News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

The good news is that the parts with no relation to Transit City will cause the worst aspects of Transit City to overload. For example number 36, BRT from Oshawa, Ajax, and Pickering dumping passengers at Scarborough Centre. With that the number 34 branch from Don Mills to SCC will be far more used than the 34 branch along Sheppard (especially beyond Progress which is just the back fence of detached homes), and the SRT replacement between SCC and Kennedy will be filled causing transfer chaos at Kennedy.

The weakest points of the Metrolinx plan are the weakest points of the Transit City plan. Poor east-west connectivity at North York Centre and an incoherent plan at Scarborough City Centre. Funny that the 25 year plan is shaped like a dollar sign in Scarborough... perhaps an omen of the money that will be wasted there because of poor planning.

The weakest points of the Metrolinx plan are the weakest points of the Transit City plan. Poor east-west connectivity at North York Centre and an incoherent plan at Scarborough City Centre.
That's my immediate reaction as well. There is a lot of good stuff in there, but most of it was in MoveOntario, and this plan utterly fails to provide a decent crosstown alternative for long distance travel. Okay, we've accepted (I guess) the TTC's position that Eglinton is not a long distance route. So where is the long distance east-west route?

Extend the Scarborough RT from Malvern to the airport, WTF?? I can't even begin to detail what's wrong with that idea. Their plan to use STC as a major hub while serving it with only the SRT must have come from TTC's idiotic brain trust.

Extend the Scarborough RT from Malvern to the airport, WTF?? I can't even begin to detail what's wrong with that idea. Their plan to use STC as a major hub while serving it with only the SRT must have come from TTC's idiotic brain trust.
I'm not so sure that they are settled on Eglinton yet. It looks like while they have accepted not to build a subway there, everything else is up in the air. Here's the relevant text:
A new rapid transit line along Eglinton Avenue in Toronto will provide rapid transit service for local residents as well as a crucial new east-west corridor for regional travellers. By connecting to an upgraded and extended Scarborough Rapid Transit (SRT) line, which is also part of the first 15 years of the Plan, the opportunity exists to create a new continuous service, without transfer, from the east end of Scarborough to the Pearson Airport district. The Benefits Case Analysis will consider both fully and partially grade-separated technologies for this corridor, and will assess the termination of the SRT line at Sheppard or at Malvern
I read this as: we'd like to connect the two, possibly via ALRT or possibly via LRT. Details are still being discussed.

I wonder if Toronto has basically agreed to do something other than a TC-style LRT in exchange for dropping the subway idea?

That's my immediate reaction as well. There is a lot of good stuff in there, but most of it was in MoveOntario, and this plan utterly fails to provide a decent crosstown alternative for long distance travel. Okay, we've accepted (I guess) the TTC's position that Eglinton is not a long distance route. So where is the long distance east-west route?

That would be the crosstown Go line, number 1, 12 and 13 on the map. If this route becomes an all day 2-way line (at least out to near STC) then I would agree that Eglinton does not need to be designed for end to end travel. Trains on this line might also be able to provide service direct to the airport

The lakeshore go line(electrified), BD subway and the 407 transit-way could also be considered long distance E-W routes

25 year plan
25years.jpg

vs Metrolinx Concept C / Web :)

metrolinxconceptc.JPG

That would be the crosstown Go line, number 1, 12 and 13 on the map. If this route becomes an all day 2-way line (at least out to near STC) then I would agree that Eglinton does not need to be designed for end to end travel. Trains on this line might also be able to provide service direct to the airport

The lakeshore go line(electrified), BD subway and the 407 transit-way could also be considered long distance E-W routes

The crosstown GO line is number 7 on the map, Crosstown Dundas West - Summerhill Station. 12 is a Havelock Locust Hill (Markham) - Union Station, and 13 is Seaton Seaton - Union Station on the map. The font makes the 7 look like a 1.

That's why it is a draft, to correct or make the final report more clear.

Hello everyone - Andrae Griffith from the Metrolinx RTP Advisory Committee here...

