News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Does this happen to anyone?

Screen shot 2016-09-16 at 6.45.02 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen shot 2016-09-16 at 6.45.02 PM.png
    Screen shot 2016-09-16 at 6.45.02 PM.png
    26 KB · Views: 659
The TTC gets a lot of predictable cash from Metropass sales, especially MDP. Cash flow in the first months of a cap situation? Who knows.

The new cash flows really shouldn't be that difficult to figure out with the pass multiple dropping so much. Most pass users are now capping, or near to it. Perhaps some months it will be different, but Metrolinx already has experience with seasonal and quirky months (like February and December) from GO Transit.

Last edited:
The TTC gets a lot of predictable cash from Metropass sales, especially MDP. Cash flow in the first months of a cap situation? Who knows.
Yes, the first couple of months will be a bit hard to predict but ... Now TTC gets lots of "unearned income" at the end of every month when people invest in new Metropasses for the next month. In the Brave New World they should see much more even cash-flow and will get funds in advance from people like me who have never bought a Metropass but now put $$ onto my Presto Card. (Though if you add $$ online does this 'float' stay with Presto/Metrolinx until a fare is charged by a transit agency? (I suspect it does.)

Does this happen to anyone?

View attachment 86444
I can't even get my presto card to tap from inside my wallet anymore, nor through my flimsy phone case... let alone accidentally tapping from my pocket.

I call bs.
I do too. The question is whether I can tap through my backpack with the card in my wallet. And that's on the GO platform stalks, the most powerful RF emission I'm aware of. I usually have to try a few times on bus readers and TTC gates with a nude card...an issue I have a beef with, btw, since sometimes the light shows green, but there's no beep.

I think part of the issue with metropass is the various discount plans.

I think the issue with the metropass is just the lack of Presto terminals in a lot of places. The TTC would probably get flooded with complaints from people who bought a Metropass but still need to use tokens once in a while.

In retail, people will sell less of their product in fewer stores if it means being consistently stocked, because you can't build good customer relationships if your product is frequently unavailable. Metropasses have a similar problem, it's better for them to be reliably available and useable than to add them onto Presto ASAP.

I can't even get my presto card to tap from inside my wallet anymore, nor through my flimsy phone case... let alone accidentally tapping from my pocket.

I call bs.

I have no trouble using my presto inside my wallet.

I have no trouble using my presto inside my wallet.
A lot depends on where. Try doing it through your wallet on UPX when they check your fare on the train. Many bus readers aren't strong/sensitive enough to detect through a wallet. Others you only have to waive it past.

A lot depends on where. Try doing it through your wallet on UPX when they check your fare on the train. Many bus readers aren't strong/sensitive enough to detect through a wallet. Others you only have to waive it past.
i find the original readers more sensitive to the card...I had to take out my card from my wallet on the new ones while ive rarely had to do so in the G1s

i find the original readers more sensitive to the card...I had to take out my card from my wallet on the new ones while ive rarely had to do so in the G1s
Yeah, I'm not familiar with the different models, or revisions, if any on the buses, but they vary wildly in response from one bus to another. In all fairness, the techs might unwittingly be setting them up differently for both xmting strength and sensitivity threshold for receiving. Buses especially have a rough ride which might throw some off of factory setting. Adjacent metal objects will also vary the field strength, especially ferrous metals and nickel. All card readers have adjustable settings. That being said, the handheld readers will have a much lower output power (actually termed 'input power' to the antenna/inductive loop) to conserve battery life. The UPX on train staff and fare enforcement have to hold the cards tightly against their readers as a result.

I've just boarded (at about 09:15) a 501 Westbound at Neville Park. All of the Presto readers are out of service. Two fare inspectors are on board. When I realised none of the readers were working, I indicated to one of the inspectors that I wanted to pay by Presto. He came over, and asked to me pay either by cash or token, saying that this is a TTC Bylaw: passengers must always carry an alternative means of paying their fare, in case the Presto readers are not functioning.

My astonishment at hearing this rendered me speechless, but I was able to ask if was jesting. No, this was no jest; this was the law, and by attempting to ride without paying I was committing an offence. He went on to say that as it was early on a Tuesday morning, and I'd attempted to pay, he wouldn't be issuing a ticket. But he did say I must always carry an alternative means of paying my fare.

If the fare inspector was correct, and I presume he was, this is a truly extraordinary state of affairs. And, in my experience of using public transport systems around the world, globally unique!

Back