News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

That's incorrect--as I mentioned earlier, I used to be signed up for the GO post secondary discount, and on TTC that charges the adult fare of $2.90, not $1.95. The Presto code is 'PS1', when you have a code that a system doesn't recognize, it defaults to adult, and the TTC does not have a 'PS1' code.

Interesting. Then I'm not sure how he's paying $2.00 then. Maybe the presto booth at Union Station set it up incorrectly? He just got the Presto card, so its not as if he's using an old Presto card from high school. I'll attribute this to human error on the part of the employee who set it up, rather than system error.

Had a family member get 'declined' on a streetcar the other day with plenty of balance. Serious issue--they say if readers are out of service you ride free, but to an operator, surely 'declined' cannot be easily distinguished between a lack of funds and a technical issue?

That's a problem I've never heard of before. Maybe connected to the Royal York issue? I hope people aren't getting stranded because of this.

Also this week I've seen Oliver Moore from the Globe and Mail note that Presto hadn't been recording his off taps on GO Transit. Others are complaining about Auto-load being randomly canceled and being charged for trips they never took. And the Presto loading kiosks across the city look to have not down for a significant period of time this week.

Getting this from searching "Presto Card" on Twitter.

Had a family member get 'declined' on a streetcar the other day with plenty of balance. Serious issue--they say if readers are out of service you ride free, but to an operator, surely 'declined' cannot be easily distinguished between a lack of funds and a technical issue?

Well, that actually seems to be a common problem (from Twitter):

Declining Valid Fares:
"$26 on @PRESTOcard "epurse" but every turnstile declines. One broke turnstile is open & everybody uses it. Bad system that costs millions."

@shawnmicallef @PRESTOcard Filling "epurse", CHARGED and turnstile declines. Ask for help from collectors, accused of theft. I cry often.

Nice @TTChelps ticket person let me through because my @PRESTOcard was again not working. $20 and works 1/4 the time.

@TTChelps my Presto hasn't worked both times I've tried using it at dufferin. Could it be my card is too old? Because there is enough funds

Odd. Couldn't tap in for UPX cause of mystery unpaid @PRESTOcard charge. But same card is carrying balance bigger than this supposed charge

@PRESTOcard My online account isn't activated because I can't tap it with $0.10c left. I've been using it for over a year w/ reload kiosks.

Despite having money on my presto card, it was just declined on the streetcar, so I had to get off, go buy tokens, and wait for another one

My @PRESTOcard has been declined at my first attempt to use it. Conductor of 514 #4000 was rude and didn't help at all

@PRESTOcard Prestocard crape new way to suck our blood , can't use it at Eglinton station I have to pay cash , luckily 504 is free

@PRESTOcard @TTCnotices my PResto card has $18 on it but was repeatedly declined today at royal york station :/

In addition to...

Setup woes:
I got a #presto card and I am 100% sure it's easier to order, setup and activate a credit card than it is to get on the flipping subway.

Improper Charges:
@PRESTOcard @TTChelps why's my card activity NOT reflecting where I actually took TTC? Pls see pic; I wasn't by St Clair W at all that day

Hey @PRESTOcard this wasn't me, I didn't take TTC on Fri and was nowhere near College & Beverley. My card is in my wallet. What's going on?

Hey, #prestopain users, unclear if this is one-person issue or systemic; check that you weren't billed twice! #ottcity #octranspo

@MoggyBee Billed 4x for @PRESTOcard monthly pass. Said it was "impossible" and were very quiet when they looked at account. #Visa fixed it.

@JSlighte @PRESTOcard Error message when ordering online but charged for it? They pretty much told me to follow up w/ my bank on my own #smh

@PRESTOcard Web order charged 2X, not completed. Call to re-order. 13 days, no card. Call. Told to buy new card & call again. Sound right?

@PRESTOcard you took my $ for auto-reload, didn't apply it to my card, and now your customer service reps tell me to just use cash. Nice.

Broken Reload Machines:
Im usually a big fan of PRESTOcard until today when I'm stranded at Islington Station because both machines re down..

@jchianello most @OCTranspoLive @PRESTOcard readers down today. FYI that account is automated. Real people at @OC_Transpo

Went to 5 different TTC locations to load my @PRESTOcard and NONE of the kiosks worked. Thanks for nothing jerks.

