News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Attachments

• Montreal.jpg
    Montreal.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 342
This change of scenery in Montreal is a real eye-opener - found at: (http://spacingmontreal.ca/)

I've seen those shots in the Flickr albums link that you posted a few weeks ago - good grief, I think I've viewed all of them. :) There are also lots of London UK and to a lesser extent, UK Then and Nows. Some of the UK "Nows" have "Blitzed" in the description.

November 2 addition.

Then. October 20, 1919. 120 Queen East.

s0372_ss0058_it0839.jpg

Now. June 2010. This scene and the entire block behind me all the way to Sherbourne is long gone. Moss Park Armoury [1964-] sits out of picture to our right and behind the fence.

The "Robertson's Candies" sign on the left side of the Then is still there; now hidden by a recent condominium. The 19th century section of Queen street along this stretch still exists in part, but only on the south side of the street.

DSC_0581.jpg

November 4 addition.

East end of Queen street this time...

Then. Dec. 11 1934. Looking at the Fox Theatre.

s0372_ss0058_it1370.jpg

Now. September 2010.

DSC_0687.jpg

We often comment on the rapidity of change in Toronto.
That's why the changes in this famous Canadian city (112 years ago) caught my attention.

DawsonCityinoneyear1898.jpg

November 5 addition.

Then. May 26 1916. King looking W at Massey.

s0372_ss0058_it0552.jpg

Now. August 2010. The old Massey Harris executive office building is still there on the left - now a condo [915 King W]. Farm implement maker Massey Harris had their factories in this area for most of the 20th century. For awhile in the 70s Conrad Black controlled it.

DSC_0502.jpg

November 5 addition.

Then. May 26 1916. King looking W at Massey.
Now. August 2010. The old Massey Harris executive office building is still there on the left - now a condo [915 King W]. Farm implement maker Massey Harris had their factories in this area for most of the 20th century. For awhile in the 70s Conrad Black controlled it.

The contemporary image is clearly better this time. I see elegant new midrise buildings on the right, a red brick heritage gem on the left, and lots of healthy trees. It's a great combination, though more retail would have been nice.

Though more retention of the old would have been fine as well (like that functionalist concrete thing in the background of the old shot, which lasted into the 1990s)

There were 2 under-road passages , both from the four story building on the right. (Building 55.)

One went to building 43 and the south-plant tunnel system, the other, east to building 73, the Machine Shop.

The east tunnel could take an auto, but I say that only as a comparison. Roll-down fire doors, of course!

Regards,
J T

Tunnel system? Please expatiate.

"Tunnel system? Please expatiate." QUOTE. Earlscourt _Lad.

Massey remains on King Street!

(Every tyme that I go to bed, I see Massey Ferguson!)

I will reply later, cobwebs continue . . .

Regards,
J T

! ! ! ! ! . . . .

WOW! I have been looking for one of those for YEARS.

(The one I have is 43"x74" framed, from 1963.)

Regards,
J T

NOW SOLD TO THE SITTER MASSEY MEMORIES MUSEUM.
HAGERSVILLE, ONTARIO.

Last edited:
I don"t want to "look a gift-horse in the mouth", but where, may I ask are the east + west views?

Regards,
j t

Back