News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Downtown still has a lot of commercial buildings without loading docks--or outdated loading docks that can't handle modern volumes of deliveries. The entrances to buildings aren't always open in the back laneway. Side streets are often useless if there are no designated spaces for delivery trucks.

Streets are for people, including the working man who delivers packages and businesses that need quick and affordable deliveries. Perhaps Ford understood that because his blue-collar base of voters probably included courier drivers. It's often just smart to park in front of the main entrance if you're in the delivery business.

As long as we are all clear that it will take longer and cost more. i did courier work in downtown T.O. for a few months. I needed to do thirty packages per day to make my expenses. I wouldn't even try now.

Right... so lets inconvenience the entire city because a courier cannot walk a little bit more during the day. Considering that most buildings in the core get more than 30 parcels/packages per day, I doubt it would be an issue for any couriers in the downtown core where this initiative is taking place.

I presume the more astute couriers use downtown "depots" and have bikers/walkers take all but the most unmanageable stuff to their destinations....

Laziness, indifference, and disrespect, that's what I see from those who park in places that impede other drivers, etc. It's also illegal to park, stand, or idle on a sidewalk or crosswalk, and impede "pedestrians"? This is a peeve of mine because of the obstacles to those with assistive devices.

Ford lacked the balls to do anything lest he become part of the war on the car and alienate a good deal of the drones who voted for him or Dougie.

Tory has at least come good on this task, for the moment anyway. Let us not forget the nixing of the vehicle reg. duty early on in Ford's term. I would prefer to be pragmatic, there is still almost four years to go.

Downtown still has a lot of commercial buildings without loading docks--or outdated loading docks that can't handle modern volumes of deliveries. The entrances to buildings aren't always open in the back laneway. Side streets are often useless if there are no designated spaces for delivery trucks.

Streets are for people, including the working man who delivers packages and businesses that need quick and affordable deliveries. Perhaps Ford understood that because his blue-collar base of voters probably included courier drivers. It's often just smart to park in front of the main entrance if you're in the delivery business.

Ford might have understood something about doing business but he did little more about congestion than painting a curb red.

I don't buy this line of reasoning that it's somehow unfair to expect businesses to obey the law and not flout it for convenience.

I've done deliveries downtown, I never knowingly parked illegally. Either stopped in delivery docks or side streets. Note that there is a difference between no parking and no stopping, the former does make room for quick deliveries.

The only exception is that I did stop in no standing zones, since at the time I thought it was for pedestrians. Fortunately I never got a ticket.

I've done deliveries downtown, I never knowingly parked illegally. Either stopped in delivery docks or side streets. Note that there is a difference between no parking and no stopping, the former does make room for quick deliveries.

The only exception is that I did stop in no standing zones, since at the time I thought it was for pedestrians. Fortunately I never got a ticket.

Wow! You must have charged an arm and a leg for deliveries/gone out of business/killed small businesses/not delivered any more than 30 packages per day/delivered everything late since you had to actually follow the law!

/End sarcasm

Thanks for being a reasonable delivery guy :)

I've contributed to two different reports on downtown deliveries. It's a complicated issue, but all I want to do right now is toss in a fun fact!

Did you know...
Many delivery companies explicitly disallow their drivers from reversing their vehicles? This renders the loading docks located at several office buildings unusable to these firms!

I've heard they're also only allowed to make right hand turns because it's faster than waiting for a left.

Listen, the delivery companies are going to have to figure this one out, but parking illegally in no standing zones at rush hour is no longer an option. And it never should have been.

I've heard they're also only allowed to make right hand turns because it's faster than waiting for a left.

Listen, the delivery companies are going to have to figure this one out, but parking illegally in no standing zones at rush hour is no longer an option. And it never should have been.

Yes, I think it's UPS specifically doesn't allow left turns. I haven't heard of anyone not being allowed to reverse though.

Canada Post has said that they will be changing their delivery times.

On Jan 12, Canada Post will implement later pick-up times for street letter boxes on major arteries in the designated area.

“We also understand that our own delivery vehicles contribute to traffic congestion,†Canada Post said in a media release.

“To help reduce traffic congestion and gridlock in the downtown core, we recognize that changes to operating procedures must be made by everyone who serves the downtown core.â€

http://globalnews.ca/news/1754977/canada-post-changes-delivery-operations-in-downtown-toronto/

Did you know...
Many delivery companies explicitly disallow their drivers from reversing their vehicles? This renders the loading docks located at several office buildings unusable to these firms!

That might be a company policy that needs to change. Or, perhaps they could stop accepting orders to those addresses and let a competent courier handle them.

If Canada Post can make adjustments I'm sure other more nimble couriers can as well.

Back