News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Okay... I'll give him 5 more minutes...

Will taxi service be a part of the Metrolinx plan?
airplane_movie.gif

We are still getting complaints from the taxi people about dropping people off at the airport and having to return empty. The YYZ terminals are in Peel Region, and under a different jurisdiction for taxis than Toronto.

A Toronto taxi cannot "legally" pick up someone at the airport. And while a Peel taxi can pick up someone at the airport, they cannot "legally" pick up someone in Toronto. They both have to return empty, and wasting gasoline.

However, there are "special" airport taxis can pick up at the airport and in the city. But who is who, and does the traveling public really care who is who?

Is it time that the taxi industry in the GTA be put under the Metrolinx umbrella?

Will taxi service be a part of the Metrolinx plan?
airplane_movie.gif

We are still getting complaints from the taxi people about dropping people off at the airport and having to return empty. The YYZ terminals are in Peel Region, and under a different jurisdiction for taxis than Toronto.

A Toronto taxi cannot "legally" pick up someone at the airport. And while a Peel taxi can pick up someone at the airport, they cannot "legally" pick up someone in Toronto. They both have to return empty, and wasting gasoline.

However, there are "special" airport taxis can pick up at the airport and in the city. But who is who, and does the traveling public really care who is who?

Is it time that the taxi industry in the GTA be put under the Metrolinx umbrella?

Yeah, this taxi stupidity should be eliminated.

Btw, apparently a taxi registered in Toronto can pick up at the airport, if it waits in the pre-arranged pickup area, and approaches the terminal stand after the customer calls in. What that taxi can't do is line up together with the Peel taxis and Airport limos. Anyway, that limitation discorages enough taxis coming from Toronto, and sends them back empty.

Yeah, this taxi stupidity should be eliminated.

Btw, apparently a taxi registered in Toronto can pick up at the airport, if it waits in the pre-arranged pickup area, and approaches the terminal stand after the customer calls in. What that taxi can't do is line up together with the Peel taxis and Airport limos. Anyway, that limitation discorages enough taxis coming from Toronto, and sends them back empty.

Another reason to transform Metrolinx into a TfL type of outfit so that it can handle idiocy like this.

I also think there should be a unified body that oversees transit going to the city, like the TfL. Not just transit that is in the city (wholly). The best image I can think of this ridiculousness is someone walking a km so they don't have to pay two fares going across the border at Steeles into 905-land.

The best image I can think of this ridiculousness is someone walking a km so they don't have to pay two fares going across the border at Steeles into 905-land.
We get the same silliness within Toronto. I've walked a kilometre a few times to the subway ignoring the buses passing me, because I needed to get some cash at the bank right next to the subway station to buy tokens at the subway station (had one token already). In any other city, I'd have gotten off at the subway station, walked next door to the bank, and then used my transfer to enter the subway station. Even more frequently I get off the subway at Woodbine, walk into the grocery store that is attached to the station for a couple of minutes, and then have to walk 1 km home rather than catch the bus that is still sitting right there.

We get the same silliness within Toronto. I've walked a kilometre a few times to the subway ignoring the buses passing me, because I needed to get some cash at the bank right next to the subway station to buy tokens at the subway station (had one token already). In any other city, I'd have gotten off at the subway station, walked next door to the bank, and then used my transfer to enter the subway station. Even more frequently I get off the subway at Woodbine, walk into the grocery store that is attached to the station for a couple of minutes, and then have to walk 1 km home rather than catch the bus that is still sitting right there.

The time-based transfers on St. Clair are fantastic. I can stop at Loblaws or Shoppers on the way home and not have to pay a second fare. It's disappointing (but understandable) that the TTC has not expanded the program.

The time-based transfers on St. Clair are fantastic. I can stop at Loblaws or Shoppers on the way home and not have to pay a second fare. It's disappointing (but understandable) that the TTC has not expanded the program.

Time-based transfers are great. We've had them in Mississauga for years now.

I think the whole GTA has had time-based transfers for years now. The TTC is really behind the times.

Top 15 Priorities

• VIVA Highway 7 and Yonge Street through York Region
• Brampton’s Queen Street Acceleride
• Spadina subway extension to Vaughan Corporate Centre
• Yonge subway extension to Richmond Hill and capacity improvements
• Eglinton rapid transit from Pearson Airport to Scarborough Centre
• Upgrade and extension of the Scarborough Rapid Transit line
• Finch/Sheppard rapid transit from Pearson Airport to Scarborough Centre and Meadowvale
• Express Rail on the Lakeshore Line from Hamilton to Oshawa
• Rapid transit in downtown Hamilton from McMaster University to Centennial Parkway
• Hurontario rapid transit from Port Credit to Downtown Brampton
• 403 Transitway from Mississauga City Centre to the Renforth Gateway
• Rail link between Union Station and Pearson Airport
• Rapid transit service along Highway 2 in Durham
• Improvements to existing GO rail services and extension of GO rail service to Bowmanville
• Early phases of BRT service on Dundas Street in Halton and Peel

Stay tuned for coverage of the media event and in-depth analysis from my perspective as a member of the RTP advisory committee...

Back