@PRESTOcard so NONE of the machine's work @ ANY @TTC locations tried King, Main, Broadview & scarbough centre station was told down 4 weeks.

I take transit a few times a week & yet this is not an unusual sight. Disappointing & hope it's resolved asap. @PRESTOcard (Image of broken reader attached)

@PRESTOcard so NONE of the machine's work @ ANY @TTC locations tried King, Main, Broadview & scarbough centre station was told down 4 weeks.

@PRESTOcard machines at the entrance of Islington subway aren't working. @TTChelps booth agent won't let you go to the inside one to load up

@PRESTOcard @TTChelps every Presto reload machine I could find @unionstationTO is out of service. How is this possible?

*Many more complaints about broken reload machines this week*

Broken Auto-Reload:
@PRESTOcard you've pushed my patience too far. The random auto load contract cancellation, I fix it, it still isn't fixed.

.@PRESTOcard Augh! I'm done dealing with this! I'm going for a walk. After all, not like I can use my Presto Card again for 24 hours!

Cards Not Delivered:
@PRESTOcard when you pay $66 for a card/credit over a month ago, don't get it, and then get run around multiple times by customer service

Thank you @PRESTOcard for wrongly charging me for 2x cards & making me run around for 3wks trying to get my $ back.. Then never return it.

Others:
3 days later, I’m finally “allowed” to update my @PRESTOcard autoload payment information. What a joke.

@janineisa_belle @PRESTOcard [PRESTO is] literal garbage. It was such a bad urban planning choice to begin with & the implementation is a disaster

@jchianello most @OCTranspoLive @PRESTOcard readers down today. FYI that account is automated. Real people at @OC_Transpo

Someone who likes Presto:

Traveled from downtown Toronto to Richmond Hill via TTC/YRT/Viva. Less convoluted than I thought. OMG do I actually like the @PRESTOcard? :(

@shawnmicallef @PRESTOcard Strange. It works flawlessly in Durham region. I use it all the time.

There are more reports of Presto machines denying valid fares, this time at High Park Station. There is definitely a major problem with the system.

Last edited:
It says that Presto isn't going to be fully implemented on TTC until beginning of 2017. I'd have to suspend disbelief to think that anyone on this thread doesn't know this.

Complaining if they don't meet the promised schedule - sure. But they ARE meeting the promised schedule! And yet some still whine.
"And yet some still whine".

Uh huh.

My comment documenting your whining is being taken out of context here.
You're not the only one to accuse those pointing out glitches as "whining". There's no shortage of comments vis-a-vis (gist) "Well it's never happened to me", the inference being that some of us make this all up.

"Out of context"? The context is that the system is buggy, and there's reams of examples posted not only here, but on many sites.

Your answer was to this:
Palma said:
But for 1 transit rider to take multiple trips and encounter countless no readers or not working says a lot.
Completely in context.
Took Metrolinx two weeks to acknowledge that. When do they acknowledge that Presto is denying valid fares?
They couldn't just gloss it over this time. I checked the TTC website a few times yesterday to see if they'd reported it on their website. Absolutely no sign I could find.

The A-G didn't mention Presto this time around, albeit Accenture is indicated in the e-Health fiasco. Perhaps next report Presto will be listed again with all the other almost incomprehensible Metrolinx bumbles?

Last edited:

Here's one focusing on the re-load machines:

upload_2016-12-6_11-56-34.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-12-6_11-56-34.png
    upload_2016-12-6_11-56-34.png
    257.7 KB · Views: 805
There are more reports of Presto machines denying valid fares, this time at High Park Station. There is definitely a major problem with the system.

Now seeing reports on Reddit and Twitter of this happening on subway stations and surface vehicles across the city. One Reddit poster claimed a bus operator told them this is a widespread problem. It's certainly not localized to High Park or Royal York stations. Not good!

Here's one focusing on the re-load machines:

View attachment 93507
These machines can be annoying when they fail to recognize the card. There's a sequence of buttons to reset them, which I have since forgotten. A few days ago one machine at Union subway was completely offline, the other didn't recognize the card. And in the York Concourse, it was the same situation.

Back