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who kept the discussion alive in the regional transportation plan consultation process, and I encourage you all to continue offering comment to make this plan the best it can be. There is are plenty of opportunities to do so in addition to the more formal town halls and online portals, so keep your eyes and ears open for more details.

Here is a rundown of what was released today. Please keep in mind that the Metrolinx board has not yet approved this draft, so there may be some modifications in the coming weeks.

The plan can be summed up in "Eight Big Moves" - bold steps to transform the way we move around the GTHA.

A fast, frequent and expanded regional rapid transit network
I'll outline below what transit projects are being proposed.

A complete walking and cycling network with bike sharing
More bike lanes, more sidewalks and bike sharing stations in major urban centres across the region

An information system for travellers, where and when they need it
One stop shopping for transit information. This would eventually include a regional trip planner and schedules accessible from mobile devices

A region-wide integrated transit fare system
By 2012, it is proposed that there will be a common fare system across all systems in the region. This is on top of Presto, which will also be in mid-rollout by that time.

A system of connected mobility hubs
Land use around transit stations will be optimized to complement the transit lines

High-order transit connections to the Pearson Airport district from all directions
In addition to a rail link from Union Station, rapid transit lines will converge on the airport from all sides.

A comprehensive strategy for goods movement
To keep us competitive, Metrolinx will study and consult with industry to develop policies to ensure goods can get to market efficiently. This could also take the form of a new, dedicated freight railway corridor.

An investment strategy to provide stable and predictable funding
Again, I will discuss this in more detail below

So, lets talk about transit.

The transit investments can be broken down into a 15-year and a 25-year plan. The 15-year plan includes:
  • Express rail (15 minutes or better) on the lakeshore line (end to end) and from Union to Brampton.
  • Regional rail (30 minutes or better) on all existing GO lines, GO expansions to many lines and a midtown GO rail line.
  • Subway extensions to the Langstaff Gateway and the Vaughan corporate centre, both mobility hubs which will be transformed to support the expansion.
  • Numerous other rapid transit lines where the technology will be selected in the individual project EAs.
  • Extensions to the 410, 404, 427 and 407.

The 25-year plan includes:
  • Express rail from Union to Cooksville and to Richmond Hill
  • A downtown relief subway
  • Additional other rapid transit lines
  • GTA West and Niagara-GTA highway corridors

Beyond 25 years, we will have additional lines, pending implementation reviews 10 years from now.

So, how will we pay for this?

The fifteen priorities posted by Kiwi above will be funded from MoveOntario 2020 money, and in 2013 a funding review will take place. Experiences from other jurisdictions show that once people have a taste of good transit service, they will be more receptive to new revenue tools. There's no denying that this is a gamble, but based on the trends public transit is poised to become a service that is as essential to life in the region as health care and education.

So, I hope that this helps everyone understand what was released today and what it all means. On that note, comment away - Metrolinx is listening.

Andrae, any word on when the supporting documents mentioned at the beginning of the RTP will be available? Specifically, these are listed as:

• Modelling Methodology and Results for the Draft Regional Transportation Plan,
September 2008
• Climate Change and Energy Conservation, September 2008
• Mobility Hubs, September 2008
• Transit Technologies, September 2008

This draft plan reminds me of MoveOntario 2020... and that isn't a good thing. This draft document signals a shift away from Metrolinx's reason for existence - creating a coordinated, region-wide transit plan - and has instead shifted to MoveOntario's "planning by rubber stamp" by regurgitating the long list of municipally-advocated transit projects from the past 10 years.

The previous Metrolinx plan actually showed us some new ideas - ideas that hadn't been pushed by GO or Mississauga or York or any other municipality. Ideas that actually looked at problems from a region-wide perspective. It was refreshing. But now I look at this report and see nothing new any more... those new ideas have been stripped away, leaving only old ideas that serve "municipal priorities".

