News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Undoubtedly JT has better info on this, but some of the Massey Harris tunnels are indicated in this detailed Goad’s plan from March 1909:

http://data2.archives.ca/e/e431/e010761956-v8.jpg

I have been silent on the "tunnels" because I thought JT was just messin' with us. :) I said to myself; 'yeah, right, that was Lost episode 14, or was it X-Files'?

Thank you wwwebster for that great map.

I wonder what demolition crews find sometimes during their work. Quite awhile back in this thread, Goldie posted his picture of a safe lying in the rubble of Rossin House.

I remember reading in the papers when the foundation for SkyDome was being excavated that a sealed room was discovered complete with desk, chair and lamp.

I was looking down into the very early stage of the excavation for "Aura" at Yonge and Gerrard. They had gone down about six feet - it had been a parking lot for decades - and there were basement walls of the long gone buildings.

Last edited:
I don"t want to "look a gift-horse in the mouth", but where, may I ask are the east + west views?

Regards,
j t

Hee--eey,... I'll get right on that, ok? :)

November 6 addition.

Here is a Simpsons ad, courtesy of my good friend Miss "V". It shows the pedestrian bridge that used to span from Simpsons [it's the Queen street Bay store now] across Richmond to a parking garage.

I know there is a picture of it at the online Toronto Archives - I've seen it - but I can't find it now.

In the meantime, a bit of Mad Men era advertising for you to enjoy.

Simpsons.jpg

"I remember reading in the papers when the foundation for SkyDome was being excavated that a sealed room was discovered complete with desk, chair and lamp." QUOTE. Mustapha.

I am, no doubt, going to blow you away with what I am about to tell you . . .

"STEAMPIPE JOE", (I do not remember his real name.) lived in the Toronto Rail Yard since the late 40's/early 50s. He was call "STEAMPIPE", due to the fact that he lived in one of the

steam vaults where the CN Tower now is. He was moved by the RR Police/workmen to the west side of Spadina Avenue into a spare coach, until one of the frame office buildings (shack)

was vacated by the RR staff. No water, no power, no rent! I met "STEAMPIPE", mid 80's; he was as clean as he could be, the shack - orderly. Drinking problem - yes, but not that overdone,

and no drugs, tobacco being the exception. A picture of him is in the archives under a different name - suprised me when I saw it! The last tyme of our meeting was on Yonge Street,

north of Gerrard. He had been moved, by force, in all likelyhood, to the senior's RESIDENCE just up the street. Did he survive the change? I think not.

Was the above described room his? We will never know.

Joe was a friend of mine.

Regards,
j t

Last edited:
Having purused the www.collectionscanada.gc.ca site for the better part of this pm + finding not a trace of any HEIRS SURVEY re Massey or any other property,

I thougt it of no use to comment on "The Tunnels", until that tyme of my "discovery", thereof. "A picture paints a thousand words". May wwwebster enlighten

us on the upcoming "Day of the Sun".

Regards,
J T

November 6 addition.

Here is a Simpsons ad, courtesy of my good friend Miss "V". It shows the pedestrian bridge that used to span from Simpsons [it's the Queen street Bay store now] across Richmond to a parking garage.

I know there is a picture of it at the online Toronto Archives - I've seen it - but I can't find it now.

f0124_fl0003_id0147.jpg

---

Forgot how the garage/bridge still stood after Kresge was rebuilt into its present 80s-tech form...

I wonder what demolition crews find sometimes during their work. Quite awhile back in this thread, Goldie posted his picture of a safe lying in the rubble of Rossin House.

I remember reading in the papers when the foundation for SkyDome was being excavated that a sealed room was discovered complete with desk, chair and lamp.

demolition-withsafe.jpg

guildinn.jpg

Mustapha's speculation regarding interesting finds in demolition sites appeals to my sence of adventure.
An old bathtub is certainly not so interesting as a large, colourful safe but there's hope for future discoveries.
I'd like to recomment to all builders and renovators that they remember to enclose "Time Capsules" inside the walls of buildings.
Wouldn't it be great if, when the condos of today are demolished, wonderful artifacts suddenly appear in the ruins?
I've hidden a 'Time Capsule' in a renovated wall in my home with the expectation that a demolition crew (some day) will be pleasantly surprised.

Anna, thank you for that picture - and for being such a diplomat. I remember now that I did a Then and Now for that location. :) So much for mental filing.

November 7 addition.

Then. "Avenue Road hill looking S from Benvenuto".
[Benvenuto being the hilltop home of William Mackenzie, railway entrepreneur.]
Photo notes: "Item consists of one photograph. A note says that there are no cars because of gasoline conserving on a Sunday afternoon. This could place the date during World War I."

f1244_it7072.jpg

Now. August 2010. Same view. We are just S of Edmund street.

DSC_0550.jpg

1973. "She Cried Murder". (film) Telly Savalas. Toronto Subway. Ontario Place. Three minutes of your time. Priceless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_DsxU-QcEs

"She Cried Murder":

Osgoode station was gleaming, as was the Cinesphere.

Also nice to see Telly Savalas in T.O. Fantastic actor. Great screen presence.

Anna, thank you for that picture - and for being such a diplomat. I remember now that I did a Then and Now for that location. :) So much for mental filing.

Didn't remember that either :p- I just figured it would be in one of my favourite collections - "Buildings, Part 3"...

Forgot how the garage/bridge still stood after Kresge was rebuilt into its present 80s-tech form...

With this one
f0124_fl0003_id0088.jpg

and this one.
f0124_fl0003_id0136.jpg

Note, too, in that brief interrim, the classically-pillared Premier Trust next door also bit the dust. (And funny to be reminded of the twilight of the cigarette billboard.)

Note, too, in that brief interrim, the classically-pillared Premier Trust next door also bit the dust. (And funny to be reminded of the twilight of the cigarette billboard.)

I had no idea that Kresge's was underneath that building at Yonge & Richmond.

Lots of photos of the same general vicinity over at the "Evocative Images of Lost Toronto" thread.
richmondwest1927.jpg

I'm still having problems remembering whether that was a total demo job or a rebuild using the old skeleton--though the similar scale suggests the latter possibility...

I'm still having problems remembering whether that was a total demo job or a rebuild using the old skeleton--though the similar scale suggests the latter possibility...

i distinctly remember that they used the old skeleton...

Back