News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

(Could be) S/W corner of Wellington and University.

If it is, the building is still there, albeit with a different skin applied by O + Y during the 70's.

Regards,
J T

You may be right, JT, as seen in this aerial from 1930:

aerial1930a.jpg

Close-up:
aerial1930a-1.jpg

That cute house next to the drug store is at 405 Woodbine Ave.

I hate to disagree, and maybe once that WAS 405 Woodbine Ave. as the writing on the photo suggests, but it is now 595 Woodbine (at Duvernet) with a bright yellow door (Google Street view is amazing). There are a few photos of that corner from July 26th through August 10th, 1921 (maybe they were in preparation for paving?) You can see them all on my Upper Beach historic photos page.

Mustapha, you'll have to decide how long your mystery location remained a mystery now!

Sweet smell of success!

In the BlogTO post on Toronto of the 1890s, I think I have ID'd a photo of Queen East.

1891:
20110103-1891-Twelve_horse_team_pulling_snow_sweeper.jpg

Today (287-301 Queen St E):
Google Map: http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&q=...=l1aVUj9KBDTV_3Tpi5dYRA&cbp=12,200.06,,0,2.94

Can't take a photo because I'm not even in Canada anymore. The 2-storey rowhouses are gone, but the 3-storey commercial units remain. Note the gables, mansard, and pattern of 4+1 small/large top floor windows on the rightmost row. While Ontario Paint & Wallpaper continues strong the other retail in these buildings seems to turn over constantly with truly awful shops. Further east, near Queen & Sherbourne, there is more life (the new flower shop EcoStems is a winner, as is well-done vintage shop Upside Dive).

This is a sweet discovery. I've seen that picture too. Sometimes I should spend more time looking up. :) Thank you UserNameToronto.

Thanks for sharing the Woodbridge comparisons, Toronto Macedonian. It's not easy finding some of those older photos online.

Yes, I agree. Thank you Toronto Macedonian. It's a surprise of the pleasant kind to see those old - very old - hotels and house preserved.

I hate to disagree, and maybe once that WAS 405 Woodbine Ave. as the writing on the photo suggests, but it is now 595 Woodbine (at Duvernet) with a bright yellow door (Google Street view is amazing). There are a few photos of that corner from July 26th through August 10th, 1921 (maybe they were in preparation for paving?) You can see them all on my Upper Beach historic photos page.

Mustapha, you'll have to decide how long your mystery location remained a mystery now!

Thanks to your sharp eye, seemsartless, the owner of the yellow doored house is no longer in danger of having their mail mis-routed. :)

Thanks JT and thecharioteer, for identifying that building. Working from black and white aerial pictures can't be easy.

January 6 addition.

Then. "July 26, 1921. Woodbine NE corner Corley."

s0372_ss0003_it0328.jpg

Now. December 2010.

DSC_0933.jpg

Thanks JT and thecharioteer, for identifying that building. Working from black and white aerial pictures can't be easy.

January 6 addition.

Then. "July 26, 1921. Woodbine NE corner Corley."

s0372_ss0003_it0328.jpg

Now. December 2010.

DSC_0933.jpg

Wait what!? What is this? A building downgrade?

Strange that that corner store seems to have bitten the dust so evidently early for 40s/50s-style "builder's bungalows"--fire victim, perhaps?

Hello everyone. I thought I would throw my Then and Now pictures into a new thread. No rhyme or reason here and I also thought I'd do some obscure locations.

I'll add to this thread as I casually peruse the Toronto Archives picture image resources and run errands around Toronto accompanied by my trusty Fuji F20 camera.

Ford Street, north from Davenport.
Then.
fo1231_f1231_it0508.jpg

Now.
IMG_0025.jpg

Wow Mayor Rob Ford moved quickly to get rid of Streetcars on the street that bears his name. Only took over 90 years! ;)

World's most wonderful time suck

Hi Mustapha (et al)--

I want to thank you for creating this wonderful thread. I started nosing around in the photo threads in preparation for a Toastmasters speech I did this morning on the Empress Hotel fire, and instead got completely immersed in historic Toronto (a topic I've long been interested in, since the days I volunteered at Ft. York). Incidentally, I saw quite a few photos of the Empress in many of the Yonge Street shots, especially in its life as the Edison Hotel--different shots than the ones everyone seems to be publishing.

I'm only to page 67, and looking forward to many more entertaining hours. I'm really enjoying seeing what preceded the current Eaton Centre. My only regret is that I didn't find this thread last week when it was slow at work!

Hello everyone. I thought I would throw my Then and Now pictures into a new thread. No rhyme or reason here and I also thought I'd do some obscure locations.

I'll add to this thread as I casually peruse the Toronto Archives picture image resources and run errands around Toronto accompanied by my trusty Fuji F20 camera.

Ford Street, north from Davenport.
Then.
fo1231_f1231_it0508.jpg

Now.
IMG_0025.jpg

Wow Mayor Rob Ford moved quickly to get rid of Streetcars on the street that bears his name. Only took over 90 years! ;)

Lol, those streetcars have been gone from that street for over 70 years now. It was a TSR line.

Rob Ford is going to have a challenge if he were to get rid of all the downtown streetcars.

Back