News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Their statement doesn't make sense. People can use those old tokens. If you buy a token at $2.80 and then you use it at $2.90, you're essentially taking a $2.90 ride for $2.80, for 10 cents less than the fare; if you buy a $2.80 token and get a refund from the TTC for $2.90, you're getting $2.90 for a $2.80 token, an extra 10 cents.

The same thing happens either way. Why is the TTC being difficult over something they already permit?

Because a TTC token in someone's hand is already paid for, the TTC has already secured the revenue from the token. Someone using the token doesn't cost the TTC anything. Offering a refund is when the TTC has to physically pay out. The assumption is that those with large quantities of old tokens just sitting around, aren't likely to actually use them if they haven't done so already. Offer them $2.90 a token, and they will be more likely to come in for the money.

Same situation happened when Ontario increased the price of beer bottle deposits up to the current price. People have (and are) hoarding the old beer bottles (in their basements or storage units) and turned them in when the deposit increased.

Their statement doesn't make sense. People can use those old tokens. If you buy a token at $2.80 and then you use it at $2.90, you're essentially taking a $2.90 ride for $2.80, for 10 cents less than the fare; if you buy a $2.80 token and get a refund from the TTC for $2.90, you're getting $2.90 for a $2.80 token, an extra 10 cents.

The same thing happens either way. Why is the TTC being difficult over something they already permit?
An excellent precedent is set by cash money. A loonie is worth less today than it was a year ago even. (In both buying power and FX) Does that make it non-current? Hardly. Buying tokens is a form of hedging against inflation, but the TTC does the same by selling Metropasses and Presto sums.

I'll agree with the TTC on their non-return policy of tokens when they start paying interest on the sums they hold on cards and passes.

Last edited:
Brad Ross has said a few times on twiter when asked they will be notified when it's redy to be implemented.

Not sure if how they will implement it but cant they simply just supply subscribers with a discount code for the website so when they purchase they can just enter the code and the price automatically
is adjusted? I havent seen what happens when one buys a monthly pass for go via the site since i use autoload but they can also easily easily create a menu that enables users to subscribe to a monthly payment plan and/or factor in
the discount via the code. Its really all just simple programming thats been used for years one sales websites.

Not sure if how they will implement it but cant they simply just supply subscribers with a discount code for the website so when they purchase they can just enter the code and the price automatically
is adjusted? I havent seen what happens when one buys a monthly pass for go since i use autoload but they can easily create a menu that enables users to subscribe to a monthly payment plan and just factor in
the discount via the code. Its really all just simple programming thats been used for years one sales websites.

The most likely option would be an annual pass purchasable through the same process as the monthly one on the Presto website or any customer service outlet. That's essentially what the MDP is--an annual pass. There'll be a TTC pass dropdown menu with Adult, Senior, Student, etc. monthly passes, and annual ones as well, if they continue to offer the MDP. I wouldn't be entirely surprised if they scrap the MDP--I was expecting them to do it regardless once Presto is online, but with the recent budget problems and the search for fare discounts to eliminate, I think this is an easy one for them to cut. Not that I agree, just saying I see it as the most likely outcome.

is adjusted? I havent seen what happens when one buys a monthly pass for go via the site since i use autoload but they can also easily easily create a menu that enables users to subscribe to a monthly payment plan and/or factor in

They don't relly need to put in any sort of code. Preto is able to handle montly pases curently the TTC just hasn't implemented it yet as they are waiting until the end of 2017 when all stations will have the new fare gates in place. At that point they will probably find out if the existing users of the discount pl;an need a presto card or if they have one get the information to add the metropass to it. You will at the same time be able to add one to a presto card from the reload machines or by going to the presto site to add one too it just like all of the other systems that have monthly pases.

They don't relly need to put in any sort of code. Preto is able to handle montly pases curently the TTC just hasn't implemented it yet as they are waiting until the end of 2017 when all stations will have the new fare gates in place. At that point they will probably find out if the existing users of the discount pl;an need a presto card or if they have one get the information to add the metropass to it. You will at the same time be able to add one to a presto card from the reload machines or by going to the presto site to add one too it just like all of the other systems that have monthly pases.

What about the MDP as they were talking about above? Its another layer on top of the monthly pass. That was what the code could be used towards.

Doesn't GO just adjust pricing once you reach a certain threshhold? It's not actually a monthly pass, it's based on user volume.

We've come a long way folks.

April:
HQoBjQv.png

June:
tbhw1kt.png

September:
dDH0Ydh.png

October:
02PytXN.png

mid-December:
TCEm1Wz.png

No doubt others have noted this, but it seems quite odd (and somewhat confusing) to me that when you make a transfer the BALANCE reads $0.

presto.JPG

It would surely make far more sense if, in the example above, the top line Balance column read $57.95.

Attachments

• presto.JPG
    presto.JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 208
What about the MDP as they were talking about above? Its another layer on top of the monthly pass. That was what the code could be used towards.

All that has been said in regards to both metropass and the MDP is it will be put onto Presto by the start of 2018. I think what happened was they had originally planed for everything to be ready for this year but decided to change out the fare gates ahead of time so it's delayed everything as they don't want to implement presto until all entrances/ exits have the new faregates at them.

Doesn't GO just adjust pricing once you reach a certain threshhold? It's not actually a monthly pass, it's based on user volume.
It's 21 uses in a 30 day period. After that you don't get charged. The other sytems using presto all have montly pases you can add to it, the TTC just doesn't want to do it until they are %100 ready to have it available at every entrance, exit, bus and streetcar. So far only the surface routes will be %100 presto ready by he end of the year. By the end of next year every entrance and exit of all of the subway stations will have the new fare gates installed as the Spadian extension will open with them in place as well.

Back