News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

It seems entirely plausible that fare gates for the high floor system would be a 9-digit cost in today's market.
I read somewhere that Tim Cartmell had an unsolicited quote for $30 million.

Vancouver was $195 million for 53 stations ($3.7 million each).
St. Louis was $45.8 million for 38 stations ($1.2 million each)
BART was $90 million for 50 stations ($1.8 million each).

Of course, those figures are a bit dated, and expect for maybe the Vancouver number, are in USD.
I do think though that a 9 digit cost would extreme for Edmonton, given that not even all of our stations would be able to be set up with fare gates. I do think the $30 million is a bit low however.

I don't know if I already said it in here, but, I feel that that $400 million figure out of Calgary was simply insane. I think to arrive at that figure they included extensive modifications so that even 7th Ave Stations which are essentially part of the side walk, would have fare gates.

In other LRT safety news... with the onset of the cold weather, I was pleasantly surprised how "normal" my trip around the LRT was today. I didn't see anything I like I have in years past on the trains or in the pedways around Central Station. It felt like riding the LRT pre-pandemic.

All downtown stations Plus university and Clareview and possibly Belvedere and Health sciences and Southgate. That would be 10 stations at $2mil each? Century Park would be difficult because of the volume they would probably have to widen the pedway to accommodate the barriers.

All downtown stations Plus university and Clareview and possibly Belvedere and Health sciences and Southgate. That would be 10 stations at $2mil each? Century Park would be difficult because of the volume they would probably have to widen the pedway to accommodate the barriers.
The problem I see with Century Park and Southgate. They seem like they would be easy stations to set up fare gates in, but, when you consider that the pedways are there for non-transit pedestrian use as well, suddenly it becomes a lot more challenging to configure fare gates, short of deciding to exclude pedestrians.

The problem I see with Century Park and Southgate. They seem like they would be easy stations to set up fare gates in, but, when you consider that the pedways are there for non-transit pedestrian use as well, suddenly it becomes a lot more challenging to configure fare gates, short of deciding to exclude pedestrians.
For the casual user for someone is transiting from the transit centre they could use their ARC card and not be charged if they go right through. They could program it to give people time to go through without being charged.

They can install the gates at platform level instead.

In other LRT safety news... with the onset of the cold weather, I was pleasantly surprised how "normal" my trip around the LRT was today. I didn't see anything I like I have in years past on the trains or in the pedways around Central Station. It felt like riding the LRT pre-pandemic.
The City is no longer allowing people to stay in LRT stations overnight when it's cold. When the stations close, people can catch a ride to a shelter or stay on a warming bus as long as they like. That combined with expanded shelter spaces (1700).

They can install the gates at platform level instead.
Obviously you never take the LRT to Century Park otherwise would appreciate the absolute chaos that would result from having gates on the platform. The volume of people that disembark the train at peak hours is such one would need multiple gates to process all the people in a timely fashion.

Obviously you never take the LRT to Century Park otherwise would appreciate the absolute chaos that would result from having gates on the platform. The volume of people that disembark the train at peak hours is such one would need multiple gates to process all the people in a timely fashion.

When was the last time you were at Century Park? I was there on Sunday and I will tell you the building is wide enough for multiple gates.

It's not that much different from the at-grade stations where people are forced to either end of the platform -- would that be 'absolute chaos' as well?

When was the last time you were at Century Park? I was there on Sunday and I will tell you the building is wide enough for multiple gates.

It's not that much different from the at-grade stations where people are forced to either end of the platform -- would that be 'absolute chaos' as well?
This makes sense. I think there will definitely be stations where more than one fare gate will be required. In fact, at several different stations, it would simply be foolish to have only one or two gates for each direction..

Multiple as in about six. Four in one direction depending on the traffic flow. I don’t understand your statement about exciting at the end of platforms. At Century Park you have to climb stair with a narrow door to navigate first. Where on earth the gates would be located I have no idea. The passengers back up trying to gain access as it is. Put in a fare gate and the situation would be untenable.

Probably just the fact that this got announced would increase safety perception by a little bit.

Multiple as in about six. Four in one direction depending on the traffic flow. I don’t understand your statement about exciting at the end of platforms. At Century Park you have to climb stair with a narrow door to navigate first. Where on earth the gates would be located I have no idea. The passengers back up trying to gain access as it is. Put in a fare gate and the situation would be untenable.

You should see other cities with full-fledged subways then - the entire platform gets packed cheek to jowl and they manage. Century Park at its busiest is an order of magnitude less crowded, and will only get less so once the extension south opens.

You must be horrified at Vancouver. Many of their stations don't even have six fare gates.

At the very least having platform level gates avoids situations where the backup occurs on the escalators, since they're usually going up.

Last edited:
Speaking of safety, I think the events today are a wake-up call for ETS to move its control centre out of Churchill.

I wasn't sure where to put this but I thought this matched well with the theme of Safety and specifically the proposition of putting fare gates at certain stations:

How does the city track it's ridership numbers on the LRT? I rarely if every see people pay for tickets, tap their ARC cards and otherwise. I'm one of the only people I know who does it consistently. There is nothing stopping you from simply, walking onto the train. I've never been asked to confirm payment or show my ARC Card.

University students are (I would assume) one of the largest groups of LRT users, and most of them don't tap their cards. When I've used other non-university stations, especially on the Valley Line, I see people just simply walk onto the train, no questions asked.

So I guess my question simply is, how does the city track ridership? If it is by ARC taps and ticket sales, those numbers are going to well below actual numbers.

Back