News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Is anyone able to xplain the bizarre sections of concrete everywhere with chunks of lawn breaking them up? This series of design features have always mystified me.
"Modern Futuristic Park Design". I don't mind it personally but I hope that more larger parks with big continuous fields pop up in the area. Warehouse Park should have this and a soccer pitch + basketball courts imo

Bssketball courts, yes, soccer pitch, no. I'd much rather see smaller amenities that will draw more people on average. Playground, picnic areas, water features, maybe splash park, washroom facilities, skate park, skating rink. Now this might be cheesy but It would be cool if somewhere there was an old fashion carousel. Those things would be cool for the Warehouse district park.

Is anyone able to xplain the bizarre sections of concrete everywhere with chunks of lawn breaking them up? This series of design features have always mystified me.
I think it's a style thing. Macewan Station (of similar vintage, a couple years older) also has them. personally, they annoy the crap out of me. we have a downtown that's been brutally paved over, and what greenspace we have is studded with these stupid things? just have a lawn like a normal person!! grrrRRrr.
sorry, i get irrationally mad at things like that. Partially because Macewan station has aged very poorly, including the concrete heaving badly. so the random squares design looks even worse.
tbh i think there could have been less concrete, more grass, and more space dedicated to the dog park in this space. But the seating is nice!

Let's think creatively for a second shall we?? Obviously I'm not talking about a suburban 4-acre soccer field in the middle of downtown. You could have a one-net type situation in a fairly small patch of grass or even 2 small nets and have a mini-soccer set up. I'd be okay if they didn't put it in but I also think it could be a hit and something unique to this park!

Let's think creatively for a second shall we?? Obviously I'm not talking about a suburban 4-acre soccer football field in the middle of downtown. You could have a one-net type situation in a fairly small patch of grass or even 2 small nets and have a mini-soccer football set up. I'd be okay if they didn't put it in but I also think it could be a hit and something unique to this park!

We could get a Futsal court. It's essentially a small football court very popular in South America and Europe. It is the same size as a Basketball or Volleyball court, it's easy to maintain, can be repurposed if needed. Actually, in Brazil, most public plazas will have a multiuse court that houses Basketball, Volleyball and Futsal
caminhos-lapa-projeto-15.jpg

We could get a Futsal court. It's essentially a small football court very popular in South America and Europe. It is the same size as a Basketball or Volleyball court, it's easy to maintain, can be repurposed if needed. Actually, in Brazil, most public plazas will have a multiuse court that houses Basketball, Volleyball and Futsal
caminhos-lapa-projeto-15.jpg
^THISS, exactly what I'm talkin about! Multi-use courts are a great idea for this park 😀

^THISS, exactly what I'm talkin about! Multi-use courts are a great idea for this park 😀
No need to overcomplicate things, sometimes. London is packed with these, and they even have multipurpose that includes tennis and badminton courts as well (not necessarily all-in-one, but paired up, between volleyball, basketball, futsal, tennis and badminton.
Gives you a good bang for the buck, can look really nice and, if you wanna go fancy and spend a few extra dollars, you can cover them so it is usable even with rainy/snowy weather

I doubt we'd ever see something like that as it probably won't fit the overarching "aesthetic" of the park, but something like that would be a huge draw to the park. And would be an amazing amenity for anyone living downtown with kids.

There's a basketball court at the jr high near my place, during nice weather there's almost always tons of people there playing pickup games after hours.

Also, god something like this would have been amazing in the space of that little pocket park on 104th.

I doubt we'd ever see something like that as it probably won't fit the overarching "aesthetic" of the park, but something like that would be a huge draw to the park. And would be an amazing amenity for anyone living downtown with kids.

There's a basketball court at the jr high near my place, during nice weather there's almost always tons of people there playing pickup games after hours.

Also, god something like this would have been amazing in the space of that little pocket park on 104th.
I'd ask the city planning what they think is more important, having an "aesthetic" park, or actually giving people more reasons to visit the park and surrounding area rather than just the fact that it's a park?

My brother and I out for our weekly walk a couple weeks ago and we had to stop for some R&R. I love this little pavilion and surrounding area.
View attachment 359344View attachment 359345
This project reminded me of the wonders a little bit of water can do for aesthetic and mental health! More please! This is one of the reasons I'm excited for the Groat area of the Touch the Water concept!

If you look at Edmonton from satellite imagery, you can see a distinct cutoff between:
1. Mature neighbourhoods with big trees
2. Older suburbs with no ponds
3. Newer suburbs with ponds (stormwater management "facilities")

e.g. 137 and 153 Ave on the north side around 97 St cut off 2 and 3. Yellowhead splits 1 and 2.

Back