News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Gord Perks says a few good things, but has generally spent his career against letting more people live in neighbourhoods like Parkdale and High Park, which have been emptying out over the last 50 years.

Once in a while he can really hit it out of the park on the council floor, but he’s also a vindictive smart ass, and yes, horrible on things like Parkside Drive/High Park or intensification of his ward.

So Ainslie, Crawford, Fletcher, and Thompson voted with Holyday to prioritize funds away from transportation safety and towards special leaf collection for some very special homeowners?

Unbelievable. These councillors act openly hostile to the public interest and safety in favour of a special service for the few and expect to not be seen as petty villains? Disgraceful. How could this possibly be justified? Can a journalist get a mic in front of them and press them on this because I cannot conceive of what their justification would be.

I'm sorry it has ended like this. Hopefully Mr Tory and his family can heal from this and live a contented and peaceful life out of the limelight. He has been a good mayor and enacted some meaningfull changes to the city.

He has been a good mayor and enacted some meaningfull changes to the city.
Changes like cutting service standards for transit, increasing the number of homeless, and clearing the homeless out of parks, onto the TTC.

My only consolation to Mr. Tory is that I hope the door doesn't hit in the ass on the way out...
Perhaps someone else will hit him in the ass on the way out.

1676521632364.png

I'm sorry it has ended like this. Hopefully Mr Tory and his family can heal from this and live a contented and peaceful life out of the limelight.
l agree with you there.

He has been a good mayor and enacted some meaningfull changes to the city.
He did? Not trying to be condesending but please name us a couple beneficial things he's done for the city in the past 8+ years.

l agree with you there.

He did? Not trying to be condesending but please name us a couple beneficial things he's done for the city in the past 8+ years.
Better co-ordinating service reconstructions for one, no more multiple dig sites for the same road. He also got money for social housing from the feds. Vacant home tax finally. Reinforced the need for deputy mayor role, especially with only 25 councillors for Canada's biggest city.

Changes like cutting service standards for transit, increasing the number of homeless, and clearing the homeless out of parks, onto the TTC.

Perhaps someone else will hit him in the ass on the way out.

View attachment 456667
Homelessness has increased everywhere, even in China. Competency is very boring and usually goes unnoticed. As for transit, it is a service in flux we don't know what the new normal will be for service requirements. Pitching a tent in a public park is not a solution - if you have reached that stage it is not society's fault. It's funny everyone on here harking back to the bad old day of Rob Ford and no one giving Tory credit for having the energy and intelligence to do the job for nearly 9 years.

Better co-ordinating service reconstructions for one, no more multiple dig sites for the same road. He also got money for social housing from the feds. Vacant home tax finally. Reinforced the need for deputy mayor role, especially with only 25 councillors for Canada's biggest city.

You're definitely reaching to manufacture credit for him on some of those things.

With John Tory gone let's hope the discussion turns to what is happening in Toronto and how to make life better for all residents, this finger wagging titillation is tiresome.

Better co-ordinating service reconstructions for one
That just isnt the case whatsoever, I can list you dozens and dozens of projects where co-ordination where was/is non-existent. Heck there's cases the city didnt even know where certain construction projects were happening in conjunction with another.

He also got money for social housing from the feds
He had no choice (as evidenced by the budget just passed today) because time and time again he spearheaded budgets that did not balance and legally the city isnt allowed to run deficit budgets. Not even taking about how he basically didnt do nothing about the issue himself.

Vacant home tax finally
Took him 8 years, but congrats that he finally introduced another revenue source.

Reinforced the need for deputy mayor role, especially with only 25 councillors for Canada's biggest city.
I dont know what this means, because Toronto has had deputy mayor's for years and years. Unless you're talking about his last term where he had 4 deputies for whatever idiotic reason. Just imagine if we had 4 deputies right now what would've happened.

In summary, if that's the summary of what he's done for 8 years than it just speaks to how much of an ineffective status quo mayor he was because there's nothing of substance that he accomplished and the quality of life in the city has degraded significantly.

Homelessness has increased everywhere, even in China. Competency is very boring and usually goes unnoticed. As for transit, it is a service in flux we don't know what the new normal will be for service requirements. Pitching a tent in a public park is not a solution - if you have reached that stage it is not society's fault. It's funny everyone on here harking back to the bad old day of Rob Ford and no one giving Tory credit for having the energy and intelligence to do the job for nearly 9 years.
Show me something that says homelessness had increased in China in 2018. This isn't just a post-pandemic situation. Seems to me, anecdotally, that homeless on the street and in parks wasn't as bad in the late 2000s than early 2000s, but has slowly been on the rise since about 2012. It all but vanished in 2020 and into 2021 - which shows that if we throw enough money at it, we can greatly reduce it by providing free housing to those that have no other choice.

And yes, it most certainly is society's fault.

If the best you can say about Tory is that he did better than Ford, then insult him even more than I am!

Toronto has had deputy mayor's for years and years. Unless you're talking about his last term where he had 4 deputies for whatever idiotic reason. Just imagine if we had 4 deputies right now what would've happened.
Even when Tory had 4 deputies, as I understand it only Denzil Minnan-Wong was the official deputy and the others were for show. So the post-resignation duties would have fallen to Minnan-Wong.

I'm sorry it has ended like this. Hopefully Mr Tory and his family can heal from this and live a contented and peaceful life out of the limelight. He has been a good mayor and enacted some meaningfull changes to the city.
Care to list these meaningful changes? I'm very curious because I'm coming up empty handed.

EDIT: Nevermind. I see that others have already rightfully exposed your paper-thin argument.

Last edited:

Back