News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I'd jist like to say that I've been reading this thread daily since around page 99 or so and I've really been enjoying it! Thank-you to everyone for their contributions! I hope that once I move to Toronto this spring, I'll be able to contribute somehow.

Hi and welcome ChrisR. Hope your move goes smoothly.

February 10 addition.

Then: Madison Theatre, Bloor street west. 1919.

Madison1919.jpg

Now: November 2009.

DSC_0047-1.jpg

http://cinematreasures.org/theater/866/

One of the earliest, if not the earliest club is the Toronto and North York Hunt (TNYH). They have been around since 1843. Around 1933 the club split and the fox hunting enthusiasts continued with the Toronto and North York Hunt, and other members who were more interested in golf and parties formed the Toronto Hunt Club, which is in Scarborough and still exists. TNYH has been gradually moving North where they can continue their hunting and foxhound breeding activities and they are now in Creemore, Ontario. Another tidbit - Lady Eaton was a member and big supporter of the TNYH.

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/2184816/History-of-the-Toronto-and-North-York-Hunt-(for-MFHA-)

The other example of the hunt is the Eglinton Hunt. Isn't there a group of townhouses where they used to be on Avenue Road, just north of Eglinton on the East side...they used to be hunt property...no? Can anyone confirm this?

This is correct, the old clubhouse facade has been integrated into the townhouses.

Jeepers! Why did they replace the Madison with a building that looks like the back of a building? You can see some "design" elements in the Bloor facade, but they're obscured by grime, bland brick, and insensitive application of utility structures.

February 11 addition.

Then: Nassau street. William Houston Public School. Constructed 1925. Then various iterations including a stint as part of OCAD, then George Brown College.

williamhoustonpublicschoollatergeob.jpg

Now: December 2009. Kensington Market Lofts

DSC_0057.jpg

Originally Posted by Aladone View Post

... I love to see the areas where I grew up in before they became the T-dots suburbs. I got a few from my hood the jane finch area that I have to dig up and post. These are the areas where the most change has occured in our city over the last 60 years...

This is the Jane and Finch I remember as a young child - a fresh, eager young suburb. By the time I got a part-time job at Towers at this intersection in the early 70s, it was already starting its notorious downhill slide.

f0217_s0249_fl0100_it0001.jpg

This is the Jane and Finch I remember as a young child - a fresh, eager young suburb. By the time I got a part-time job at Towers at this intersection in the early 70s, it was already starting its notorious downhill slide.

miss sadie, which way are we looking here? Thanks!

Help needed. I'm stumped. Where was this?

f0124_fl0001_id0142.jpg

Having grown up there all my life, I beleive its Finch looking east just west of Jane. The sign that says university something is where the Palasaides - San Romanoway is going to be built and over the the right of the pic, that open space will become Jane and Finch Mall. see first "now" photo below.

I remember Towers! I use to live at 5 Sanromanoway. My parents would send me to food city to buy milk all the time.

The second one below is finch looking west just east of jane. Looking towards the Hwy 400. The Hydro lines to the right suggest this as that is where they are also today. See second "now" Photo below.

f0217_s0249_fl0100_it0003.jpg

4347180812_69eb2267e4_o.jpg

Last edited:
Having grown up there all my life, I beleive its Finch looking east just west of Jane. The sign that says university something is where the Palasaides - San Romanoway is going to be built and over the the right of the pic, that open space will become Jane and Finch Mall.

I remember Towers! I use to live at 5 Sanromanoway. My parents would send me to food city to buy milk all the time.

I suppose Jane Finch Mall has been made obsolete by York Gate across the street. I presume it hasn't suffered the fate of West Finch Mall just down the road at Finch and Weston - that mall's completely gone and remains a ghostly vacant lot. Even the McDonald's suffered the same fate as the one at Wilson and Dufferin. I met my ex-husband at a restaurant in West Finch Mall. I wonder if the mall crumbled before or after my marriage did. :eek:

Last edited:
Actually both malls are doing pretty well. They both cater towards the ethnic groups in the area. Jane and finch mall is not going anywhere for a long while. It serves as a great community centre (somewhat) for the residents. Althopugh the area gets a bad wrap the malls are going to be okay!

I suppose Jane Finch Mall has been made obsolete by York Gate across the street.

If anything, it's more vice versa: Jane Finch has endured and adapted, while York Gate turned out to be something of a white elephant which had to be largely adapted to college and "community services" purposes...

Speaking of Jane Street...

Looking north up Jane Street south of Finch Avenue, 1965, 2009

4298133632_a93ea79b25_b.jpg

Looking south down Jane Street south of Finch Avenue, 1965, 2009 (same location)

4298133430_433a5100ef_b.jpg

Back