News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

there are a number of developments up there that, in a more perfect world, would be more appreciated than they are. i always loved Shoreham Court. when it was completed (71-72?) it looked VERY futuristic, especially since there was very little development surrounding it; but it appears to be a serious dive now, what with the Shoreshot Crips and all the rest of it...

6f8024ce.png

35d34601.png

5000c242.png

5bcfe5f2.png

9cbb82ad.png

a1ac753f.png

Toronto's suburbs aren't lacking in interesting modern architecture. Too bad Shoreham has deteriorated physically and socially like that.

Those 1965 Jane Street pictures are quite amazing. Thanks to all for posting them. It makes you realize how quickly things have changed in this city.

Thirty years before these pictures, Bathurst Street north of Eglinton was also semi-rural. The rapidity of post-war development was quite extraordinary:

f0207_s1251_it0021.jpg

Bathurst looking north from the Old Forest Hill Road bridge 1934:

bathurstroselawn1934.jpg

1935:

bathurstnfromFHbridge1935.jpg

1960:

bathurst1960-1.jpg

At Roselawn 1960:

bathroselawn1960b.jpg

bathroselawn1960a.jpg

At Briar Hill:

bathbriarhill.jpg

Looking south from Roselawn:

1934:

bathurstroselawnsouth1934.jpg

1960:

bathurst.jpg

Looking down Shallmar Blvd., east of Bathurst. On the right is the Marquesa (first air-conditioned apt. on Bathurst plus dishwashers); down the street were apartments with names like Versailles Court, the Del Prado, Monticello and the Vincennes:

shallmar2.jpg

shallmar.jpg

Things got a bit more suburban when you got to Glencairn (you were now in the Township of North York). Looking north on Bathurst:

bathglencairn.jpg

Looking south on Bathurst from just north of Glencairn (the Loblaws on the left is now a Shoppers Drug Mart):

bathurstglencairn.jpg

Last edited:
Looking south on Bathurst from just north of Glencairn (the Loblaws on the left is now a Shoppers Drug Mart):

bathurstglencairn.jpg

...and on the right, the then-presumably-spanking-new "Harold The Jewellery Buyer" building. (Probably currently the most "familiar" 50s curtain-wall office building in Toronto by default.)

Markham Street, just south of Honest Ed's. The totem pole was there when I arrived in 1970.

Yes, and is that silver sign obscuring the sign for Gaston's, a Toronto dining fixture at the time?

Thanks guys!

February 12 addition.

Then: "193-? Item is an image of Crawford Street Public School located on the west side of Crawford St. between Adelaide St. W. and Queen St. W."

CrawfordpublicschoolWsidebetweenAde.jpg

Now: December 2009.

DSC_0052-1.jpg

Interesting how they used the hexagon windows and bays in the new homes, borrowing (?) some of the school features. The front doors of these homes could use more presence: I perceive the need for a small porch.

Interesting how they used the hexagon windows and bays in the new homes, borrowing (?) some of the school features. The front doors of these homes could use more presence: I perceive the need for a small porch.

That's an understatement. If you would all excuse me, I'd like to get a bit hysterical.

Those rubbish steel doors and cheap windows really ruin what could have been a passable attempt at a more traditional style. It's the total lack of attention to detail that ruins these sorts of buildings for me. No porch, no steps, cheap doors, non-sensical brickwork (keystones on a soldier course sitting on a lintel?), poor glazing choices, etc.

It's no wonder people deride attempts to build traditional or vernacular houses when this is the result. It is, to me, far more offensive than the faux-chateau and McMansion dreck. At least they are in and of themselves a sort of movement (an atrocious one, but one none the less) with some cohesiveness to the misery. But these things, though they aren't the worst out there, really get under my skin.

The detail I noticed was the prominently situated hydro meters.

That building actually *existed* into the 80s, didn't it?

adma, I don't know myself. I Googled, no results.

"keystones on a soldier course sitting on a lintel?"

Thanks Earlscourt, thanks to you and others here, my architectural vocabulary and eye is getting better with each passing day. :)

February 13 addition.

Then: Toronto's Union Station. Picture taken from the side garden of the Queen's Hotel. Toronto Archive photo caption: "1925 or 6?"

fo1244_f1244_it3141.jpg

Now: November 2009. Royal York Hotel on the right.

DSC_0037.jpg

Those rubbish steel doors and cheap windows really ruin what could have been a passable attempt at a more traditional style. It's the total lack of attention to detail that ruins these sorts of buildings for me. No porch, no steps, cheap doors, non-sensical brickwork (keystones on a soldier course sitting on a lintel?), poor glazing choices, etc.

It's no wonder people deride attempts to build traditional or vernacular houses when this is the result. It is, to me, far more offensive than the faux-chateau and McMansion dreck. At least they are in and of themselves a sort of movement (an atrocious one, but one none the less) with some cohesiveness to the misery. But these things, though they aren't the worst out there, really get under my skin.

It's almost as if they were gearing up to give us the Full Monty of Faux when The Cheapening struck and we got cheated out of our doodads and pippypoos. The folks who put up the blue fleur-de-lis fence are trying their darndest to compensate for their loss, though.

It's almost as if they were gearing up to give us the Full Monty of Faux when The Cheapening struck and we got cheated out of our doodads and pippypoos. The folks who put up the blue fleur-de-lis fence are trying their darndest to compensate for their loss, though.

Try as they might, with the steel fence, they covered their front yard with those concrete pavoirs.

I enjoyed the references in your post, Mr. Shocker.

Thanks again for all the pics and info on the Jane/Finch area and Bathurst Street (gotta love all those apt. blocks).

Can someone clear up my confusion of this "then" pic? Kipling Avenue starts at Lakeshore to the south and ends just north of Steeles (at a bus loop). Since this is not Lakeshore and doesn't appear to be in the vicinity of Steeles, what is this intersection?

kipling.jpg

Almost certainly looks like something within Rexdale, though we'd have to check which street that is...

Thanks again for all the pics and info on the Jane/Finch area and Bathurst Street (gotta love all those apt. blocks).

Can someone clear up my confusion of this "then" pic? Kipling Avenue starts at Lakeshore to the south and ends just north of Steeles (at a bus loop). Since this is not Lakeshore and doesn't appear to be in the vicinity of Steeles, what is this intersection?

kipling.jpg

Kipling and Brookmere Road, houses now barely visible for the trees:

brookmere1.jpg

brookmere2.jpg

Back