News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

To be fair most of what Rob Ford was accused of was only ever manifested as headlines for the star, the reason Tory acted on Friday was because the star was going to publish. The Star's behaviour during Ford's reign was why I don't take the star seriously anymore - it reached the level of harassment. Let's remind ourselves that the star gave itself an award for journalism and the "reporters" wrote books about it. I don't think John Tory should resign even if that was his first instinct. For myself I have had more than one kick-in-the-head moments over the past 3 years, things I never thought would happen, happened.
Tory may not be perfect but he has the energy and willingness to be mayor, at the end of the day I would rather acquiese to his family about continuing as mayor, they are the ones who have suffered the most.

The Star’s behaviour?!? You’re blaming the Star for the chaotic four years of Ford’s mayoralty?

To be fair most of what Rob Ford was accused of was only ever manifested as headlines for the star, the reason Tory acted on Friday was because the star was going to publish.
To be fair - this is absolutely false. It was headlines in many papers. And the lead story on many news and radio broadcasts - none of which were related to the Star.

Why are you trying to retcon what happened?

Some of the best headlines, weren't even from the Star! It's hard to beat this one from the National Post:

And the Star never approached the level of the Sun:

1676440215301.png

Looking at this Vancouver Sun headline, perhaps the PostMedia papers were a huge part of it:

To be fair most of what Rob Ford was accused of was only ever manifested as headlines for the star, the reason Tory acted on Friday was because the star was going to publish. The Star's behaviour during Ford's reign was why I don't take the star seriously anymore - it reached the level of harassment. Let's remind ourselves that the star gave itself an award for journalism and the "reporters" wrote books about it. I don't think John Tory should resign even if that was his first instinct. For myself I have had more than one kick-in-the-head moments over the past 3 years, things I never thought would happen, happened.
Tory may not be perfect but he has the energy and willingness to be mayor, at the end of the day I would rather acquiese to his family about continuing as mayor, they are the ones who have suffered the most.
Trump and Musk claimed the same thing about the media too...so I guess this opinion is in *good* company...

...or perhaps if these..er, leaders didn't act like unfettered trolls most of the time to put it mildly, they wouldn't get so much bothersome media attention. Who would of thought!

Last edited:
Every news outlet running either last night or this morning with the "maybe he won't resign after all" story. Obviously he's been advised to put out feelers about staying in power. I suspect this is because the back-room Conservatives are certain the City will elect a left wing mayor and they don't have an electable candidate to run.

You seriously think that Rob Ford's 'antics' were invented by the Star? Frankly, that tends to make one question your judgement.

You seriously think that Rob Ford's 'antics' were invented by the Star? Frankly, that tends to make one question your judgement.
Not what I said - the star had all sorts of headlines about what he had done but he was never charged for anything - that is a fact. No driving errors, no drug convictions, no assaults -nada, nowt,nothing. So tell me what the Star was reporting on? They gave themselves awards for their reporting but none of it held up in court.
Don't worry your pretty little head about my judgement sweetheart!

I remember the headlines. Now tell me what he was convicted of? I was not a Ford supporter but the truth is he was never convicted in a court of law of anything. Headlines are not convictions. Tory said when he was first elected that there needed to be mechanisms in place because apart from criminal convictions there was no way to hold an out-of-control mayor accountable. No recall under our city guidelines. He said he wanted to put them in place, he hasn't. Ford's powers were curtailed by the council but there was nothing anyone could do to remove him. That is still the case today. The only person removed from council in recent memory was that Scarborough guy. If Tory had been embezzling funds for years there would still be no way to remove him.
To be fair - this is absolutely false. It was headlines in many papers. And the lead story on many news and radio broadcasts - none of which were related to the Star.

Why are you trying to retcon what happened?

Some of the best headlines, weren't even from the Star! It's hard to beat this one from the National Post:

And the Star never approached the level of the Sun:

View attachment 456417

Looking at this Vancouver Sun headline, perhaps the PostMedia papers were a huge part of it:

Not what I said - the star had all sorts of headlines about what he had done but he was never charged for anything - that is a fact. No driving errors, no drug convictions, no assaults -nada, nowt,nothing. So tell me what the Star was reporting on? They gave themselves awards for their reporting but none of it held up in court.
Don't worry your pretty little head about my judgement sweetheart!

The public doesn't need convictions to judge the character of public officials. If you want to be fair, you can tell me with a straight face that his behaviour - including association with a bunch of gangbangers - is becoming of a mayor. I mean, you did spend a lot of time b*tching about crime and all that - and lest I remind you a lot of those hadn't been convicted either.

AoD

Last edited:
So Freeland's office denied that she asked Tory to stay. It did seem like a strange thing for her to get involved in. Who is making this stuff up?

Tory was at the Raptor's game last night. You would think he would stay as far from the public eye as possible at this point. I really don't think he's going to resign.

The public doesn't need convictions to judge the character of public officials. If you want to be fair, you can tell me with a straight face that his behaviour - including association with a bunch of gangbangers - is becoming of a mayor.

AoD
You only know he associated with gangbangers because the Toronto Star told you so. Nothing was ever proven in a court of law, which was the only way to remove the elected mayor of Toronto. If you like the idea of making judgements based on hearsay that is up to you. The Star is not the moral watchman of Toronto. If they have evidence of a crime then pursue it thru the proper channels, headlines are not proof. They never did that. They wrote stories, went on tv, wrote books, gave themselves awards for investigative journalism but never proved anything. Ford was a joke, an embarrassment and there was no way he would have been removed from his seat by newspaper headlines. That is not how the council works. And it is the same today. Even if Tory had done something criminal he could remain Mayor until convicted.

You only know he associated with gangbangers because the Toronto Star told you so. Nothing was ever proven in a court of law, which was the only way to remove the elected mayor of Toronto. If you like the idea of making judgements based on hearsay that is up to you. The Star is not the moral watchman of Toronto. If they have evidence of a crime then pursue it thru the proper channels, headlines are not proof. They never did that. They wrote stories, went on tv, wrote books, gave themselves awards for investigative journalism but never proved anything. Ford was a joke, an embarrassment and there was no way he would have been removed from his seat by newspaper headlines. That is not how the council works. And it is the same today. Even if Tory had done something criminal he could remain Mayor until convicted.

I don't see you avoiding making up summary judgments on individuals committing supposedly criminal (but unproven) actions in the various postings you've made on this forum. So please don''t act all regal about how you're about "the court of law".

And I think I have eyes - I can see the actual photos and videos of his action. Unless you want to tell me that somehow your interpretation of these tangibles are superior to my ability to judge character?

In any event, what does it have to do with John Tory? The latter said in front of the camera that he is going to resign; to not do so now would be a big hit on his credibility, but then again, these are debased times.

AoD

Last edited:
this is a public forum - I'm here because I can be. I don't need your permission to have an opinion or to express it.
You do you. I was more bemused by your answering your own questions. Do you have any questions for the rest of us?
I really don't think he's going to resign.
I'm beginning to agree with you. My source within Rogers senior mgmt. tells me that Tory resigned in order to get back with his wife, nothing more. But if the wife turns him down, he might think, screw it, I'm staying as mayor - and maybe I'll call up my former side piece for a redeux.

There was video.

'nuff said.

Back