And so we have a busway on Dundas Street in Halton in 15 years, when there isn't even a bus route on that street today. But yet it talks about road congestion on the 401 without even accounting for with the ~630,000 people in Guelph and Waterloo Region?

Is this the effect of a Metrolinx board populated by municipal politicians? Halton Region has a member on the board... Waterloo Region does not.

What type of a transit plan has a map of "Areas of Social Need" (which is a completely perplexing map, BTW. Downtown Oakville, has 'above average' need, while rural areas are a random marbled mix... who knew?) in a prevalent location at the front of the document, but not a single map of residential or employment density?

Funny that the 25 year plan is shaped like a dollar sign in Scarborough... perhaps an omen of the money that will be wasted there because of poor planning.

LOL. Good eye. The symbolism is fantastic.

The only thing I notice that has changed is adding Brampton to the Lakeshore Line RERification that makes it any different than 2020, and my sense is that might be tied to whatever comes out of the airport link, which might explain why it goes ahead of Milton. It really appears that the plan was watered down, a feeling already expressed here.

I also think that Stouffville has a much more potential for a "express rail" line than Richmond Hill, especially that the latter will be replicating the Yonge subway. Also disappointing is the DRL pushed back, and the lack of a good east-west route north of Eglinton.

Edit: Good call on that map of "social need" - not only does it remind me of Transit City's transit planning by the United Way (throwing out established transit planning principles), it makes little sense where those "high need" areas are. I just don't get it.

Andrae, any word on when the supporting documents mentioned at the beginning of the RTP will be available? Specifically, these are listed as:

• Modelling Methodology and Results for the Draft Regional Transportation Plan,
September 2008
• Climate Change and Energy Conservation, September 2008
• Mobility Hubs, September 2008
• Transit Technologies, September 2008

I suspect they will be released when to board meets this friday.

Hi. I live in Malvern near Neilson & Finch Ave E and work downtown near Spadina & College St. My 30 km trip by TTC takes 100 to 120 minutes no matter what way I go. I have had days where I have spent 3.5 to 4 hours in a day on the TTC. Living here gives you a feeling of isolation.

I used to take the Neilson 133 bus south to STC then the SRT to Kennedy then the BD subway to Spadina then the Spadina streetcar to work for a couple of years but I gave up on it. Too many transfers, too much crowding and too many RT delays as it nears the end of its lifespan. In the winter time, the RT hardly runs at all or runs very slowly.

So I switched my route to 39 Finch Ave Express to Yonge St, then the subway down to College St, then the streetcar or walk to Spadina. This is one less transfer than the STC way but I dislike it because of the traffic congestion on Finch, the heavy crowding on the bus and all the stops along way. Going home this way has the extra disadvantage of frequent 39 Finch E bus shorturns at McCowan/Middlefield so it can easily be a 4 transfer trip.

I have also tried the 139 Finch E bus from Don Mills station after taking the Sheppard Subway east to go home but gave up on that because of long waiting times for a bus and too many shorturns.

What I would love to see is a GO train station built at the corner of Neilson Rd and Crow Trail just south of Finch Ave. There is room there for a station on land that is currently green space and parkland. This station would be in walking distance to all of the high rise apartment buildings in Malvern. Malvern is one Toronto's Priority Neighbourhoods and there is a high social need to improved transportation services. There are 80,000 people living in Malvern / Morningside Heights and I know I am not the only one who suffers long travel times to downtown.

I think GO train service to Malvern could be implemented very quickly and much cheaper than any subway or LRT service and would be a major transit improvement to a lot of people. Later on it could be extended further east out to north Pickering / Withby / Oshawa.

I assume that only a few things need to be done:
1) Build the Malvern GO station
2) Build a direct connection (no transfer please) to the rail line that goes south from Agincourt GO station to Union Station
3) Set up the platform at Union Station for the new route
4) Acquire new trains, staff, etc.

Please consider making this one of Metrolinx's transit priorities.

Can someone explain this in a little more detail:

Finch/Sheppard rapid transit from Pearson Airport to Scarborough Centre and Meadowvale

Back