News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I'm still perplexed on how you start Presto on Lakeshore West 2 years before you start it on Lakeshore East - given that they are for the most part the same trains (personally I'm tired of carrying around Danforth-Exhibition 10-ride tickets ...).

Take this for what it is: a somewhat garbled version of what I've heard from my source.

First, the beginning Lakeshore West implementation is a second-phase trial for a limited customer base. This is essentially what was done the last time except this time it will be done using the final hardware, software, and infrastructure.

Second, I suspect that the Lakeshore East delay is due to DRT lagging behind coupled with an intent to roll out by geographic area so that when users start using it, they can use it across the board.

But yeah, it's strange.

Seattle has a Orca (One Regional Card for All) card, or smart card for public transit payments for their region. It stores values and adjusts the balance contactless. In theory.

However, this news item from komonews.com shows a problem with it. There's also a video on the wedsite:

090810_orca_card.jpg

Several hundred users of the card, which works for buses, light rail and the ferry, report that when they reload the card online, it's taking days for the money to show up on their account.

The Orca card was supposed to make taking different forms of mass transit around here work seamlessly. But several hundred are reporting a problem with the card -- it takes too long for money to show up in your balance if you reload it online.

Right now, Sound Transit gets 1,500 orca card e-mails and phone calls a week, and more than half are complaints that their money never showed up.

One of those stuck was Mike Pietsch. The Orca card is supposed to get you on the bus, the light rail and even the ferry. But Pietsch, who went to go take the bus, couldn't get past the driver when is card didn't work. And to top it off, he didn't have cash for the fare.

"You're told 'Well, we can't help you' and you go 'Ahhhhh!' " he said.

Sound Transit says the issue stems from people reloading the Orca card online. A spokeswoman says it is a smart card system and takes at least 24 hours before money you pay for online shows up on your card.

The agency suggests putting money on your Orca card days before you actually need it. In Pietsch's case, it took four days to show up.

If you need funds immediately, you can add the money to your Orca card at kiosks at the Link or Sounder stations and the money is available right away.

Dexit worked well. It is a shame that they needed to reinvent the wheel considering all the hardware Dexit rolled out is now no longer used.

Seattle's ORCA (Smart Card) problems continue

From Seattle Transit Blog, problem with their smart card system continue:

Many people have bought an ORCA card, put it aside, and found that their account was deactivated because it wasn’t used for 30 days. Delia Johnson was one of those people, but she “Got Jesse,” who got some answers. In the report, there’s some of the typical TV-news faux outrage, but it’s true that customer service hasn’t been a strong point of the ORCA experience.

I’m told the reason for the problem is all those ORCA readers out on buses. They can only update when they’re back at base, so there’s some delay before account information makes it to all the buses. Furthermore, there are some memory limitations on the system. That’s all understandable.

What’s not understandable is why the training for the call center people is so atrocious. A friend of mine had a similar problem with a deactivated ORCA card; when they called last month, she was told they would cut her a check for the balance. When no such check came, she called again and was told they’d simply add the balance to the card.

Also, fishing around for about 15 minutes on the ORCA card website did not turn up an answer for how this kind of problem is addressed. It may very well be on there somewhere, but such a frequent problem ought to be prominently answered.

Anecdotally, lots of our commenters have shared instances where the call center folks haven’t known what they’re talking about.

While I’m on the subject of ORCA and customer service, I’d like to give a special booby prize to the man who was working the northernmost service window at the Metro Jackson St. Service Center on September 2nd at noon. He left his window in mid-transaction to take a half-hour lunch break, without telling anyone where he was going or for how long. The customer was stuck there, unable to retrieve her ID, during the entire episode. You weren’t wearing a name tag, sir, so I don’t know who you are, but you give public employees everywhere a bad name. I hope your supervisor is reading this.

We should just contract this work out to Tim Horton's!

I have one of their cards.....it checks my balance every other monday and tops it up via a pre-approved top up plan I enrolled online for.

It happens in the middle of the night every second Monday and that morning I have full access to my topped up account....if Tim Hortons' can figure out how to do this but transit authorities in Seattle can't then there is something up!

Presto fare card to go live soon at Union
http://www.metronews.ca/toronto/local/article/346834--presto-fare-card-to-go-live-soon-at-union
TORSTAR NEWS SERVICE
October 22, 2009 5:41 a.m.

It will be Nov. 30 before the hoods come off the new Presto card readers that recently appeared at Union Station.

That’s when the next phase of the new regional fare-card system will launch for about 500 commuters who board GO Transit at Oakville and Bronte.

