News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

The angled placement is an improvement over the first gen readers installed on the turnstyles, though still inferior to placing it at the top.

AoD

The angled placement is an improvement over the first gen readers installed on the turnstyles, though still inferior to placing it at the top.

AoD

Agreed, it's still an awkward location. But who knows how long it'll take to install all the new fare gates.

AoD

Are these units more sensitive compared to the old ones? Ive had times where it took a few tries or a couple more seconds than normal for the readers to detect my card through my wallet.
Also does anyone know when they will start installing the new gates? Are they going to phase it in after they finish doing all the stations or is it going to start at a certain batch?

From the article you linked.

The bus was always relatively expensive and, yet, 10 years ago carried 400,000 passengers. On a service with 40 minute frequencies.

The precipitous drop to 190k is what led to the cancellation....but the reasons cited for the drop are very interesting and, I would think, positive indicators for UPe. It was simply taking too long to get to the airport. With all of the traffic congestion and construction, their trip times had increased by 30 minutes a ride. Yes, the construction and traffic delays alone were more than the total trip time on UPe. Trip times on the bus had increased to over an hour on weekdays.

It was probably off-peak, or 'shoulder-peak' trip times increasing that killed it. All studies I have read suggest peak hour Gardiner traffic has been steady for 20 years, but the off-peak travel is what is growing. They probably could not maintain a 40 minute frequency without a few more coaches and that would flip it to being not sufficiently profitable.

Are these units more sensitive compared to the old ones? Ive had times where it took a few tries or a couple more seconds than normal for the readers to detect my card through my wallet.
Also does anyone know when they will start installing the new gates? Are they going to phase it in after they finish doing all the stations or is it going to start at a certain batch?

Shortly after getting Presto when it first rolled out, I stopped leaving it in my wallet when tapping. Seemed that the readers were getting confused by other RFID cards (credit card etc.) I've had some readers, usually on MiWay buses, take a few attempts to read...but this new one at Dundas West was instant (but then again..sample size = 1, so far).

The gates at Dundas West are brand new. Just installed this year.

Is this new? If so, glad to hear that installations are happening.

Yes. I don't think it was there yesterday morning or last week...unless I've been particularly unobservant these last few mornings.

I find my Presto to be a little wonky - sometimes it'd register at a distance and sometimes it wouldn't respond with multiple taps. I find that having a space of about 5mm (eyeballing) works best.

AoD

I tapped on with Presto at Dundas West this morning.

Those machines are sexy. It'll also probably easier to actually read the card value after tapping. The old reader placements made it dark and hard to read regularly.

Yes. I don't think it was there yesterday morning or last week...unless I've been particularly unobservant these last few mornings.

Thanks. I wonder if the timing is related to the UPX stop opening there in a month.

Thanks. I wonder if the timing is related to the UPX stop opening there in a month.

I expect so. Though I wonder why they didn't prioritize this one earlier as it was already a GO connection.

Back