News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

4tqdr8.jpg

Fun and all, isn't this "spectrum" discussion off-topic?

(Oh yeah, it's Mayor John Tory...zzzzzzzzz)

By the way thanks Pud99 for posting those graphics of income changes in Toronto and select Toronto areas. Actually, I feel if you want to know what is really going on in this city, how it reflects in our politics and what we need to work towards in the future all we really need to look at for an overview is those simple graphics.

That is why I feel Tory and the agenda of the inner part of the suburbs, the kind of middle ring of Toronto, is where the focus of Toronto is politically now and should be. The trends you see in the city today will continue or even accelerate. The central city will shift towards being near majority high income with very few low income people left. The outer suburbs are essentially lost and will become virtually entirely low income no matter what we do to intervene. We need to shore up the middle ring of the city and provide more transit and amenities to try to spread inner city prosperity outward from the core (a weird thing to say considering this middle ring already contains some of the richest areas of the city in select regions West and East of the Yonge spine).

Probably if it goes on, but it's not like the Ford thread didn't venture into far more tangential discussions. I first mentioned it in response to hawc's criticism that this forum is full of extreme lefties. Such dismissive nonsense seeks to undermine everyone's opinion here. What tests like this might show is how malleable the spectrum may be for many, how fuzzy any categorization might be. We move around depending on the issue, depending on how it impacts ourselves, depending on our age and social circle, depending on how close a concern is to our own experiences.

That is why I feel Tory and the agenda of the inner part of the suburbs, the kind of middle ring of Toronto, is where the focus of Toronto is politically now and should be. The trends you see in the city today will continue or even accelerate. The central city will shift towards being near majority high income with very few low income people left. The outer suburbs are essentially lost and will become virtually entirely low income no matter what we do to intervene. We need to shore up the middle ring of the city and provide more transit and amenities to try to spread inner city prosperity outward from the core (a weird thing to say considering this middle ring already contains some of the richest areas of the city in select regions West and East of the Yonge spine).

The residential low-rise areas there sure. I remember door-knocking during the election campaign in the parts north of Lawrence Collegiate and even I was surprised at how many streets filled with wealthy and ginormous houses and front lawns there are, and I grew up in the relatively well-off Davisville neighborhood. For the life of me, I don't know why anyone with money would want to live there, so far away from all amenities and absolutely nothing in walking range. Freedom? More like a car-dependent prison to me.

When my generation is of home-buying age, I wouldn't be surprised if those feelings towards the suburban lifestyle did culminate in fulfilling your prophecy, of the outer suburbs remaining forever low-income.

That all being said, this area of the city like other parts is still demographically diverse, you have a lot of post-war apartment-block buildings (like the one I grew up in) where more lower-middle class and recent immigrants live, and newer condominiums where you will find that condo-dweller type of demographics too.

Probably if it goes on, but it's not like the Ford thread didn't venture into far more tangential discussions. I first mentioned it in response to hawc's criticism that this forum is full of extreme lefties. Such dismissive nonsense seeks to undermine everyone's opinion here. What tests like this might show is how malleable the spectrum may be for many, how fuzzy any categorization might be. We move around depending on the issue, depending on how it impacts ourselves, depending on our age and social circle, depending on how close a concern is to our own experiences.

Yep, when we label we lessen the substance of topic.

John Tory's gridlock strategy is a good start, but implementing it may not be as simple as Tory makes it out to be. A number of possible solutions also seem to be notably absent from the plan, such as transit priority signals, eliminating parking on main roads, and towing vehicles out of bikelanes. Steve Munro provides a reality check: http://stevemunro.ca/?p=10470

P.S, what happened with the Downtown Transportation Operations Study?

https://twitter.com/annhui/status/541784618954158081

Mayor John Tory to make King streetcar announcement tomorrow w/ TTC chair Josh Colle and CEO Andy Byford at 10 a.m.

Speculation? Could just be about new streetcars, or it could be something more worthwhile like rear-boarding?

Not holding my breath for an actual solution, such as peak hour transit corridor or even just dedicated lanes, but whatever it is, at least it is something to look forward to tomorrow morning.

Last edited:

Back