The reloadable Presto smart-card, which will eventually allow riders to use a single fare card across nine GTA transit systems, was tested in Mississauga more than a year ago. The expanded program gives riders the ability to reload the card online, by phone or in person.

Twenty-seven card readers will operate at Oak ville, Bronte and Union stations. Readers will also be added to 10 Oakville buses and at two TTC turnstiles at Union.

Commuters who want to participate will be able to apply in coming weeks, when Presto representatives will be on GO platforms providing information.

Only 10 Oakville buses? I wonder if they will be only the routes feeding Bronte Station (the majority of routes feed Oakville GO).

Presto is another example of consultants (Accenture) running amok with little to show for it.

Stage One
Field Trials (Fall 2009):

* GO Transit's Oakville, Bronte and Union GO Rail stations.
* Oakville Transit (10 buses).
* Toronto Transit Commission (TTC) Union Station.

Stage Two
Spring 2010

* GO Transit's Lakeshore West, Georgetown and Milton GO Rail lines.
* Oakville Transit.
* Burlington Transit.
* TTC (6 Subway Stations)

Stage Three
Fall 2010

* GO Transit's Lakeshore East, Barrie and Richmond Hill GO Rail lines and all associated GO Bus routes.
* Mississauga Transit.
* Brampton Transit.
* Hamilton Street Railway.
* TTC (Kipling and Islington Subway Stations).

Winter 2011

* Durham Region Transit
* York Region Transit
* GO Transit's Stouffville GO Rail line and all remaining GO Bus routes.
* TTC (Don Mills, Downsview and Finch Subway Stations).

Stage Four
Winter 2011

* Ottawa's OC Transpo System.

Interesting observation here: At first, we were told that for the forseeable future, you'd only see the TTC/Presto compatibility at Union, Kipling, Islington, Don Mills, Downsview and Finch. The above schedule indeed cites those six subway stations by name and shows, logically enough, them coming online in tandem with the non-TTC services that feed into them.

However, there's now mention made of 6 subway stations getting the card in Spring 2010... at a time while Presto is still basically limited to Halton region plus Lakeshore West into Toronto.

Is this an error---a reference perhaps to an earlier draft timeframe when the same six stations would have gone online then? Or is it evidence that the TTC has realized that installing Presto readers at some of the downtown core stations (like, say, St. Patrick, Osgoode, St. Andrew, King, Queen and Dundas) will make short counterflow TTC jumps more appetizing to Oakville and Burlington based commuters, and ultimately make them money?

I've seen references elsewhere to them adding it at College, Dundas, St. George, St. Patrick, Queen's Park, and Bloor-Yonge next spring. Only makes sense, as otherwise, all those GO users entering at Union wouldn't be able to get home.

Only makes sense, as otherwise, all those GO users entering at Union wouldn't be able to get home.
Oh, it makes perfect sense, which is exactly why you can't count on the TTC to do it ;)

Those six stations are reasonably smart picks... I guess most people working south of Adelaide will still choose to walk to Union so outfitting St. Andrew and King might not be a high priority. Osgoode and Queen, though, strike me as locations with a lot of employment that could benefit from being part of that batch.

All told, I'd be curious to know what the actual cost of installing one Presto reader into a turnstile is to the TTC. It strikes me as the sort of thing that could potentially pay for itself relatively quickly by actually attracting riders.

I'd hope that if the early installation at the first 7 stations in the next 6-months goes simply, that they'd push ahead with the other stations sooner, than later.

Given we are going to need Presto cards next year to use GO (at least those of us who at least keep a 10-ride card in the wallet), then being able to use in subway stations will cut down on all those pesky tokens.

Oh, it makes perfect sense, which is exactly why you can't count on the TTC to do it ;)

Those six stations are reasonably smart picks... I guess most people working south of Adelaide will still choose to walk to Union so outfitting St. Andrew and King might not be a high priority. Osgoode and Queen, though, strike me as locations with a lot of employment that could benefit from being part of that batch.

All told, I'd be curious to know what the actual cost of installing one Presto reader into a turnstile is to the TTC. It strikes me as the sort of thing that could potentially pay for itself relatively quickly by actually attracting riders.
I was thinking that, depending on how exactly the Presto card works, it might simply require a bit of programming in the turnstiles for programmed trips.

They might not be able to easily get in the equipment to buy tickets or charge a set fare, but I would've thought that if someone wanted to buy a metropass on their Presto card, it would just have taken a bit of programming in the entire system. As long as they use the same technology (which I assume they do,) wouldn't they just have to add the turnstiles to whatever presto network there is?

