News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

I bet rehab construction has been delayed due to engineering finding more and more issues that need to be resolved

It's the high level I'm worried about. What is the plan for that ? Is there a plan ? Is it funded it repairs are needed ? What if it needs to be re-built ? Given the fact that a large number of busses needed replacing and now that there is no money to replace them, could the same thing happen with the High Level.
Listen, it's not difficult, you have an asset that is 100 years old, needs replacing at current dollars, set aside that amount of $$ each year. Perhaps Edmontonians need a direct vote on this, eg, do you want .01% set aside each year for the high level/ low bridge to deal with replacement costs. If the vote is No, ok, well, then no bridge.
In the US they regularly vote on line items, perhaps that is the way to go. Then the yes and No is directly attributed to the taxpayer.
It's time that we all, city, taxpayers take sh*t or get off the pot

Pretty sure the high-level rehab will be commencing relatively soon and money has been set aside for that project. Haven't heard a thing about the low-level bridge though.

Pretty sure the high-level rehab will be commencing relatively soon and money has been set aside for that project. Haven't heard a thing about the low-level bridge though.

Here is High Level Bridge info - doesn't seem anything confirmed yet.

In a quick search, I didn't find anything on low level.

I understand the need and support for historical designations (I would have loved to still see the Tegler, old court house, and old library still standing) but the High Level is an eyesore at best. Historical designation or not, it is not functioning nor supporting the population the way it should be - 2 lanes is not enough for a street like 109th, and not to mention the countless trucks getting stuck every couple of weeks. Rehabbing every couple of decades simply isn’t worth it. The High Level (and Low Level) are more of a liability than an asset at this point. I would gladly welcome a new, modern bridge that serves the city the way it should. There is potential to build something unique and world class, especially since it’s the largest bridge in the city.

... but that would cost money. At least the High Level is being reasonably maintained and I feel has not descended to Low Level eye sore status at least yet. The only thing not rusting in the earlier picture is the historic plaque.

I appreciate the historic significance of the High Level, but while two lanes might have worked in 1960 or 1970, the city has a lot more traffic now. So something bigger and hopefully better will be needed soon.

... but that would cost money. At least the High Level is being reasonably maintained and I feel has not descended to Low Level eye sore status at least yet. The only thing not rusting in the earlier picture is the historic plaque.

I appreciate the historic significance of the High Level, but while two lanes might have worked in 1960 or 1970, the city has a lot more traffic now. So something bigger and hopefully better will be needed soon.
I'd love to see a proper 109th street linking north and south side lanes, bikes, walking, underneath, in fact an emergency route underneath would be great, but the cost, oh man, the cost...

20240618_165205.jpg

Back