News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Looks like the city has installed these rails by the vents at Century Park Station to keep people from sleeping there. Consequently, I didn’t see anyone loitering there today.
IMG_1091.jpeg

They need housing. Barrier-free housing, in the sense that sobriety is not required. My brother is as conservative as you can get, is already on team Polievre, but he is a psychiatric nurse who does community outreach and says sober housing is among the biggest barriers to sobriety. Having a warm and safe place to call home as well as nutrition gives them the foundation they need to begin to deal with their mental health issues and substance abuse.

Took the bus and LRT last week for the first time in a while. Was relatively clean and safe, no one loitering at stations. HOWEVER, the LRT entrances/stairs continue to be a huge issue. While there's security in the station and concourses, they can't monitor each stairwell 24/7 and the one I took was full of garbage and people blocking the stairs doing drugs. Very unfortunate given this seems to happen winter and summer.

Why has there not been funding to redo all the downtown stations?

Don’t build an extension to twin brooks imo until you fix what we already have. Our downtown entrances should be pristine, beautiful, safe, and accessible.

Trying to add more riders with extensions while letting the central stations deteriorate is counterproductive.

Why has there not been funding to redo all the downtown stations?

Don’t build an extension to twin brooks imo until you fix what we already have. Our downtown entrances should be pristine, beautiful, safe, and accessible.

Trying to add more riders with extensions while letting the central stations deteriorate is counterproductive.
The Downtown entrances are fine. It's just that people are allowed to loiter and impede risers. I used the Corona entrance at the SW corner of 108 St and Jasper Ave. It has a long corridor to the station, and while no one was hanging out on the stairs, there were people lining the corridor, and since they were around the corner, security would have to talk a walk to see them. Deterioration has nothing to do with it.

And besides, they have been doing work. Central had a lot of work done on the concourse level 10ish years ago. Central or Churchill 5 years ago or so recieved a new platform ceiling and lighting. Most station entrances for Bay and Corona were just concrete boxes, they have over the years had canopies and doors installed at street level (ironically, that makes them warmer and more desirable for people to hangout on the stairs). Escalators have been replaced, elevators refurbished. I don't feel any of these stations are deteriorating and they are receiving investments.

Back