to fill.....so, for example, is it possible for someone crossing from the north side via the bridge to get down from the bridge onto the eb track level platform on the south side to catch a train or will they have to complete their crossing to street level...walk 500m down the street then go up another set of stairs to get to the platform....things like that.

The topography and existing built form may limit how much can be done but all I wished for was "the people planning these two projects can, at least, talk "

Here is the latest station location. Only way to connect to is via the Railpath.
upload_2018-6-8_23-37-4.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-6-8_23-37-4.png
    upload_2018-6-8_23-37-4.png
    775.4 KB · Views: 872
From Mike Layton: "Happy to announce the construction tender for the King Liberty Pedestrian Cycling Bridge was awarded earlier this week. The rendering process took longer than expected because the companies that bid on the contract requested more time to get their bids submitted. But now that it has been awarded, expect a construction notice to circulate shortly as work could start quickly."

Here's where the update was posted. He also answered questions that arose.

Happy to announce the construction tender for the King Liberty Pedestrian Cycling Bridge was awarded earlier this week. The rendering process took longer than expected because the companies that bid on the contract requested more time to get their bids submitted. But now that it has been awarded, expect a construction notice to circulate shortly as work could start quickly.

Q: Wasn’t this announced 4 years ago? How did it take this long to render bids on the project?
A: We confirmed the funding four years ago (while it was in the plan, there was no money planned for ti), but once funding was assigned, it wasn't scheduled in the capital budget. We have had several technical and intergovernmental (Metrolinx) that have delayed issuing the tender.

Q: If I announced I was tendered for a project years after expectation I would be fired. Not congratulated.
A: I appreciate the frustration with the delay, there are fewer files that have needed as much supervision as this project, but respectfully, the delays have not been entirely caused by the city. First, there was no funding allocated to the construction of the project until 2014 when, after fighting for 4 years for the money, it was finally included in the future capital budget for construction in 2016-2017. But delays with Metrolinx schedule to complete the overpass pass, then with city engineering staff about the feasibility of the technical aspects of the design, and more recently because of construction and maintenance agreements with Metrolinx, pushed it back. These steps are all critical to happen in sequence after funding was assigned as we don't want to pay for work for the project that does not have resources to complete it. Even the tender was delayed 2 months at the request of the bidding contractors to get their bids together (only two contractors completed bids, so we really didn['t have a choice). I know it is long overdue and I wish that when Liberty Village was originally designed and buildings started getting built, that these infrastructure pieces were included. but we can't turn back time and I wasn't there so can't defend the city's position. I am happy to say that our community activism has now got another almost $100M to build the new Liberty east West Street, another piece that should have been built already.

Q: So, when does the east west street construction start?
A: We need to expropriate land from a couple parking lots from Atlantic to Dufferin. This is a legal proceeding and takes a long time. $90 million to construct road is scheduled from 2020-2022. This money is new into the capital budget, I was only added this year.

Back