News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Major Development Permit
Reference Id:Job No 479623673-002
Description:Construction of (a) new building(s)
Plan 9322003 Blk 1A Lot 3A
Applicant:SPAN ARCHITECTURE INC
Create Date:2023/07/27
Neighbourhood:CALGARY TRAIL SOUTH
I saw surveyors on that plot a couple weeks ago. Makes sense seeing this permit now.

Edit - given the location and looking at SPAN's website I am guessing this will be a generic looking commercial building:

2E6C4398-ACBD-4E4F-B89E-522CB6D60DFF_1_102_o.jpeg

Saw in yellowbird beside century park

That is good news. I think it was a mistake to consider closing this location. I don't think the people who run HBC actually realize quite how big this city is.

Yes, there are other Bay Stores to go to, but say if you are north of 137 Ave you are not probably going to bother to go all the way to the next closest one.

Likewise, I used to go to the downtown one regularly which was nearby for me. Since it closed, I seldom go to the Bay anymore.

Boxcar coffee shop just opened in Calder last week. I checked it out today and was pretty amazed with the look of the space and their tasty treats. Definitely try the tres leches cake and the horchata popsicle! Here’s some photos:

View attachment 495795View attachment 495796View attachment 495797View attachment 495798View attachment 495799View attachment 495800View attachment 495801View attachment 495802
Stopped by today for coffee and a Rosetta cookie. Delicious.

Apparently the new SW Hospital is indeed in "pre-design" phase. Didn't know the NW Upgrader was going to do subsequent phases worth 8.5B? CNRL's Pike for 4.7B? Thought that project was dead. Guess what folks? All this stuff gets built in the YEG area.

Apparently the new SW Hospital is indeed in "pre-design" phase. Didn't know the NW Upgrader was going to do subsequent phases worth 8.5B? CNRL's Pike for 4.7B? Thought that project was dead. Guess what folks? All this stuff gets built in the YEG area.
Don't sit on your laurels though

Competition is omnipresent

I wonder the accuracy of that list... I haven't heard anything about that Sinocan upgrader in years and same with Pike aside from CNRL buying out Devon and later BP.

I wonder the accuracy of that list... I haven't heard anything about that Sinocan upgrader in years and same with Pike aside from CNRL buying out Devon and later BP.

It’s not accurate at all. Number one on the list is a twenty two billion dollar hyper loop.

I wouldn’t put much stock in that list. (Some of those projects are legitimate of course.)

Last edited:
Why do we keep allowing developments like this? Awful urban design in every way? Just because it's in the suburbs doesn't mean they shouldn't have to put at least some effort in.
Bad, cheap, density in suburbs also makes people think all density is bad. Living in a nice building in Oliver vs a crappy apartment in secord gives you very different perspectives. The tradeoffs of density should be less space for more walkability, vibrancy, amenities, less car use, better transit, etc. all these suburban spots are just all the negatives of density plus the negatives of suburbs combined haha.

Back