News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Go ride the Montréal Metro and take measurements. Then compare the measurements with our Subway, streetcars, AND the new Flexity Freedom vehicles. Our Subways cars are very wide, the Flexity Freedom will be wider than the Montréal Metro cars and our current streetcars.

But 10 cm or 2 inches is like releasing your belt bucket a couple of holes after eating a big lunch. It may not be much, but better than before.

I've explained this to you before: the Montreal Metro is totally different because it is a high floor vehicle. The trucks are below the floor and don't have to waste space in some giant plastic wheel well.

Compare the difference:

metrojom.jpg

versus

7864150508_737e21dacc_b.jpg

Notice that because the trucks are beneath the floor you can get creative with the seating, like having alternating 2 + 1 arrangements. You can't do this on a low floor LRV.

Notice that because the trucks are beneath the floor you can get creative with the seating, like having alternating 2 + 1 arrangements. You can't do this on a low floor LRV.
Your picture from Montreal is not of the current vehicles. For almost 50 years, Montreal has used nothing but a combination of 2+2 seating and side seating. It's only very recently they have been testing 2+1 configurations. The 2+2 configurations have narrower corridors than the Metrolinx LRVs.

Found a link to a PDF on the new Montréal Metro cars from Bombardier-Alstom, for comparison purposes.

7316334366_aa82389190_c.jpg

7316333562_11524b03a0_c.jpg

7316332524_e4043a4bcc_c.jpg

Here's the link to the Bombardier Flexity Freedom PDF.

The Bombardier-Alstom is to be 2,514 mm wide, while the Bombardier Flexity Freedom will be 2,650 mm wide.

Toronto Rocket interior, also from Bombardier:

urbantoronto-918-2560.jpg

Last edited:
The Transit City lines aren't going to be crush-loaded anyway, so we don't really need to compare them to a subway car.

I was in the mockup today, I don't see the isle being an issue since it is wide enough for most anyone to walk through and it will be the last place passengers will want to stand since there is plenty of open room in the other sections, where most passengers will be entering.

I was in the mockup today, I don't see the isle being an issue since it is wide enough for most anyone to walk through and it will be the last place passengers will want to stand since there is plenty of open room in the other sections, where most passengers will be entering.
If you ridden any of Europe systems, you will find people standing in the aisle as well trying to get to another section.

They are a pain and have ridden too many to say this.

I just hope my perceived narrowness isn't that much of an issue in a real world situation. Everything else I saw of the mockup at the CNE looked very nice.

Had a look at the Mockup on Sat and it almost the same as the rest I saw in Europe.

No staff on hand to answer question.

Only the small stroller could use the aisle way to get to the front for the photo taking.

Big push was getting people to have their picture taken, but never did it.

The seats and aisle are the same compare what I have seen to date in Europe.

The way the seat was place in the 2nd unit, going bench style for that car as well the 4th car.

The front door area is a duel slop floor area and never see this on any car in Europe and will be an issue for standing in this area.

It will be interesting to see what the full car will look like, as I get the feeling this model will be for very few seats and a lot of standees like Europe.

Lets see if it has a slide out ramp for accessibility like the ones I have seen so far.

Very hard trying to take photos, but got a few.

The post with new streetcar photos was moved.

Thanks Markster for providing the link to the correct thread, making my job much quicker!

Back