News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I doubt that it would work even if it charged my card. How would a POP inspector verify that I paid my fare? The AppleWatch isn't a PRESTO card and the credit card number is hidden from payment terminals; each tap generates a new number.
Interesting...it's not real-time validating Presto cards because the payment data is all embedded in the card. In this case, this would be the same as tapping a credit card with contactless payment on the reader. Chicago has a system that works this way, which was great. I just loaded a 3 day pass to my Visa card and then used it to enter/exit the system. I don't think it's ever PoP though.

I was also just thinking that the TTC should accelerate the rollout of Presto for the 192 airport rocket. That would really help make the service competitive with the UPX and avoid the fumbling with change/tokens that one has to do now.

No, it's equivalent to a token fare. To get student/senior rates, you have to get it set up that way in person. You can't do it online.

I think he meant to ask if tapping a credit card on a PRESTO terminal was equivalent to cash. No PRESTO card.

I don't believe that it's active yet. I don't see anything on my statement from tapping my AppleWatch. When it is active, I think that tapping a credit or debit card will be considered cash. I'm not sure that it's been defined yet since direct credit/debit tapping is still a year away.

Last night's ApplePay tapping left me curious though. I tapped it on a streetcar and it gave a "Success" sound. It didn't charge me though. I wonder if tapping my AppleWatch on a turnstile at the subway will let me in. If it does, that's clearly a loophole that would allow people with ApplePay and perhaps tap credit/debit cards to get into the system without paying.

Brad Ross has confirmed that a debit/credit tap for a single fare will be charged as cash ($3.25). Tapping a credit or debit card will be available in the new year and ApplePay will be available to purchase day passes. I'm guessing through the day pass app.

So, essentially, you won't want to use a debit or credit card to get on the system. You should always opt for PRESTO since you'll be charged the lowest cost (a token price). It also doesn't look like you'll be able to tap your AppleWatch or iPhone with ApplePay to replace your PRESTO card. As I expected, it's not possible to track them because ApplePay conceals credit card numbers, generating a new one for each tap.

Then come to think of it, there may be a way after all. The TTC was one of very few transit agencies in the world to partner with Apple to be available in transit directions for Apple Maps in iOS9 at launch. They were also in the first wave of named partners for ApplePay. There is an expectation that Apple will be expanding on Wallet in iOS10 to include all sorts of NFC applications. Today, besides credit and debit cards, an ApplePay partner can add a store credit/loyalty card (Hudson's Bay is expected to be one of the first in Canada). It's not far fetched to imagine that PRESTO and other transit cards could be added to Wallet in iOS10. In fact, it's a likely progression of the application and the TTC and Metrolinx are well positioned to become early partners.

Brad Ross has confirmed that a debit/credit tap for a single fare will be charged as cash ($3.25). Tapping a credit or debit card will be available in the new year and ApplePay will be available to purchase day passes. I'm guessing through the day pass app.

So, essentially, you won't want to use a debit or credit card to get on the system. You should always opt for PRESTO since you'll be charged the lowest cost (a token price). It also doesn't look like you'll be able to tap your AppleWatch or iPhone with ApplePay to replace your PRESTO card. As I expected, it's not possible to track them because ApplePay conceals credit card numbers, generating a new one for each tap.

Thats nothing new. When I used credit on the TTC's Presto machines in the past, it deducted the cash fare instead of token fare like Presto. The TTC accepted credit/debit through Presto years ago at Dundas and College stations.

I wonder if Presto will just come up with its own App then, to allow users to pay with their phone without using Apple Pay. Canadian Tire currently has its own app that lets you pay using a Canadian Tire Options card through their own app.

So I got on the 511 this morning and transferred to the 504. I got off at York, went to an appointment, did some last-minute shopping at the Eaton Centre, and then took the subway at the Queen Station. My Presto card was charged for the first tap on (the 511) but was not charged for the transfer (as expected), but I was also not charged for the tap on at Queen. I like this two hour window :)

So I got on the 511 this morning and transferred to the 504. I got off at York, went to an appointment, did some last-minute shopping at the Eaton Centre, and then took the subway at the Queen Station. My Presto card was charged for the first tap on (the 511) but was not charged for the transfer (as expected), but I was also not charged for the tap on at Queen. I like this two hour window :)

I have a family member who visits town frequently, I checked her transaction history at a SSK after some TTC Presto usage a couple of days ago and indeed a LOT of $0.00 taps where it made no sense. 2 hour transfer confirmed. Have yet to identify if there's some sort of "no tap on the same route twice in a row" exclusion rule, but given a couple of pages ago in this thread someone took Line 1 to Sheppard and right back, it doesn't seem so, unless for some reason that's only for surface vehicles.

Checked my card at a balance checker at Union after I exited the subway. I was surprised it detected I had time left for another trip on the TTC.

Attachments

• IMG_20151221_120928.jpg
    IMG_20151221_120928.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 271
Just checked my balance after using it yesterday and noticed the same thing... My trip back home was free!

Capture.JPG

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 514
Checked my card at a balance checker at Union after I exited the subway. I was surprised it detected I had time left for another trip on the TTC.
You had 62 minutes left. How long had it been since you tapped on? 28 minutes? 58 minutes? 118 minutes?

It's very much looking like a 2-hour transfer. Will be interesting to see what happens when you tap into the same route twice or thrice quickly. I'm sure I'll get some good data on that once the kids are back in school, with drop-offs.

Back