News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

April 15 addition.

Another Church street and Esplanade view. This is a few years later when landfill started moving the shoreline south.

s0372_ss0079_it0292.jpg

s0372_ss0079_it0675.jpg

Now. March 2010.

DSC_0048-3.jpg

City of Toronto Archives on Flickr

Hi Toronto history fans -
I just got this from the City of Toronto Archives list and thought it was worth sharing...

"The City of Toronto has created a new Flickr site at

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48096488@N03/

or you can find us at "Toronto History"

We have posted 125 historical images from the City of Toronto Archives' collection of over 1.2 million photographs. We'll be adding more every month.

Please leave us your comments, suggestions and ideas!"

Hi Toronto history fans -
I just got this from the City of Toronto Archives list and thought it was worth sharing...

"The City of Toronto has created a new Flickr site at

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48096488@N03/

or you can find us at "Toronto History"

We have posted 125 historical images from the City of Toronto Archives' collection of over 1.2 million photographs. We'll be adding more every month.

Please leave us your comments, suggestions and ideas!"

An inspired idea; posting them to a Flickr album. Thanks FURNIOJO.

April 16 addition.

Then... September 26, 1899. Spadina and College, looking N. This has been a very popular Then photo over the years. I finally got to this intersection on the flimsy excuse that I needed a bowl of Pho.

s0376_fl0002_it0049.jpg

DSC_0049-2.jpg

If the then shot is the location of the now shot then you are looking at Cummer/Drewery and not Senlac. BTW, Senlac does not meet Yonge. Its 1 KM to the west running parallel to Yonge.

If the then shot is the location of the now shot then you are looking at Cummer/Drewery and not Senlac. BTW, Senlac does not meet Yonge. Its 1 KM to the west running parallel to Yonge.

My bad; it's Cummer/Drewry, thanks Ed007. Don't know why Senlac popped into my head. :(

April 18 addition.

Then: Some of you may remember this down on Lakeshore Blvd.

lanc.jpg

Now: April 2010. Undergoing restoration at the Toronto Aerospace Museum in Downsview Park.

lanc2.jpg

With regards to the Church Street wharf (from the Ontario Archives):

churchships.jpg

Title: Sailing ships S.H. Dunn, St. Louis and Reuben Dowd at the foot of Church Street, Toronto
Date: [ca. 1908]
Place: Toronto (Ont.)
Creator: Photographer unknown. Rowley Murphy collection.

thecharioteer: I Googled "Reuben Dowd". By 1920 she was a wreck in our harbour; a nuisance that needed to be dealt with.

thedeepend: I wonder if that house just above the heads of the two men is still there.

Everyone: It's nice out; don't spend all day here; get some vitamin D. :)

April 19 addition.

Looking at the NE corner of St. Clair E. and Mt. Pleasant.

s0071_it4339.jpg

Now: February 2010. AS far as I can tell, the loop trackage is still there; they just threw a layer of soil over them.

CSC_0008.jpg

Only the loop trackage is still there, under the grass of course

The rest of the track is now removed from a recent repaving of that intersection. Went by it when our family was heading over to Mt. Pleasant Cemetary. Before the repaving, you could easily see the St. Clair to Mt Pleasant curve tracks..

While I know that nowadays a return to cobblestone and brick paving is impractical for most of our streets, that Withrow/Logan shot makes me wish that all of our older residential streets were cobble/brick. The traffic is generally slower and lower in volume, so it works for practicality reasons, and it just suits the narrow streets lined with historic homes so well. Sadly I don't think we'll see much in the way of reinstating brick paving anytime soon, so I'll have to make do with what little remains. That shot has given me another place to check out, as I'm always trying to find roads paved in materials other than concrete/asphalt.

Keep up the good work Mustapha, and our other contributors, I can't say enough how much I love this thread.

Only the loop trackage is still there, under the grass of course

The rest of the track is now removed from a recent repaving of that intersection. Went by it when our family was heading over to Mt. Pleasant Cemetary. Before the repaving, you could easily see the St. Clair to Mt Pleasant curve tracks..

Funny. I only noticed the nicely repaved Mt. Pleasant the other day. It only took two decades or so for them to finally get around to cleaning that up.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the loop was shut down when the TTC moved to its new longer street cars meaning that it was impossible for the new cars to actually utilize that loop.

db

Back