News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Yes which was Aaron Paquette’s point—short term solutions while the long term ones are in motion—but it takes years to get even the fastest permanent shelter spaces built from initial planning to funding received to commencing construction to occupancy. When you have a homeless population that doubles within 3 years and a Provincial government that only moves on this portfolio when it absolutely has to, there needs to be interim solutions found and put in motion with haste.

Coun Paquette's office provided me this info today. Council previously discussed this when Coun. Stevenson asked for a report on short term housing alternatives. Council decided not to go the route of workforce trailers. Here is some info from city admin.
Screenshot_20230803-163620_Word.jpg

According to findings of city admin, these trailers are a more expensive of an option than hotels.

What in the absolute F? Those per unit/day costs seem classically public sector solutions.

Do they include counselling, food and uber?

Reactions: TAS
So City administration estimated it will cost $17.9m to run a 140 bed camp for 12 months.

They really have no idea what they’re doing.

Also to put it in perspective: I know a construction company that rented a 54 man camp, plus a 1450 sqft gym, 2100 sq ft dining hall, complete commercial kitchen, all catering (three meals per person per day) and any required housekeeping/maintenance/installation/logistics, all for $2m over two years. And this is at a site sevens hours north of Saskatoon in the middle of nowhere.

Last edited:
While that is unfortunate, the LRT is actually as busy as ever. Ridership is 106% pre-Pandemic levels according to a local media report I saw a few months ago! I am not going to let the fearmongering police chief conflate stupid people deciding to argue with armed fearful humans. Taking transit is STILL AMAZINGLY safer than driving a car in Edmonton.
Saying a lot of things with confidence without sources man. 2023 - 76,500 weekday. 2018 - 113,000 weekday. So just a casual 30% drop…

F5F49169-3A27-434D-98AA-B53906B03EAF.png

Odd though, for the head of ETS continues to say that they are 'back to normal'.

Yes, it was bus service that was back to normal as of Jan 2023.

As an FYI, Edmonton's best year for ETS ridership (lrt + bus) was 2014, the only year we surpassed 89 million riders. By 2019, ridership was down 2.5 million despite expanded lrt and a population increase.

Coincidentally, Edmonton continued to really sprawl during those years and many kms of roads were added and new neighbourhoods outside the Henday built out.

Screenshot_20230803-224640_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20230803-225759_Word.jpg

While that is unfortunate, the LRT is actually as busy as ever. Ridership is 106% pre-Pandemic levels according to a local media report I saw a few months ago! I am not going to let the fearmongering police chief conflate stupid people deciding to argue with armed fearful humans. Taking transit is STILL AMAZINGLY safer than driving a car in Edmonton.
Huh???

If anything I'm curious to see the numbers for 2023 Sep-Nov. 2022 Sep-Nov saw a recovery, especially as COVID was deemed not a thing anymore, but there was still some apprehension and weird work scheduling with GoA employees over the 3 day in, 2 day out hybrid model. I'd still argue that 70% ridership from pre-COVID is still substantial numbers, especially as other transit jurisdictions haven't fully recovered yet.

If anything I'm curious to see the numbers for 2023 Sep-Nov. 2022 Sep-Nov saw a recovery, especially as COVID was deemed not a thing anymore, but there was still some apprehension and weird work scheduling with GoA employees over the 3 day in, 2 day out hybrid model. I'd still argue that 70% ridership from pre-COVID is still substantial numbers, especially as other transit jurisdictions haven't fully recovered yet.
Yeah, 70% isn’t bad at all comparatively. But I think in our context, we know that ours is being hurt by safety more than just office WFH jobs. Whereas Toronto has clearly seen 300k less workers downtown these days, which is heavily tied to offices and WFH. So that’s why their subways and trains have dropped in use. Ours is in the low tens of thousands for office job impacts.

Basically losing the transit battle amid one of the fastest growing cities in the country with significant new investments into LRT.

The SE, W and SLRT expansions should provide much better options for folks, IF they actually have to head to the core AND we make it a much safer system.

Sadly I think when the SE Valley line opens ridership is going to be very anemic. Those that utilize the Bus for similar routes will make the shift but with the state of safety the number of folks shifting from personal vehicle to transit will be a very small.

Back