News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.1K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.3K     0 

Could be cost maybe? I'm sure that some of the current Transit Peace Officers could be transferred to that. EPS pushback for reasons, and I'm not sure if the MGA actually allows the city to run a transit police force under its jurisdiction separate from EPS.

On the plus side, it's probably more effective to have an in house force. And the transit safety perception could probably increase a decent margin just based on that.
I believe Calgary and Vancouver both have dedicated transit police? Is Calgary does, I think we should be able to.

I believe Calgary and Vancouver both have dedicated transit police? Is Calgary does, I think we should be able to.
Ooh damn I didn't know Calgary had that. In that case, we should emulate that then. The less powers and responsibilities EPS has on our transit network, replaced by transit police, the better.

Hmm. Interesting. Not how MP Randy talked about it. So is Calgary’s a better system than ours?
It sounds like Calgary's might be slightly better, with having some additional access Edmonton peace officers don't have.
A comparison: https://pub-edmonton.escribemeetings.com/filestream.ashx?DocumentId=146048

Page 14 of this document goes into detail on some of the similarities and differences: https://pub-edmonton.escribemeetings.com/filestream.ashx?DocumentId=41671

Oh the Urbanity posted a video about transit ridership in the 12 largest metro systems on the continent. Putting it into perspective, Edmonton being at 75% of pre-pandemic ridership is pretty on par with other transit systems in Canada (bar Calgary).

Oh the Urbanity posted a video about transit ridership in the 12 largest metro systems on the continent. Putting it into perspective, Edmonton being at 75% of pre-pandemic ridership is pretty on par with other transit systems in Canada (bar Calgary).
We definitely aren’t in a bad spot like some cities. But I still think comparing us to cities that had 5-10x the downtown office workforce is apples to oranges. Students still need transit, hospital workers too, low income people too. That’s our ridership base. But elsewhere those groups make up a smaller percentage historically. Almost all the dip is reflective of office work patterns.

Interesting lil presentation to Council on transit/downtown safety. Perception of safety needs heavy work, but it seems like we're in the right direction at least. At least we get numbers on total ridership by month though!

Screen Shot 2024-06-11 at 9.58.39 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-06-11 at 10.02.22 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-06-11 at 9.59.29 PM.png

Very interesting numbers, but incidents % of total rides is a useless metric, if I see 1 on my ride it's 100%

Wonder if they could provide incidents by location and time frames, as I suspect it's worse at certain times and locations

Overall, in the past month I've seen a very heavy presence of tpos, police, youth out reach etc. BUT they are always busy, doesn't seem to be any less activity...

Then again, that is what I've seen...

Very interesting numbers, but incidents % of total rides is a useless metric, if I see 1 on my ride it's 100%

Wonder if they could provide incidents by location and time frames, as I suspect it's worse at certain times and locations

Overall, in the past month I've seen a very heavy presence of tpos, police, youth out reach etc. BUT they are always busy, doesn't seem to be any less activity...

Then again, that is what I've seen...
Anecdotal experiences are more powerful than people realize. I stopped taking Vancouver Skytrain after repeated incidents over a 6 month period that turned my 1 hour commute into 3 up to a whopping 6 hour commute. I didn't get home until 11pm on the worst of it. 99.9% reliability means little for the people who faced the badly fumbled 0.1%.

I've been taking the LRT once or twice every weekday for the past month, and it's definitely improved in terms of how comfortable I feel on the train and in the stations.
As someone who takes it now on a pretty regular basis, it's much better than 2021-2022. I'm seeing more Transit Peace Officers and more anti-loitering enforcement in some stations. It helps that ridership for all lines seems to be getting busier and busier every month.

Back