News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I didn't disagree. I agreed. And noted that there are still similiar plans afoot today!

I agree that you are contrarian.

I never said some vaguely similar things weren't getting built today (there's always outdated aberrations), I said commie blocks for the huddled masses in ravine settings and devoid of any amenity other than 'nature' were a product of their era and not of the subway. You would know that if you had actually read the thread instead of just skimming for sentence fragments to disagree with (like any sentences beside a certain yellow hexagon).

Last edited:
Don't forget that there are other close-to-the-subway tower clusters which haven't fared as badly--that at High Park, or those near Davisville and Eglinton. (Or, if you want, everything off Yonge south of Bloor.)

"Commie block" is vernacular born from the realm of urban message-boarding, SSC et al. Perhaps deriving from such phenomena as the Ostalgic cult following for East Berlin's Plattenbau (thus "Commie"), it's come to be an affectionate generic term for all Cold War-era freestanding apartment point blocks and slabs, even those in the capitalist world...

You know, I have absolutely no idea what a commie block is. Are we talking political institutions here?

Perhaps you can talk English?

I thought a commie block was a pretty common term, especially on a site like this. I'm sure I've heard the term before UrbanToronto.

I think whoever said you're just contrarian is correct. Making a fuss about a common, accepted term like "commie block" just for the hell of it.

I thought a commie block was a pretty common term, especially on a site like this. I'm sure I've heard the term before UrbanToronto.

I think whoever said you're just contrarian is correct. Making a fuss about a common, accepted term like "commie block" just for the hell of it.
I'm being honest here. The only time I've heard the term "commie block" is as slang for communist block, which refers to a group of nations. I don't think it's a standard term on the transit boards, and I don't hang around the building construction discussions much ... I'm not an erectionist.

"Commie block" is vernacular born from the realm of urban message-boarding, SSC et al. Perhaps deriving from such phenomena as the Ostalgic cult following for East Berlin's Plattenbau (thus "Commie"), it's come to be an affectionate generic term for all Cold War-era freestanding apartment point blocks and slabs, even those in the capitalist world...
There is more than one word in there I've never seen before! Your referring to those non-descript apartment blocks you see in former Communist cities??? Surely there's no parallel to what we've been discussing here ... I thought we were talking about blocks surrounded by grass and parking; that's no my experience in former Communist cities; more like blocks on a grid, with more block, no green, and no parking.

Last edited:
There's probably a parallel w/the vast human warehouses that've marked the galloping growth of post-Mao China as well. But, really: you have to look beyond the grass/parking (or lack thereof) and just look at it all in terms of freestanding Modernist point blocks and slabs a la Le Corbusier, Ludwig Hilberseimer, etc. Which, because the formula was adopted so avidly by post-Stalin Communist regimes (as well as for "social housing" within non-Eastern Bloc jurisdictions--consider the euphemism), have come to be known as "commie blocks"--and believe it or not, they've become trendy cold-war-chic places to live in places like East Berlin.

Personally, I find the term rather winsome in how it's derived entirely from "skyscraper forum" fanboy circles, rather than architectural literature or journalism...

600px-St_James_Town1.jpg

When I hear the term Commie Block, this picture of St. James Town always comes to mind.

It is a very distinct style of building, that was ubiquitous for a few years. Is there a more official architectural term for this style of tower?

I think of buildings more like that blue one. I think balconies are a luxury not provided on most eastern bloc apartments. The ligher coloured style with the metal balconies including metal partitions was common in Canada, I'm not sure how many other countries got that same style. The red brick in the background was a later upgrade with many examples in existence as well.

I think of buildings more like that blue one.

Which, interestingly enough, is technically *not* part of the St James Town ensemble--it's public housing built by the City, not rental housing. And its present blueish cast is a cladding-over of red brick; that is, it's more along the lines of US-style housing projects. (Come to think of it, the US "project" stigma has probably shouted down any metaphorical resonance "commie block" could have down there.)

Meanwhile back at the rapid transit thread................I'm curious why Toronto and the TTC have this problem with interlining. It would work very well if SRT is converted to LRT as it could be used for Sheppard going south {which it should} at Agincord GO to merge at STC. The Malvern LRT could eventually head north and the Sheppard continue east to U. of. T Scar.
It would also work well as a Finch/Sheppard subway. Someday if the stubway gets west to Spadina it could interline with Spadina to Ficnch where it would break off and head to Finch/Jane.
I have always thought the any Eglinton crosstown should head north at the Weston rail line for a couple km where it could continue west via Dixon and then makes it way to Pearson. That area has poor transit considering its large population.
The Weston LRT could continue north to Humber.
Interlining saves money by using the infastructure that is already there, makes for smooth seemless transfers and further reduces construction time. It also has the advantage of being able to split service using the same lines. For example any Pearson going downtown along Dixon could merge with the Humber LRT with every other train going downtown and the other further east along Eglinton eastbound.
In most of the world interlining is very common practice but again some thing that the TTC fails to take advantage of.

To add to the map collection on this thread, here is a map I just made showing what percent of commuters travel to work by public transit each day:

800px-Transit_use_map.png

It's interesting to compare this to the income map. High ridership mostly mostly follows the subway. With the big exception that once an area hits about 40% above average income transit ridership disappears. Areas like Lawrence Park and The Kingsway have great subway access, but not many people take transit. This gives some useful guidance for planning lines. As much as I'd love a subway along Queen to the Beaches, it seems likely not many people would ride it. The same goes for Eglinton West through Etobicoke. The airport connection might be useful, but the ridership generated by the rest of that part of Etobicoke would be minimal. (The people of Princess Gardens are currently the least likely in all Toronto to commute by transit, only 3% of them do)

The reverse is also true. People in poorer areas are more likely to take transit than others. If you look at where the Sheppard gets high numbers, it corresponds almost exactly to the red bits on the income map. Areas like Jane/Finch and parts of York also have more riders than you would expect considering the poor subway access.

Back