I was thinking that, depending on how exactly the Presto card works, it might simply require a bit of programming in the turnstiles for programmed trips.

They might not be able to easily get in the equipment to buy tickets or charge a set fare, but I would've thought that if someone wanted to buy a metropass on their Presto card, it would just have taken a bit of programming in the entire system. As long as they use the same technology (which I assume they do,) wouldn't they just have to add the turnstiles to whatever presto network there is?

Nope, totally different technologies. You can no more get a Presto card to work with a normal TTC turnstile than you can get a key to open a combination lock.

My understanding is every single Metropass for a given month has the exact same "password" (for lack of a better term) invisibly "printed" on its magnetic strip. You run the strip through the slot on the top of the turnstile, the machine performs a really simple "is this my current password setting or not" check, and you're in or out. There's nothing special on the card that links it to you, and no opportunity to write or re-write data to it. All the magnetic strip really does is (a) give the machine an easy way to read the card and (b) makes it moderately difficult to conterfeit them. Likewise, the turnstile is "dumb"... it can't think and process on its own, and isn't constantly talking and checking in with a computer network.**

Presto works by RFID technology and is a totally different beast (I haven't seen the back of one of the cards, but as far as I know, there isn't even a magnetic strip on them). Embedded in the actual plastic structure of the card is a metal antenna which can remotely transmit data at distances up to a few inches. Not only do the radio waves allow information to be transmitted to the card, but the card is also able to convert radio energy into a small amount of electricity, so when you wave the card near the reader it can (briefly) power up an onboard microchip with writable memory and "think"--this allows them to not need to squeeze a battery somewhere into the card. Your card "knows" how much money you have stored on it, and "talks" to the turnstile either to figure out how much money it should wipe from your balance after you go through or to persuade it that you're a legit owner of a valid monthly pass and you should go through.

If RFID readers were installed on TTC turnstiles then yes, it would be a matter of tapping in a few lines of code somewhere to make it so that you could, for lack of a better term, put a Metropass "inside" your Presto card. You'd wave the card, it would strike up a chat with the turnstile, and the two would agree that because it's month X, you're allowed through. It would improve on the current Metropass by being contactless and considerably less susceptible to counterfeiting. They'd also be able to offer new pricing structures--for instance, a setup is possible where you pay as you go at the same price as tokens until you've spent a monthly pass's worth, at which point all subsequent travel is free for that month.

The hangup is that the TTC has indicated it will only install RFID readers in its turnstiles and on its surface fleet if someone else wants to pay for it. This is in stark contrast to the rest of the GTHA transit systems--which, to be fair, have fewer vehicles to outfit and less already invested in fare collection infrastructure. Rationalizations aside, this is generally in keeping with the TTC's attitude of rigorous indifference towards riders originating outside its system.

I haven't ever heard a figure quoted for the per-unit cost of RFID readers, but seeing as MasterCard can get them into every Tim Horton's, I'd wager they must be considerably cheaper than they were even three years ago.

Most of us expect that at some point either Metrolinx will cave and fully or partially fund Presto's rollout across the TTC, or it will twist the TTC's arm into installing them by blocking financing for something else until they comply. One thing that ought to be interesting is watching what sort of fare collection is supported on the first Transit City lines, because Metrolinx will hold be the notional owner and have a degree of operational shot-calling power.

-----
** - (I may in fact be oversimplifying... there could, for instance, be separate identifiers for adult metropasses versus the discounted ones that get logged by the turnstiles for statistical purposes, and rather than a monthly code that needs to be changed, the turnstiles might have an automatic internal calendar that checks against a date written into the card's strip, which would presumably cut down on the amount of physical fiddling with them. AFAIK the TTC doesn't ever really talk about the precise functionality of this stuff, for obviousish reasons.)

^

I think readers can cost anywhere from $500 to $2000 per unit depending on what you get. I have no idea if that's just the reader or if that includes all the hardware needed to run the system. Then of course you have the software, integration and installation of the whole shebang.

I'm thinking between 5000-6000 units needed to put them in all stations and on all surface vehicles.

Really though, I don't blame them. Go ahead get the province to pay for it. It's their initiative. It's no different from certain cities waiting for the province and feds to pay for things like their BRT or the TTC not giving discounts on trips to GO stations since GO pays everyone but them. The city needs all the money we can get to pay for the new streetcars and subway trains.

Last edited:

Back