News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

What do people think about Tory's transit presser this morning. Or do we still want to talk about DMW and Nunziata ?

Freshcutgrass - how do you feel about Tory's "plum political appointments" re. his staffers - the majority of whom are both Liberals AND Conservatives?

Proof is in the pudding, but it sounds good enough. Just getting parked/stopped cars off the road would be a big win. Getting rid of the taxis/couriers mucking up St. Clair on both sides of Yonge would make that back into an arterial, for example.

These a common sense policies that should have been implemented a long time ago. Good on Tory for being on board.

That said, this is more symbolic than anything. It won't do much to reduce congestion. I'd be surprised if it results in a notable reduction in commute times. The only way to significantly reduce congestion is to get people out of their cars. Frankly, the biggest benefit of this may be making drivers feel a little better about their situation, which is a noble goal in itself.

Screen Shot 2014-12-05 at 9.07.03 AM.png

Bwahahahahaha- a City By-Law Enforcement vehicle.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-12-05 at 9.07.03 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-12-05 at 9.07.03 AM.png
    184.1 KB · Views: 586
pud99:

The one for the old city is equally interesting - I was a bit surprised by the degree of the decline in low-income population. But anyways Scarborough has some major structural issues to contend with (though I would like to see a chart that just looks at 15-64 instead of just 15+).

AoD

Last edited:
pud99:

The one for the old city is equally interesting - I was a bit surprised by the degree of the decline in low-income population. But anyways Scarborough has some major structural issues to contend with (though I would like to see a chart that just looks at 15-64 instead of just 15+).

AoD

Screen Shot 2014-12-05 at 9.28.09 AM.png

There are from the Twitter account of U of T Prof. David Hulchanski. You might contact him about possibly running versions that filter out 65+ (which I assume could be done given that the underlying source is StatsCanada data). @Hulchanksi on Twitter or http://www.neighbourhoodchange.ca.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-12-05 at 9.28.09 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-12-05 at 9.28.09 AM.png
    234.9 KB · Views: 563
Last edited:
If I had been in Toronto at the time of the last election I would have voted for Tory, or if he had too much the stench of oblivious rich-kid Romneyism about him, maybe Morgan Baskin, because that kid was brave and sincere.

I am sure she was / is. But, after reading this,
http://www.morganbaskin.ca/so_what_s_next

as one of 67 mayoral candidates, I'm not certain she would be my first pick for command during a State of Emergency.

I think we got it right, this time, by electing John Tory.

My confidence in public safety would increase if we returned to having our most senior political figure in the city elected by the members of Council.

Last edited:
1fZstNqgucZc4AAAAASUVORK5CYII=
reporterdonpeat
Executive committee makes Deputy Mayor Denzil Minnan-Wong the chair of the employee and labour relations committee #TOpoli
14-12-05 9:49 AM

For what it's worth, I took this test on the Star website last week that concluded I was Heritage Right. I consider myself center-left, I've spent the last five years here offended by the very idea of idiot criminal Rob Ford as Mayor, so this shocked me.
It said I was Heritage Right as well. The survey is:
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2014/11/29/what_kind_of_torontonian_are_you.html

I'm not sure it's working properly ..., or it's not analyzing the rational behind the response to some of the questions.

For example:
Ideology - Propositions used in the calculation of this index:

You slightly agree that the effects of climate change are exaggerated.
You slightly disagree that the next generation will be much worse off because of our treatment of the environment.
You somewhat agree that human beings are largely responsible for global warming
- See more at: http://sentimeter.thestar.com/#/results/9fcc15d0-1cb0-4fff-90d0-e1f8d2a5115c

Do I believe in Global Warming. Yes. Do I think we've got our heads our our asses? Yes. Should we do something? Yes. Is it going to get worse? Yes.

However, I do slightly agree that the effects are exaggerated. I don't think the next generation (generation being only 20 years) will be Much worse off. And I only somwhat agree that human being are largely responsible for global warming. Global warming has been going on for 20,000 years. While we are certainly very responsible for the recent acceleration, we certainly aren't largely responsible that has been going strong for 20,000 years!

Hmm, looks like I got messed up on a double negative .. "You strongly disagree that women who dress provocatively are not at all responsible for any unwanted attention they receive" ... oops, got that backwards!

Going through the other categories, the only other one that I'm anywhere close to Heritage Right is on Unions:

Propositions used in the calculation of this index:

You slightly disagree that unions are as necessary now as they were a century ago.
You somewhat disagree that the selfishness of employers can be fought only by strong unions.
You slightly agree that unions too often protect members who should rightfully be fired.

I think unions are necessary. I think they should be strong. But by slightly agreeing that they are as not as necessary as they were a century ago (before we had much in the way of labour laws), and that employers can Only be fought by strong unions (the very existence of a court system and labour laws means everyone should disagree with that one) puts me right on Heritage Right? Fail.

Edit - went through again, changing that response on dressing provocatively from strongly disagree to strongly agree, and I'm still Hertitage Right. I think it's simply broken. Though it does say I'm least like steadfast right ...

Last edited:
There are from the Twitter account of U of T Prof. David Hulchanski. You might contact him about possibly running versions that filter out 65+ (which I assume could be done given that the underlying source is StatsCanada data). @Hulchanksi on Twitter or http://www.neighbourhoodchange.ca.

Yes, I am familiar with his work - I'd be very interesting to see the age breakdown and detailed age/income correlations as well.

AoD

I took that test and got "Laissez-faire Left," which I don't think is accurate, as I lean conservative on some issues.

Jennifer Pagliaro ‏@jpags 9m9 minutes ago
Tory, speaking at ceremony, says proud first proclamation as mayor is for national day of violence against women

Someone needs to amend this Tweet! :eek:

I am also "Laissez-Faire Left". Which is not shocking but interesting particularly as it suggests what does right and left even mean today?

For instance I acknowledge and care about climate change and income inequality; however, I am OK with privatization of government services and am pro-business. I would self-identify as centre-right and see Tory as a natural ally even though we may disagree on individual issues. I do not see Ford or Steven Harper as allies but the only party I would never vote for is the NDP.

I consider myself centre-left and usually vote Liberal. The survey said I'm a "social democratic left" which I'd say is a pretty close match. However during elections I'm usually more interested in transit, cycling and city building initiatives than social issues, so someone like Miller is more appealing to me than Olivia Chow. Maybe when Tory is ready to stop being right wing, I might consider supporting him next time.

Perhaps heritage right refers to moderate conservatives of the past, rather than Nazi fetishists, such as Bill Davis and Joe Clark?

The description for heritage right (and other ideologies) can be found here.

Back