News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Can someone explain this in a little more detail:

Finch/Sheppard rapid transit from Pearson Airport to Scarborough Centre and Meadowvale

There is some discussion of finding a way to connect the two together, possibly along Don Mills. Makes sense - the disconnect in service along these streets is one of the weakest parts of Transit City.

Obviously, they are also talking about a spur/extension of Sheppard down to STC (which, I believe, is still to be considered by the EA), and a similar western dip down to the airport in Etobicoke.

That and the conversion of Milton to express rail, which boggles my mind. Won't Mississaugans just converge on the Lakeshore line then?

Depends on how long it takes to get it south. Milton will have half hour service even without this plan. It may not be worth the extra travel time to head south.

That and the conversion of Milton to express rail, which boggles my mind. Won't Mississaugans just converge on the Lakeshore line then?
The ones who are close enough maybe, but I think the majority going by public transit would just go through Islington, and those with a choice would still drive.

Depends on how long it takes to get it south. Milton will have half hour service even without this plan. It may not be worth the extra travel time to head south.

Northeast Mississauga (Malton) is also served by the Georgetown line which, according to the above, will also have 15 minute service.

So the people in "middlsauga" (just made that up...I like it) will have the choice to be served by the 30 minute service on the Milton line or travel north or south to the 15 minute service....I doubt many will move in either direction as the 15 minute saving would likely be eaten up just getting there!

Hello everyone - Andrae Griffith from the Metrolinx RTP Advisory Committee here...

So, lets talk about transit.

The transit investments can be broken down into a 15-year and a 25-year plan. The 15-year plan includes:
  • Express rail (15 minutes or better) on the lakeshore line (end to end) and from Union to Brampton.

• That last bit brought a smile to my face...full service to Brampton, I guess, recognizes the current and future population of Brampton plus the potential that the line has to add ridership.

We do have to do a better job with the media, though, the Toronto Star's web page on this does not mention that 15 minute service to and from Brampton. The relevant excerpts are:

1. A network of fast, frequent regional transit with Toronto’s Transit City light rail lines extending to the 905-region suburbs and an electrified GO system featuring 15-minute, two-way service along the critical Lakeshore corridor in 25 years.

- Rapid transit along Hurontario St. in Mississauga that would connect Port Credit and the Mississauga City Centre to Brampton. The mode of transit hasn’t been specified in the plan but light rail is being considered.

-two-way all day GO service to Milton, Richmond Hill, Markham and Etobicoke and service to Bowmanville.

Taken together, what the Star is reporting to Brampton residents is that there would be no improvement to their GO service...but don't worry, there will be improvement everywhere else and we are making it easier to get to Port Credit......thankfully that does not appear to be the case but it sorta points out how important the media is in getting the message out there.....as it turns out the Star appears to have totally mis-reported this story.

I also think that Stouffville has a much more potential for a "express rail" line than Richmond Hill, especially that the latter will be replicating the Yonge subway. Also disappointing is the DRL pushed back, and the lack of a good east-west route north of Eglinton.

Considering the massive convergence of transit services at Richmond Hill Centre (subway, YRT, Viva, 407 Transitway, GO Bus, GO Rail), Express Rail is needed on that corridor. The subway can only handle so many passengers and RHex will be essential to the transit mix on the Yonge corridor. 30-minute service to Stouffville may be sufficient in the short term, considering the other links being provided (i.e. Hwy7 Viva, Markham N-S link), but there's nothing precluding further expansion if ridership increases. The plan is providing a framework to allow for expansion and improvements after the first chunk go through.

The previous Metrolinx plan actually showed us some new ideas - ideas that hadn't been pushed by GO or Mississauga or York or any other municipality. Ideas that actually looked at problems from a region-wide perspective. It was refreshing. But now I look at this report and see nothing new any more... those new ideas have been stripped away, leaving only old ideas that serve "municipal priorities".
It does feel that way. The RTP, in my mind, is the consolidation of all local plans into one package, with the addition of "missing links" between the local plans.

Considering the massive convergence of transit services at Richmond Hill Centre (subway, YRT, Viva, 407 Transitway, GO Bus, GO Rail), Express Rail is needed on that corridor. The subway can only handle so many passengers and RHex will be essential to the transit mix on the Yonge corridor. 30-minute service to Stouffville may be sufficient in the short term, considering the other links being provided (i.e. Hwy7 Viva, Markham N-S link), but there's nothing precluding further expansion if ridership increases. The plan is providing a framework to allow for expansion and improvements after the first chunk go through.

Unfortunately, there's almost nothing along the rail corridor between this artifical transit node and Union Station, especially when the CP/CN spur at Don Mills, which would have made an efficient short-cut, was yanked. The GO line is very scenic, and is almost as scenic and winding as the Orangevillle-Brampton line, which also doesn't have a lot of intermediate potential either.

The DRL is needed more to relieve an extended Yonge line than this "express rail" that won't be very effective in intercepting intermediate passengers.

BTW - that's one more thing that rubs me the wrong way. The call what we should think of as commuter rail "regional rail" and what is regional rail, like RER, "express rail". They've confused things.

I'm deeply dissapointed with this plan. From making Eglinton a massive error (using the mistake from Scarborough) to putting the one major project to alleviate congestion in the city (DRL) so far off into the future that I doubt it'll even get considered, most likely just forgotten like the original DRL was in the network 2011 plan.

Downtown is so congested, especially with roads going east/west that this lack of foresight is offensive to city dwellers. We should make it a priority, not streetcars in Scarborough just because it's a special needs community. Umm, special needs would be addressing the constant congestion, even during Sundays in downtown Toronto.

I'm deeply dissapointed with this plan. From making Eglinton a massive error (using the mistake from Scarborough) to putting the one major project to alleviate congestion in the city (DRL) so far off into the future that I doubt it'll even get considered, most likely just forgotten like the original DRL was in the network 2011 plan.

Downtown is so congested, especially with roads going east/west that this lack of foresight is offensive to city dwellers. We should make it a priority, not streetcars in Scarborough just because it's a special needs community. Umm, special needs would be addressing the constant congestion, even during Sundays in downtown Toronto.

It seems that the answer to downtown congestion is giving more suburbanites a non-car option to getting downtown?

It seems that the answer to downtown congestion is giving more suburbanites a non-car option to getting downtown?

People living in the city have as much right to transit as do people living in the outer boonies. Currently, only the outer boonies are getting any sort of improved transit. I live 7km from downtown, by streetcar it takes me nearly an hour, by subway (taking the bus up Royal York and then east by subway) is about an hour too.

Why is it taking me an hour to get downtown when this plan will help people living in the outer clusters of civilization get downtown as fast?

People living in the city have as much right to transit as do people living in the outer boonies. Currently, only the outer boonies are getting any sort of improved transit. I live 7km from downtown, by streetcar it takes me nearly an hour, by subway (taking the bus up Royal York and then east by subway) is about an hour too.

Why is it taking me an hour to get downtown when this plan will help people living in the outer clusters of civilization get downtown as fast?

I was just suggesting what their answer to congested downtown was....I was not suggesting that people living in the "outer clusters of civilization" deserve anything more than you do.

I was just suggesting what their answer to congested downtown was....I was not suggesting that people living in the "outer clusters of civilization" deserve anything more than you do.

Transit should first fix congestion and then branch off to being an alternative to driving suburbanites.

It's so frustrating to be living here and thinking about transit.. Our forefathers with the foresight to build the downtown subway network would cry to see what this city has come to. Subways in farm fields.

Back