News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Almost ready

5w0h.jpg

Vast improvement but an unfortunate roof treatment. Guess the budget didn't allow for a proper historical / histiricist roof reconstruction. At a bare minimum, they should paint the aluminum roof panels black to match the cornice.

Last edited:
There is zero reason to use black aluminium to show off these roof features. The grey blends in well and is unassuming. The façade is the showpiece here, not the roof.

It took a long time for the Church to raise the funds for this and they should be very proud of their accomplishments. Fantastic job all around.

Would this area be considered ghetto?

This was a no-go zone at night for the longest time, but the last 10 to 15 years have been kinder to Old Toronto and it's turning around quite drastically in recent years, too, with a lot more improvements to come. New residential and commercial developments, minus the car dealerships, like the Distillery condos and the West Don Lands projects have had a huge impact already on cleaning things up for the better. It's definitely worth checking out and it's a bonus if you enjoy history.

This was a no-go zone at night for the longest time, but the last 10 to 15 years have been kinder to Old Toronto and it's turning around quite drastically in recent years, too, with a lot more improvements to come. New residential and commercial developments, minus the car dealerships, like the Distillery condos and the West Don Lands projects have had a huge impact already on cleaning things up for the better. It's definitely worth checking out and it's a bonus if you enjoy history.

hmm really ? I don't think that's true, even 15/20 years ago, it was a no-go zone area in general but simply due to a lack of anything much, there was a lot of industry on King that was simply left.

Many don't know but the initial condo boom in the core (in recent times) was actually right here ! I've always thought many of the condo's in the King East area do a really great job integrating into the neighborhood compared; They don't stand out but blend in nicely and the details are generally better then what you see elsewhere.

Anyway ghetto may apply to further North of King, is that where you were thinking ?

I don't know...For some reason the before pic just gave me that assumption.

Those two houses were just left abandoned for too long. The surrounding buildings are well maintained. This has absolutely never been a "no go zone", that's preposterous.

This has absolutely never been a "no go zone", that's preposterous.

Absolutely, never, and preposterous? Should have clarified that I was taking more of Downtown East in general rather than King St East specifically. Regent Park, Moss park, and Corktown were all no-go zones 10 years ago for anyone that I knew. Major areas still are. It's slowly getting better. Absolutely. Although the numerous Methadone clinics are still disturbing but the demolition of the crack house next to the Corktown Mews project was an achievement.

Now back to the Little Trinity Church Workman's Cottages...

Absolutely, never, and preposterous? Should have clarified that I was taking more of Downtown East in general rather than King St East specifically. Regent Park, Moss park, and Corktown were all no-go zones 10 years ago for anyone that I knew. Major areas still are. It's slowly getting better. Absolutely. Although the numerous Methadone clinics are still disturbing but the demolition of the crack house next to the Corktown Mews project was an achievement.

Now back to the Little Trinity Church Workman's Cottages...

King East was probably a no go zone for Orangemen a century ago.

It's one of Toronto's quirks how neighbourhoods are so distinct that it makes them feel far apart. There may only be four blocks to Moss Park, but it might as well be four miles. However even 1990's Regent Park was only tenuously a no go zone. I walked through there at night many times without incident or even having something to worry about. The reputation of the area is greatly exaggerated, and in any case almost all of the violence happens in the buildings to people in gangs, not to random people outside. It's definitely as safe as any other part of downtown now.

EDIT: I should ad I am a tall, young, male who grew up in a city environment. I am comfortable dealing with a homeless man approaching me for money at 3 am, and I can see some people would feel uncomfortable with that.

Last edited:
I don't know...For some reason the before pic just gave me that assumption.
That's a pretty silly reason to assume anything. This is/was one building in a large neighbourhood. I assume you live in Hamilton and if so you might want to take the GO train in one day and walk around a bit.

Absolutely, never, and preposterous? Should have clarified that I was taking more of Downtown East in general rather than King St East specifically. Regent Park, Moss park, and Corktown were all no-go zones 10 years ago for anyone that I knew....

1. Regent & Moss Parks are nowhere near King & Parliament.
2. I've been taking my daughters to Moss Park arena, the pool next door, and Regent Park school of music for 10+ years with no issues. The worst part of that 'nabe is probably the stretch from Queen to Dundas on Sherbourne, due to the bookend shelters, and they're just fine to walk through.

So... I'd say your friends should get out more.

1. Regent & Moss Parks are nowhere near King & Parliament.
2. I've been taking my daughters to Moss Park arena, the pool next door, and Regent Park school of music for 10+ years with no issues. The worst part of that 'nabe is probably the stretch from Queen to Dundas on Sherbourne, due to the bookend shelters, and they're just fine to walk through.

So... I'd say your friends should get out more.

To clarify for the last time...I wasn't taking about King St E specifically...but rather Moss Park, Regent Park and Corktown in Downtown East...you know, places within 500M. If you haven't lived here or you don't seriously think that there have been problems here in the past or present then maybe you need to get out more...especially walk by a Methadone Clinic and have guys waiting in line pee directly in the street at 2 p.m. to harass women going by. The sidewalks around these clinics are gross. I'm happy that you don't see these things, but I'd worry for your daughter, wife or mother if they were in these areas by themselves at night. Ya, I can protect myself too and was in the force for awhile at 20. Wasn't talking about my own safety though.

We all have comfort levels with sketchy people and see what we want to see. Maybe I see too much and know about the rampant domestic violence in the buildings here which makes me cynical.

Hope we can get back to talking about the workman's cottages...because they really have done a fantastic job :D

Back